Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money for fox tails, rabbits, greys, mags?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I remember the NARGC ran a trial a few years bag through a Canadidan fur company about fox furs from Ireland. I think by the time it was all over they got something like €3.00 a pelt.

There wasn't enough quality fur on the animal, weather too mild.

Yes our weather is unpredictable at best, and your talking about a very small window even in a cold winter. Saying that, i've got some fox in excellent condition, and the weather wasn't hugely harsh.

A lot of fur trappers I know from the US didn't trap this year because prices were so low, and some of those who did, tanned and sold on ebay, to get some return on the pelts. Fur fashion exploded in china a couple if years ago. All the women had to have a fur coat. Fur prices shot up, but the chinese, being chinese, started manufacturing huge fur farms, and so the bottom fell out of the market.

Can't see it improving any time soon either, so maybe it's a dying practice even in USA/Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Ran a trapping line about 10 mile squre aboout 150 snares along quite mountain roads had to be up every morning at half 5 to look at them done it on a motorbike if you were any later people heading to work with rob them 15 to 20 pounds was alot of money then, remember been stoped at a check point one morning with 7 foxes straped to the tank of the bike that was some interview with the guard he just shook his head and laughed 15 was the best i had done in one morning but mostly 2 or 3 that went on for 2 to 3 years it took its toll on the healt but had great xmas and trips to spain out of it,some hairy mornings when their was snow on the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and story's! Made some interesting reading! If ye have any more please post them all are appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

Haha good to hear a few stories! Always enjoy hearing different story's! Thanks for sharing! :)

Hi lads.. I'm here in co cork and my gun club pays out for fox tails magpie wings grew crows wing mink tails and I think pegions wings.. Once a year ( thinks it's April ). .??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Hi lads.. I'm here in co cork and my gun club pays out for fox tails magpie wings grew crows wing mink tails and I think pegions wings.. Once a year ( thinks it's April ). .??

Does the club actually pay out (i.e. pay the members) or do they get paid a vermin grant based on the number of wings and tails submitted for the vermin count ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Has anyone here actually skinned and tanned a fox pelt? I'd be interested to hear how it turned out. Texture and smell wise.

Think I'd join a club like that! :) interesting to hear about the pigeon wings also! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Takes about 20 foxes to make a fur coat.
    They look keep dropping the needles and are notorious bad sewers because of their paws, cant grip the needles ...

worded wrote: »
    Takes about 20 foxes to make a fur coat.
    They look keep dropping the needles and are notorious bad sewers because of their paws, cant grip the needles ...

Lol brilliant!

I'm in a great club. Won a 100 euro last year for most mink tails handed in, plus 108 from the bounty. Probably done better than most Canadian fur trappers. lol

• Advertisement

Has anyone here actually skinned and tanned a fox pelt? I'd be interested to hear how it turned out. Texture and smell wise.

Here's a cheap way of tanning a hide. Like most methods, it takes a little elbow grease to get the desired result.

Smell wise, it would smell no more than say a stuffed fox. There would actually be no smell of fox off the pelt.

Eddie B wrote:
    I'm in a great club. Won a 100 euro last year for most mink tails handed in, plus 108 from the bounty. Probably done better than most Canadian fur trappers. lol

Eddie B wrote:
    Here's a cheap way of tanning a hide. Like most methods, it takes a little elbow grease to get the desired result.

Eddie B wrote:
    Smell wise, it would smell no more than say a stuffed fox. There would actually be no smell of fox off the pelt.

Great to hear some lads still get something money wise for their work! And Thanks for the information! Like I said before anyone got anything else it's more than appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Never have lads taken payment from the club for vermin lad with the best bag gets a prize usually rounds but every penny the club gets from vermin is use towards buying birds.we have a set amount to spend every year then add the money from the vermin counts to it as a type of bonus the more vermin the more birds the more vermin the more wild birds win win

Tommyaya4 wrote:
    Never have lads taken payment from the club for vermin lad with the best bag gets a prize usually rounds but every penny the club gets from vermin is use towards buying birds.we have a set amount to spend every year then add the money from the vermin counts to it as a type of bonus the more vermin the more birds the more vermin the more wild birds win win

Very nice! It sounds a good plan! Ye should have a good return so!

Tommyaya4 wrote: »

Fair deuce! We raise between there and four grand each year at our Christmas draw. Its our main form of raising funds for the club. The members do huge work selling tickets, and getting donations etc. That's around 50 members I think.

The prize money is a bit of incentive, and thank you, to those who put in the work. Prizes are very small for pheasant and duck competition, because that's the only time we see those members who don't like getting their hands dirty. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

This tread Brings back memories off my youth. My father used to be skinning foxes 5 nights a week. Bought a new corolla in 1979 out of them!
    His routine was , home from work,dinner, skin all from night before, off out lamping, bed , check snares then work. All day Saturday and Sunday was with terriers digging.
    If he hadn't the snares checked early in the morning the local guard would have the foxes stole then try sell them to my father that evening!

Good craic by the sounds of it! ;) Thanks for sharing!

This tread Brings back memories off my youth. My father used to be skinning foxes 5 nights a week. Bought a new corolla in 1979 out of them!
    His routine was , home from work,dinner, skin all from night before, off out lamping, bed , check snares then work. All day Saturday and Sunday was with terriers digging.
    If he hadn't the snares checked early in the morning the local guard would have the foxes stole then try sell them to my father that evening!

They were better times without doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

My Nephew works in a large art suppliers in London. All fine art brushes there are made from squirrel hair.
    I'd expect they have to get them from somewhere..... and pay for it...

Regards tanning, the native american indians said that there is exactly enough oils in the brain of every animal, to tan their hide!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

What a race of people sad what happen them ,all because of greed their way of living was unbeliveable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement