Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeplugs and d1000 in bridge mode for wifi upstairs

Options
  • 06-02-2017 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

Hi

trying to use the above set up to give a better wifi connection. It works at my house however the house where I want to install it at, it just won't connect. Any ideas?

Regards

FN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

All sockets connected to the same fuseboard? Also, as you're bridging, is there a second router involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

I presume there's only one fusebox as it's a residential house.

The either d1000 is the 2nd router and it is bridged, can't remember name of the main router, will check on next visit.
    degsie wrote: »
    All sockets connected to the same fuseboard? Also, as you're bridging, is there a second router involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cables could be bad quality, could be two RCD boards, old houses could have multiple phases active, power cables could be coming from another house.

funnyname wrote: »
    The either d1000 is the 2nd router and it is bridged, can't remember name of the main router, will check on next visit.

Not getting this, do you mean the d1000 is configured as an access point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

So the set up is main router (can't remember the name of it) is connected to the main internet point, then there's a homeplug connected to it. Then in another far away room I have a 2nd homeplug and connected to this is a bridged eir D1000 router. However although this setup works in my house it doesn't work at my in-laws.
    degsie wrote: »
    Not getting this, do you mean the d1000 is configured as an access point?

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    So the set up is main router (can't remember the name of it) is connected to the main internet point, then there's a homeplug connected to it. Then in another far away room I have a 2nd homeplug and connected to this is a bridged eir D1000 router. However although this setup works in my house it doesn't work at my in-laws.

Have you tried plugging anything else (e.g. a laptop) directly into the 2nd homeplug to check if you have internet access?

Rather than bridging the d1000 can it be configured as an access point? This is generally how you extend access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So router connected to homeplug, which connects to homeplug, which connects to a D1000, which is bridged to the router, which connects to the homeplug, which is connected to a homeplug, which is connected to a D1000, which is bridged to the router, which connects to homeplug........

Either your use of terminology is off or you have a serious problem.

Does the D1000 simply just advertise a wireless network with the same SSID and password(access point), or is it actually connected via wireless to the main router(bridging)?

As for the other house, homeplugs are hit and miss. They can at times not work for a variety of reasons.

As for wireless extending/bridging. Never do it, its a waste of time and money.

Advertisement