Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home survey(property purchase )

Options
  • 06-02-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering what people's opinions are on getting a home surveyed prior to purchase
    I'm in the construction game myself(carpenter) and have been through the house thouroughly, I know the builder of the property and the home has been built about 10/12 years and I can't see any structural defects or issues.
    I'm just wondering is it worth getting a structural engineer to view the property prior to purchase or would I be best get another builder(whom I have previously worked for) to check over the property for any defects ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I can only speak for my own experience. I got an engineer to look at a house I knew needed some work. His report led to me severely limiting my maximum bid. I didn't get it, house went for 40k more than my top bid. New owner has worked in construction all their life, they didn't get an engineer to look at it, severely underestimated the cost of the work needed. They are still happy in their new house as they could do a lot of the work themselves, but in my opinion the survey was some of the best money I have spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

After our first experience going sale agreed on a house - i wouldnt buy a house without a survey. The house we had, we thought maybe 20k to get it up to spec, survey done and showed up major issues that we completely missed and wouldve cost us in the region of 80-100k to rectify all the issues, Some structural.

Pulled our offer on the house. Was very grateful that my dad talked us into getting the survey done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

andyh85 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering what people's opinions are on getting a home surveyed prior to purchase
    I'm in the construction game myself(carpenter) and have been through the house thouroughly, I know the builder of the property and the home has been built about 10/12 years and I can't see any structural defects or issues.
    I'm just wondering is it worth getting a structural engineer to view the property prior to purchase or would I be best get another builder(whom I have previously worked for) to check over the property for any defects ?

Thanks in advance

Get the survey to satisfy planning and building regulation irregularities. With regards to getting the structure checked, he can only check what's visible.

We are not allowed carry out opening up works, so foundations, walls etc will not be checked. Visible signs of cracking, or settlement of heave will be looked for and the roof rafter if exposed will be checked for rot etc

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Strikor

Anyone know a good property surveyor in Wicklow? or that would do a house in Wicklow ?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I would not bother getting a survey on a house thats 12 years old unless i had reason to believe there may be a serious problem that will cost 1000,s to repair .
    Say the house was 30 years old,
    i would make a bid subject to a survey.
    eg if my bid is accepted i can decrease my bid if a survey shows theres
    serious expensive repairs needed .
    Why pay for a survey when you dont know if someone else may buy the house by outbidding you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

riclad wrote: »
    I would not bother getting a survey on a house thats 12 years old unless i had reason to believe there may be a serious problem that will cost 1000,s to repair .
    Say the house was 30 years old,
    i would make a bid subject to a survey.
    eg if my bid is accepted i can decrease my bid if a survey shows theres
    serious expensive repairs needed .
    Why pay for a survey when you dont know if someone else may buy the house by outbidding you.

Because your bank won't give you a mortgage without the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

I've surveyed a lot of houses that were built approximately 12 years ago, and irrespective of the mortgage requirements, I would definitely get one if i were the OP.

All these houses look fine, but once you go into the roof space you will usually find issues with respect to fire proofing and insulation. That's not to mention other issues arising with respect to poor chimney liners, uneven slabs, problems with external wall cavities etc.

It's worth it for the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The point i,m making is i would not get a survey unless my bid is accepted ,why pay 400 euro and then find that someone else has outbid you .
    if you make a a serious bid on a house the seller will likely allow you
    to inspect the attic and see what insulation they have installed .
    What a waste of money if every person who bids on a house has to get a structural survey .
    A bank survey is not a full structural survey in my experience .
    They send someone to look at the house and see is it in good condition.
    IF your bid is accepted you can still get a survey if you think there might be serious issues with the house .
    You wont be getting a loan on the house unless your bid is accepted as the final bid.

Advertisement