Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging outside LIDL

• 06-02-2017 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Almost three years after these people begging outside LIDL on the Ennis Road, I'm amazed to see this pair still working away without a bother in the world.

This was highlighted previously in the local press & radio and there was a bit of a reaction when one of the store staff was accused of throwing a bucket of water over a 'homeless man'.

I spoke to LIDL a few times and the bottom line is, they either can't do anything to permanently stop this behaviour, or what I suspect, they can't really be bothered. They told me they had put up a sign stating that loitering was forbidden, and that's about the sum-total of their efforts.

This was the scene last Saturday morning, and they were hassling people, including myself, for money. When they have enough money gathered, they're over to the off-license in Dunnes.

I see the small kid is even getting a good look at the action.

Shame there's no solution.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good reason to shop elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Posting their pictures on a message board is a pretty sh**y thing to do. I don't think I would like to have my picture plastered all over the internet if my life was at such a low ebb that I had to beg people for money on the street :(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've removed the pictures of those people. There's no benefit to it.

Also, I've gone by there loads of times. I've seen the various lads there. They've asked me for money, and I said no. I wouldn't call it being hassled for money. Maybe they are doing more to you, but if that is the case, the management of the store is the ones to be speaking to. Not posting pictures of families begging. Please don't do it again. I realise the pictures were from far away, but they may be identifiable, particularly to people they know.

I don't know what your reasoning for putting those up was, but I don't think we need to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What's the issue? That people are begging? Genuine question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

A good reason to shop elsewhere.

Hardly Lidl's fault though, is it? There's probably only so much the store can do. There was absolute uproar when that tattoo shop in Dublin put up sprinklers to keep people from sleeping in the doorways.....

You can never win!!

Strange case! I've never experienced or even heard of anyone begging outside either Lidl or Aldi. I shop in Lidl because I'm broke as fcuk; would they not be better off begging outside Supervalu or even Dunnes?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Those saying that there is a simple solution to the problem of being asked for money should at least concede that there is also a simple solution to the problem of being seen or photographed begging...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

What's the issue? That people are begging? Genuine question

It's not like they're begging for food or clothes. It's purely a funding exercise for alcohol.
    The routine is exactly the same every day. I have seen him/them collect a certain amount of money, then head over to Dunnes and stock up with a bag of cans, then head up home to the gentleman's home. He isn't as badly off as people might think, by the way.

This is why I find it objectionable.....many well-intentioned people give them money, thinking they are homeless and hungry/cold.

If their lives are at a low ebb as another poster suggested, then their situation is hardly being helped by tolerating their behaviour or facilitating their alcohol-dependence by letting the situation go unchecked.

Customers are entitled to go about their business without having to deal with being asked for money. Several locals near me no longer shop there, and I am now doing likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I feel sorry for Lidl. If they did try to ask them to move on or ring the Gardai to say the beggers were harassing people they would probably be painted by the popular opinion as a big corporation attacking the poor.

For better or for worse we have a much more sympathetic attitude towards begging than some other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Got here after the picture was removed but I'm sure I know the guy who was pictured, and I agree that he can get quite vocal after you blank him. It can be intimidating for shoppers going into Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

PetKing wrote: »
    Got here after the picture was removed but I'm sure I know the guy who was pictured, and I agree that he can get quite vocal after you blank him. It can be intimidating for shoppers going into Lidl.

He can indeed be a nasty individual on occasion, as I once found out when I ignored his request for money.

A female neighbour of mine is nervous of him and she only shops there when he's not present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Not that you should ever have to deal with him being abusive towards you but just tell him to "fu*k off and get a job" if he directs any guff towards you.

A response like that will put him back in his box and has worked for me on numerous occasions.

If he spent one fifth of the time he spends sitting on his hole outside Lidl looking for a job there would be no fear of the useless waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

When he is sober he is grand. He'll stay quiet and won't even ask everyone for a few bob but when he gets a few drinks into him he can be aggressive.

Jofspring wrote: »
    When he is sober he is grand. He'll stay quiet and won't even ask everyone for a few bob but when he gets a few drinks into him he can be aggressive.
    Get off his hole a look for a job. This country is a joke. He gets social welfare and most likely other handouts from the state which should be more than enough.
    Only reason he is there is because it is handy money for him. 
    Lazy good for nothing waster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Get off his hole a look for a job. This country is a joke. He gets social welfare and most likely other handouts from the state which should be more than enough.
    Only reason he is there is because it is handy money for him. 
    Lazy good for nothing waster.
    I thought I had wandered into AH there for a minute.

tippman1 wrote: »
    Almost three years after these people begging outside LIDL on the Ennis Road, I'm amazed to see this pair still working away without a bother in the world.

This was highlighted previously in the local press & radio and there was a bit of a reaction when one of the store staff was accused of throwing a bucket of water over a 'homeless man'.

I spoke to LIDL  a few times and the bottom line is, they either can't do anything to permanently stop this behaviour, or what I suspect, they can't really be bothered. They told me they had put up a sign stating that loitering was forbidden, and that's about the sum-total of their efforts.

This was the scene last Saturday morning, and they were hassling people, including myself, for money. When they have enough money gathered, they're over to the off-license in Dunnes.

I see the small kid is even getting a good look at the action.

Shame there's no solution.
    Your thread from 2015 on the same topic.
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057518923?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*MOD NOTE* Go to AH and rant lads. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement