Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda vetting/police certs.

• 05-02-2017 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long question because I'm in a conundrum.

A while back I was planning on heading to Canada for which I needed a Garda cert. No problem, I had it three days later. It said on the letter that it was for the use of the Canadian immigration authorities but I thought nothing of it. Fast forward a month and I'm actually heading to Australia on a 417 instead for which you don't need a Garda cert.

My problem is that my profession means I'll be trying to work mostly on the mines in Western Australia and nearly all employers require a national police certificate. I've been to Australia before but don't have a criminal record. Do I have to go through the whole thing anyway from the state and federal agencies? I went down to the Garda station today to get another Garda cert that didn't have the Canadian restriction but the Garda told me that I'd have to go through Garda vetting instead because the certs are only typically for visas, not private employers.

I started to get a little annoyed because I know someone who went through Garda vetting just to work retail in Dublin and it took nearly a month. It's completely impractical to expect any potential employer in Australia to have to file paper applications to a police station on the other side of the world to find out if I have a criminal record when I have a piece of paper with a Garda stamp that says I have no convictions but I can't use it because it says it's only for the Canadian authorities.

Does anybody know what to do? Has anyone else in Australia similarly been required to have a National Police Certificate? What did you use?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irish_Aus

Hi Troyzer, 
    I was required to have a National Police check for a position I had in Melbourne. The company I worked for completed the check on my behalf and only took 24 hours to process and come back clear. 
    Maybe check and see if the company you are working for intend on applying on your behalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

ciarand11 wrote: »
    Hi Troyzer, 
    I was required to have a National Police check for a position I had in Melbourne. The company I worked for completed the check on my behalf and only took 24 hours to process and come back clear. 
    Maybe check and see if the company you are working for intend on applying on your behalf?

There isn't a company in particular I plan on working for yet. I have friends that I'm staying with but nothing firm on job front yet. Did your company check your Irish criminal record or your Australian record?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irish_Aus

This was a few years ago when I worked for a charity in Melbourne, but was an Australian national police clearance. Quite a few companies do the checks and charge around $50 with a quick turn around. I would be surprised if you needed a Garda check too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

troyzer wrote: »
    Bit of a long question because I'm in a conundrum.

A while back I was planning on heading to Canada for which I needed a Garda cert. No problem, I had it three days later. It said on the letter that it was for the use of the Canadian immigration authorities but I thought nothing of it. Fast forward a month and I'm actually heading to Australia on a 417 instead for which you don't need a Garda cert.

My problem is that my profession means I'll be trying to work mostly on the mines in Western Australia and nearly all employers require a national police certificate. I've been to Australia before but don't have a criminal record. Do I have to go through the whole thing anyway from the state and federal agencies? I went down to the Garda station today to get another Garda cert that didn't have the Canadian restriction but the Garda told me that I'd have to go through Garda vetting instead because the certs are only typically for visas, not private employers.

I started to get a little annoyed because I know someone who went through Garda vetting just to work retail in Dublin and it took nearly a month. It's completely impractical to expect any potential employer in Australia to have to file paper applications to a police station on the other side of the world to find out if I have a criminal record when I have a piece of paper with a Garda stamp that says I have no convictions but I can't use it because it says it's only for the Canadian authorities.

Does anybody know what to do? Has anyone else in Australia similarly been required to have a National Police Certificate? What did you use?

Cheers in advance.

I have worked on many different mines over the last few years and have never had to get a national police certificate. Is this specific to your occupation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I did 5 years in the mines, several companies...never needed police check or anything. Maybe if you are working with explosives perhaps?

• Advertisement
Advertisement