Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you wait until the noticable dip in voltage before landing?

Options
  • 06-02-2017 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I have rc heli and quadcopter and the timer I feel is a very inaccurate way to judge capacity remaining in the lipo?

Any ideas? Does telemetry solve this problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You will sense the voltage decay very well, but not while learning to fly.

Telemetry only works if you look at the meter, reading, and away from the model while flying it ....
    And battery performance will be better on warm days and less good on colder days, though it's not a major factor it is a real difference for use of the same battery in the same model. In colder weather use of the battery "hot" off the charger can compensate for that effect.

One thing is sure, your sense of timing via your internal clock won't be working right until after you master the flying skills.

Just my 10 cents! Your mileage may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

Bit late to the party, but telemetry can help a lot with this and voltage is the biggest and best indicator imo. Which transmitter are you using? With my Taranis, I pull telemetry from my Rx via smartport (VFAS (total) or A4 if you prefer (cell)) and have logical switches setup to read out the voltage at around 3.4v every 10s. I also have it set to ignore voltage sag over a certain throttle value, because sag is normal under full load but will bounce back when you've eased off, how quickly it sags will depend on the quality of your battery but throughput of a lipo deteriorates very quickly after 3.2v and can be damaging to the internal chemistry going under 3v. I chose 3.4 cause it won't be far off storage voltage of (3.8) when they're at rest, and I can parallel charge them without having to balance them individually first. If I'm feeling frisky and enjoying myself too much, I'll skirt down close to 3.2/3v..it will have a negative overall impact on the battery capacity and possibly performance in the long run, but hey, you only live once.

Cold weather def has an effect on batteries, some more than others, graphenes I've found suffer more, but warm them up first and should negate some of those problems. Some people use lipo warmers.. others just keep in their pockets.. *shrugs* :) So long as you know your voltage, shouldn't matter so much.

Advertisement