Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is commercial insurance cheaper?

Options
  • 06-02-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Just swapped jobs. For my new job it would be useful but not nessasary to have a pick up.

I have only 1 year driving on my own policy, and a years named driver before that. Would commercial insurance likely be cheaper if I swapped my car for a pickup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

Commercial insure would probably be more expensive.
    Commercial tax, on the other hand, would be cheaper. Based on my experience (I have looked into commercial vehicle for private use) it works out approx the same when the tax and insurance is calculated. Also, I have been told by a Nissan dealer that if you are not VAT registered, the tax payable on a new commercial is calculated by the engine size and not the emissions.
    I am looking at buying a Navara at the moment and my insurer (Allianz) has told me that because the Navara is commercially taxed, I can't get private insurance - looks like they have closed this loop hole as well

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Commercial vehicles - those classed as such on the log book - can never be taxed based on CO2. If the owner qualifies for commercial tax rates then they pay the €333 or whatever it currently is. If the owner does not qualify for commercial tax (legitimate business use 100% of the time) then the tax rate will be based on the old engine CC system.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

oinkely wrote: »
    Commercial vehicles - those classed as such on the log book - can never be taxed based on CO2.  If the owner qualifies for commercial tax rates then they pay the €333 or whatever it currently is.  If the owner does not qualify for commercial tax (legitimate business use 100% of the time) then the tax rate will be based on the old engine CC system.
    Cheers - so if the vehicle's log book is converted to private, does CO2 emissions come into play?

Cheers - so if the vehicle's log book is converted to private, does CO2 emissions come into play?

then the tax rate will be based on the CC system

Advertisement