Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phones

Options
  • 05-02-2017 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Mods please move if this is not allowed,

Wondering what types of mobiles do you use while out in all weathers? Have an iPhone and don't use it in case it gets wet,

What mobile do u use and how do you keep it dry? Have an otter box but not waterproof. Don't shoot but walk in all weathers.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Phone is only for emergencies. It stays in a waterproof jacket. And even in an emergency there's only about a 50/50 chance you will have reception (in the Wicklow mountains area).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

lawlolawl wrote:
    Offer them a house down the country, plenty of empty/low cost units down here, and if they don't want that then they can stay living on the streets in Dublin.

I have a Moto g 3rd generation, it's been wet a few times as I spend a lot of time hillwalking and kayaking. Check out the reviews on YouTube. One of the main selling points is it is water resistant. Very good phone for the price. It's the main reason I bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get waterproof cases for all sizes of mobiles. Aquapac are a well known brand. Mountain Rescue use them for their radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

I seem to have double posted. Many thanks for the replies. Evening walks are done in the town and I have discovered Spotify recently so the aquapac might not be suitable due to headphones.
    Samsung do an xcover 3 on pay as u go..Which is ip67 rated.. but local shops are out of stock. Only on Vodafone..
    Any one have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I used an iphone in a plastic bag in a dry pocket for years, then got a newer phone to put in the plastic bag as screens smashed at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Samsung S7 Edge.

Had a htc1 that twice 'died' due to getting wet while hiking. Decided to get a waterproof phone after that. Plus it has a good battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I just carry a cheap Samsung flip phone for emergencies charged up with credit on the SIM but switched off. Keep it in a padded waterproof bag. I don't think anyone else has the number. I don't want to be called anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

my3cents wrote: »
    I just carry a cheap Samsung flip phone for emergencies charged up with credit on the SIM but switched off. Keep it in a padded waterproof bag. I don't think anyone else has the number. I don't want to be called anyway.
    I have my smartphone with me, in a waterproof Aquapac case, but also an ancient Nokia that has a standby battery life measured in weeks, again switched off just in case of emergencies when I may need a phone I can rely on to work reliably for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Glonass

if money is not an issue Cat S60 seems promising. galaxy s7 is water resistant and has good battery life and emergency mode embedded into the system.now these pricey phones. best option is have a main phone with whatever network you are on and have another MINI phone with Vodafone sim in your emergency kit.on amazon and eBay there are lots of a finger sized cheap phones for emergency use. I read some reviews and funny enough people smuggle to prisons because of their small size and made of mostly plastic. Personally packing everything into 1 smartphone seems bad idea in case of emergency.cheap zip bags from pound shop does it for me.;)

A 3 or 4 year old Nokia, not a smartphone. It's bounced off rocks, fallen into bogholes, survived snow and ice, and if it ever does actually break, it only cost about €50 anyway so no biggie...

• Advertisement
Advertisement