Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money for fox tails, rabbits, greys, mags?

Options
  • 05-02-2017 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Anyone know if there is any place giving money for fox tails, rabbit skins, magpies or greycrows? I kinda doubt it but I'm just checking just incase! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Long time since there was a bounty on the fox tails only thing there worth now is points on the vermin counts

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Tommyaya4 wrote:
    Long time since there was a bounty on the fox tails only thing there worth now is points on the vermin counts

Ah right I was just curious didn't think there really would be but just thought it would be worth asking anyway! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Reckon if the bounty was introduced again ,there would be as many shot as there are deer! Add money to anything in Ireland and you will get the chancers and wasters moving in no time at all.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    Reckon if the bounty was introduced again ,there would be as many shot as there are deer! Add money to anything in Ireland and you will get the chancers and wasters moving in no time at all.

Be good alright if there was a bounty on foxes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Only cowards shoot foxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Shut up you ill informed gimp.

What a stupid ****ing statement on a hunting forum if you don't agree with it why even get involved your opinions are obviously anti hunting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads, relax. I got this.

WOjy315.gif?noredirect

Just report the trolls guys.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Hi Crow ,Pigeon , and Pheasant !
    John Veniard and Co. In England used buy squirrel tails ,and various furs and feathers for their fly tying trade . Perhaps it might be worth your while to pursue that avenue . I don't think you will retire on the income but you never know !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doire4mee

My dad used to tell me that in one county they used to give a bounty for the fox tail and in another the bounty was for the fox tongue so he would get double for a fox!

Not sure how true that was, as my dad would tell the odd tall tail!

No doubt some one will know for definate.

• Advertisement

clawback07 wrote:
    Hi Crow ,Pigeon , and Pheasant ! John Veniard and Co. In England used buy squirrel tails ,and various furs and feathers for their fly tying trade . Perhaps it might be worth your while to pursue that avenue . I don't think you will retire on the income but you never know !!

Yes might be worth seeing about that! Thanks! If anyone knows anything more about this sure let me know please!

doire4mee wrote:
    My dad used to tell me that in one county they used to give a bounty for the fox tail and in another the bounty was for the fox tongue so he would get double for a fox!

doire4mee wrote:

doire4mee wrote:

Haha Thanks! Hopefully someone could tell us for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

doire4mee wrote: »

Many years ago the local Garda Station was tasked with paying the bounty for shot foxes, something like ten shillings which would have bought about three pints back then. They paid on production of the tail which our local Sergeant, having completed the paperwork and handed over the bounty promptly dumped in the rubbish bin from where it was later gainfully retreived to be produced again a day or two later :)

Rosahane wrote:
    Many years ago the local Garda Station was tasked with paying the bounty for shot foxes, something like ten shillings which would have bought about three pints back then. They paid on production of the tail which our local Sergeant, having completed the paperwork and handed over the bounty promptly dumped in the rubbish bin from where it was later gainfully retreived to be produced again a day or two later

Haha good to hear a few stories! Always enjoy hearing different story's! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

doire4mee wrote: »

My Dad made more money on fox bounty in the 50's than he got from a weeks wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Same here, dad often told me only for it back then it got them out many a hole.

Auld lad would have his pints money outta foxing himself and the granddad would keep and rear a vixen for calling in the dogs

My Dad made more money on fox bounty in the 50's than he got from a weeks wages.

blackpearl wrote:

Tommyaya4 wrote:
    Auld lad would have his pints money outta foxing himself and the granddad would keep and rear a vixen for calling in the dogs

blackpearl wrote:

blackpearl wrote:

blackpearl wrote:

Tommyaya4 wrote:

Thanks Yeah sounds quite a good job wasn't too many foxes left around the country those days I'd say!

When the big money was on them for pelts town and country was at them,15 to20 pounds a pelt a lot of clubs doubled up on the number of pheasants they were putting out from the money got on fox shoots.everyone said it would put a end to the foxes how wrong they were .

blackpearl wrote:
    When the big money was on them for pelts town and country was at them,15 to20 pounds a pelt a lot of clubs doubled up on the number of pheasants they were putting out from the money got on fox shoots.everyone said it would put a end to the foxes how wrong they were .

And why did they stop giving money for them? Too expensive? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

At one stage in the 80's, 30,000 foxes were being harvested every year. Went on many a fun fox drive those days and gun clubs were generally much more into fox control then. Foxes though are a very resilient species that unlike others can take heavy harvesting thanx to their high breeding rate and adaptability as shown by their large and ever growing population in town and cities - indeed many recon the current fox population is at an all time high. One change I've noticed since the 80's is the number you see around the country during daylight hours nowadays - a sure sign that hunting pressure has dropped too in many areas

I'd say things changed... back in the day up until the 80s every farmer had a couple of gardens with spudz, veg, a bit of oats a few chickens etc.
    The Fox was seen as a pest to be controlled and the government actively encouraged control.

What changed....well Farming for one, around me my neighbour said the last time he planted a garden with oats or veg was 1987. A lot of farmers have day jobs and they just fodder cattle. Chickens and geese aren't that common.

The knock on is that Ireland is full of crows and magpies very little wild pheasants, farmers get paid to grub up every dirty corner that once was a haven for wildlife drain wet spots...and to put up bird boxes....???.

Birdnuts wrote:
    At one stage in the 80's, 30,000 foxes were being harvested every year. Went on many a fun fox drive those days and gun clubs were generally much more into fox control then. Foxes though are a very resilient species that unlike others can take heavy harvesting thanx to their high breeding rate and adaptability as shown by their large and ever growing population in town and cities - indeed many recon the current fox population is at an all time high. One change I've noticed since the 80's is the number you see around the country during daylight hours nowadays - a sure sign that hunting pressure has dropped too in many areas

I'd say things changed... back in the day up until the 80s every farmer had a couple of gardens with spudz, veg, a bit of oats a few chickens etc. The Fox was seen as a pest to be controlled and the government actively encouraged control.

What changed....well Farming for one, around me my neighbour said the last time he planted a garden with oats or veg was 1987. A lot of farmers have day jobs and they just fodder cattle. Chickens and geese aren't that common.

The knock on is that Ireland is full of crows and magpies very little wild pheasants, farmers get paid to grub up every dirty corner that once was a haven for wildlife drain wet spots...and to put up bird boxes....???.

Thanks for the replys! Yeah plenty of crows around! They need a good hammering if ye ask me! Too many jackdaws around aswell!

boat lods of pelts from abroad dropped the price and fur became unpopular thanks to the antis,but thank god its back and in demand again you never know the price might come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Wasn't it more for a vixen than a dog fox? And with mags or crows it had to be the left foot off them? Something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I was chatting a young American kid on another forum who lived here for several years. He used to snare foxes over the winter, skin them and board them. Sent them over to his uncle in the US, who sold them at auction. He got around 50 dollars a pelt, and seemingly they loved the big Irish pelts.

This was maybe three or four years ago, and fur prices have dropped considerably since then, so maybe not worth it now, but just goes to show it's possible if you have the right connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Eddie B wrote: »
    I was chatting a young American kid on another forum who lived here for several years. He used to snare foxes over the winter, skin them and board them. Sent them over to his uncle in the US, who sold them at auction. He got around 50 dollars a pelt, and seemingly they loved the big Irish pelts.

This was maybe three or four years ago, and fur prices have dropped considerably since then, so maybe not worth it now, but just goes to show it's possible if you have the right connections.

How would you get the smell off the pelt though. Foxes stink

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Depends on how well they are tanned and washed.Properly done there is almost zero oder off them. Thing is;with wild foxes you can never be sure of getting a good close match in the colour and texture to make up a fur coat.For some reason you can do this with farmed fur. [Talked to Barnados in Dublin about this once] The Russians have VAST amounts of furs ,both natural and farmed,so like anything they can supply the worlds fur markets no problem.So us competing with that is an utter non starter. The bounty was great,some lads put themselves thru university with their hunting skills here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

How would you get the smell off the pelt though. Foxes stink

I haven't boarded any fox, but done a few mink just to see how they would turn out. Skinned them, removed fat, washed in warm soapy water and boarded to dry. The boards are easily cut from ply.

Hardly any smell. Actually hung one on the sitting room wall for a year or two.

Actually, another way to make money on prime pelts is to cure the skins yourself, and sell on eBay. Loads doing it from the US, but not many from this side of the water. Loads of video's on YouTube showing how to do it using very accessible ingredients.

Believe me, there is a market for them.

• Advertisement

I remember the NARGC ran a trial a few years bag through a Canadidan fur company about fox furs from Ireland. I think by the time it was all over they got something like €3.00 a pelt.

There wasn't enough quality fur on the animal, weather too mild.

Advertisement