Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North King Street Shops from 1930 - 1980's

Options
  • 05-02-2017 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hello, new to Boards, so no sure what protocol is, looking for shops on North King street dublin 7. My Great grandmother had a shop there it was still running up to 1980, if anyone can point me in right direction of any sites or people that can help. Have been googling for a few weeks now, no joy so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Thoms Directory is good for find stuff if you dot have specific addresses etc

There should be copies from earlier years in the city archives on Pearse Street, top floor of Pearse St library.

Ilac or central library may have them too.

Thoms is searchable online but there is a cost.

City council has archive photos online, a search should find them,
    I think they're classified by business and or years or year ranges

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭doctorwho-fan

Thanks for the help, will ask in Pearse street, have been there many times didn't know they had photo archives. have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The history & heritage forum is a good place to start.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=330

My father grew up in North Kings Street and named a few shops he remembered before the street was effectively demolished. I also searched the DCC archive and here are some results that may help you.

Charles Burkes Hairdressers.
    Patterson Saddlers.
    Valentine Morgan Butcher.
    L Dubhdail - Newsagents/tobacconist.
    P. Nolan's.
    Tony's.
    Smithfield furniture.
    J. Moran & Son's - Butchers.
    Mulhalls - Newsagents.

Great thanks for the help. will check that forum out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement

Thanks so much, shop is down as 155 n K S, originally at 151 then I heard they moved. x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Page 576 in this one shows how much was gone or derelict by then (1986).
    http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/nbl/lh_nbl_show5.php?mysession=&choice=&id=068396&pdfpage=576

Advertisement