Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running ac mains cable in the wall horizontally

Options
  • 05-02-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'd like to install a new socket in our living room. As I do not want to lift the floor nor do I want to open the ceiling, the simplest is to make a horizontal groove in the wall from an already existing socket and run the cable horizontally within the wall. Someone told me that cables should only ever be run vertically and if I insist on doing it horizontally I should use an extra cable type. Unfortunately I forgot the name of this extra cable type. Could someone please let me know the type of the cable to purchase for this project. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

bjdodo wrote: »
    I'd like to install a new socket in our living room. As I do not want to lift the floor nor do I want to open the ceiling, the simplest is to make a horizontal groove in the wall from an already existing socket and run the cable horizontally within the wall. Someone told me that cables should only ever be run vertically and if I insist on doing it horizontally I should use an extra cable type. Unfortunately I forgot the name of this extra cable type. Could someone please let me know the type of the cable to purchase for this project. Thank you!

The reason it is not advisable to run a cable horizontally is because it increases the chances someone drilling through it. If you can find a type of cable that cannot possibly be drilled through then this is the type of cable you need.
    I don't believe such cable exists so you may have to look at other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Stick it under the skirting?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stick it under the skirting?

This is not permitted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Once sufficient mechanical protection is provided the cables can be run horizontaly. For example steel conduit would provide the necessary protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Once sufficient mechanical protection is provided the cables can be run horizontaly. For example steel conduit would provide the necessary protection.
    Although many seem to dislike horizontal runs, they certainly aren't prohibited and are within so-called "safe zones" and as such do not require earthed metallic protection such as steel conduit or SWA or MIMS. It is perfectly acceptable to bury PVC/PVC cable in a wall horizontally between two accessories.

• Advertisement

bjdodo wrote: »
    Someone told me that cables should only ever be run vertically and if I insist on doing it horizontally I should use an extra cable type.
    Ask him to cite the ET101 Rule number which he is claiming is breached by the arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

SWA. :pac:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Running the cable externally through some plastic conduit is far quicker and easier than trying to run it behind the plasterboard. Run it along the top of the skirt and you won't even notice it's there. You can get different sizes and colours of conduit to blend it in.

Unless you're fitting a new socket to an exposed internal wall like in a hallway or you're repainting the wall anyway, I'd always go with just running it along the skirt in some conduit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

seamus wrote: »
    Running the cable externally through some plastic conduit is far quicker and easier than trying to run it behind the plasterboard. Run it along the top of the skirt and you won't even notice it's there. You can get different sizes and colours of conduit to blend it in.

Unless you're fitting a new socket to an exposed internal wall like in a hallway or you're repainting the wall anyway, I'd always go with just running it along the skirt in some conduit

Trunking would be better for this then conduit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

extra sockets horizontally ?

say no more

YXOHikD.jpg

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Ask him to cite the ET101 Rule number which he is claiming is breached by the arrangement.

I would think that this he is referring to 522.6.4, (page 83 of ET101:2008) which states:
    Wiring embedded in solid walls

Wiring embedded in solid walls or in unbuttoned dry-lined walls shall be protected by an earthed metal screen, armouring, metal conduit or trunking, against damage by impact or penetration by drills or nails except where the following two conditions apply:

a) The distance measured horizontally between the wiring and the reverse side of the wall is not less than 50 mm.

b) The wiring is installed:

- in a straight vertical or horizontal run going directly to a point, accessory or switchgear mounted on a wall, or
    - within a vertical distance of 150 mm from a ceiling, or
    - within a horizontal distance of 150 mm from a corner formed by two adjoining walls.

I would think that this he is referring to 522.6.4, (page 83 of ET101:2008) which states:  
    Wiring embedded in solid walls

Wiring embedded in solid walls or in unbuttoned dry-lined walls shall be protected by an earthed metal screen, armouring, metal conduit or trunking, against damage by impact or penetration by drills or nails except where the following two conditions apply:

a) The distance measured horizontally between the wiring and the reverse side of the wall is not less than 50 mm.

b) The wiring is installed:

- in a straight vertical or horizontal run going directly to a point, accessory or switchgear mounted on a wall, or
    - within a vertical distance of 150 mm from a ceiling, or
    - within a horizontal distance of 150 mm from a corner formed by two adjoining walls.
    Those two conditions will invariably apply though - this applies equally to horizontal and vertical routing anyway so he can't claim one is fine and the other prohibited.

Those two conditions will invariably apply though - this applies equally to horizontal and vertical routing anyway so he can't claim one is fine and the other prohibited.

True, but I can't think of any other rule that discusses mechanical protection for wiring embedded in a solid wall. I am guessing that the OP is dealing with a solid wall as the plan is to "make a horizontal groove in the wall".

True, but I can't think of any other rule that discusses mechanical protection for wiring embedded in a solid wall. I am guessing that the OP is dealing with a solid wall as the plan is to "make a horizontal groove in the wall".
    Of course, but if he has tracked the wall to such an extent that the reverse side of the wall is less than 2" from the wiring then I would suggest he is likely to have compromised the structural integrity of the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Reci news letter 2016 has a good graphic of can and cannot. Last section of letter.

http://www.reci.ie/LatestNews/OurNewsLetter.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bjdodo

Thank you for everyone's post, you guys were really helpful.

From the newsletters in Tuco88's post I believe the page that applies to this case is in the 2016 August one on page 7.

One quote from this:

"Although cable routes are shown on the drawing below, horizontal chases should be avoided (unless approved by an engineer) as they
    can seriously weaken the structure if not in compliance with Part ‘A’ (1.1.3.21) of the Building regulations and the National Annex to I.S. EN 1996-1-1. "

So apparently it is a structural risk and not a problem related to drilling or electrical regulations. I'll go ahead and do this. Thank you again for all your help.

Advertisement