Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Captiva not starting when cold.

• 05-02-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

I got the starter motor replaced recently after having problems starting. Now with the cold mornings or even if it's especially misty out the problem is back. The clicking sound when I popped the bonnet this morning made me think it's a faulty relay. Car was recently serviced and NCT'd.Battery is nearly new so not that. Any ideas folks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I presume it's a diesel, when was the fuel filter last changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I presume it's a diesel, when was the fuel filter last changed?

Only a couple of months ago.Full service done on it. Turned the key and all I got was a clicking sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a glow plug indicator on the dash that you have to wait to go out when you turn the ignition on prior to starting the car on a cold morning?

Is there a glow plug indicator on the dash that you have to wait to go out when you turn the ignition on prior to starting the car on a cold morning?

Yeah,even after heating there was nothing.Started ok this morning.As I said when I popped the bonnet and tried starting it yesterday morning (it was -2) there seemed to be just a clicking sound from a relay but the engine wouldn't turn over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Have you checked the condition of your battery?

• Advertisement

Waterson wrote: »
    Have you checked the condition of your battery?

Battery is perfect.It's an odd one.It's started ok since but I can bet the next really cold morning it won't start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

Have you checked that the battery clamps are tight on the terminals?

cala wrote: »
    Have you checked that the battery clamps are tight on the terminals?

All checked,it's started no problem since.It's the missus' car so I don't drive it all the time-no she informs me that I need to replace brake pads.

I wonder was it a mix of damp weather and cold? I found that sometimes in misty weather if it was blowing into the front grill of my car that it would be hard to start if it was parked up overnight in said weather.

Advertisement