Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI - Worthwhile?

Options
  • 05-02-2017 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Don't know if this is in the right spot.

Basically - Children accepted for CTYI courses in DCU. Wondering are they worth the cost (Courses not children)?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My child has done a few. He enjoyed them, but they are very expensive. We haven't done any for a couple of years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They are worthwhile. My kids did them for a few years. Got exposure to courses that they never would have in school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They are certainly worthwhile, if a little expensive. Exposing your child to courses like these is advantageous and can stimulate them in a totally different way to normal school. My daughter loved doing them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Definitely worthwhile in my opinion too.
    Our son is much more open minded and confident than I think he might otherwise be after having taken part.
    He's learned a huge amount on the courses themselves of course, but the friendships he's made there over the years are at least as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Depends on the course and on the teacher. My son did it for a few years on and off - some courses he loved and got a lot out of, others not so much.

• Advertisement

I don't know if they're worth the cost. I suppose it all depends on the child. My lad is a big learner anyway. Learning is just his hobby!! So he learns all kinds of strange and obscure things himself, anyway, without the courses.

I have to say, he did enjoy doing them. But we haven't sent him on any in the last 2 years and he hasn't asked to go on any. If he seemed more interested we'd come up with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Thanks for the replies.

Will have a think about it over the next few weeks. They can be challenged in plenty of other fields too so just don't want to be having them in school type learning all the time. Plenty of stuff to be learned in books or in the garden or shed but if this CTYI grabs the imagination I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I attended CTYI from the age of 6 to 16 and found it really beneficial. The courses really are worthwhile. There's a good social aspect to it as well especially if someone struggles socially or feels a bit isolated in school. When I went to the older residential summer programme people there had friends from previous years and still stay in contact. I'd definitely recommend trying it out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

I did CTYI too - long time ago now (almost 20 years!), but still have great memories. If you can manage its definitely worth it - can be great for self confidence. Really opened my eyes to a whole world of opportunities and ambitions I might never have considered otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

Thanks for the replies.

Will have a think about it over the next few weeks. They can be challenged in plenty of other fields too so just don't want to be having them in school type learning all the time. Plenty of stuff to be learned in books or in the garden or shed but if this CTYI grabs the imagination I'm all for it.

The learning is only half of it, the best is to be around other kids where you really feel you can be yourself, where intelligence and intellectual curiousity is celebrated and supported instead of being an excuse for a dead arm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

lcwill wrote: »
    The learning is only half of it, the best is to be around other kids where you really feel you can be yourself, where intelligence and intellectual curiousity is celebrated and supported instead of being an excuse for a dead arm.
    I absolutely agree, so good for the students to be allowed to be "clever." In our school, I work with the EA children and the safe peer space this creates is at the very least equally important to any "work" done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Few things ( I'm open to correction)

Is it only open to 'talented youth', ie what are the criteria for entry?
    Are there places reserved for talented youth who's parents can't afford the fees?

Edit: Other than that I wouldn't mind sending my kids there (if I can afford it!), I like the idea of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Entry is either though a psycho-ed assessment or an entrance exam. There is some funding for disadvantaged children, but as ever this is cut to the bone .

We applied to have our son assessed and had to go to Cork for the test. We done this independently of school, on the recommendation of byhookorbycrook if I remember correctly!! Our son did the assessment 4 or 5 years ago, and it's only this year a new teacher to the school has been sending out notes to parents whose children are scoring consistently high on their STEN tests to look into applying for the assessment.

It was €45 to do the assessment/entrance exam when my son did it. Not sure if that has changed now. You can check the CTYI website.

Even if a child doesn't attend but " passes " the entrance test , it's an independent and objective indication that the child has indeed exceptional ability . And not just that mum/dad/teacher / granny say so !

Advertisement