Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Guitar Bridge Re-glue

Options
  • 06-02-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Howdy all,

Shout out to the guitar tech's and luthiers out there.

I have an acoustic with a slightly lifting bridge. You can slide a sheet of paper in between the back edges and the guitar top.

The guitar itself is a beater (Black Craftine acoustic with no pickup) which I bring around to jamming sessions or parties so as not to risk one of my decent guitars getting damaged.

As a result, It doesn't get the care it should (left in cold/hot places etc) which has led to the issue above

Anyway, I'm going to tackle the job myself ( as I do) and I was wondering what ye guys use to clamp the bridge down once you remove the bridge and re-glue?

Ive seen a few tools on line for the job (bridge caul etc) but they seem expensive.

Would a few c clamps do the job? Where could I get ones the right depth?

Let me know what you use.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Glue?

bog standard white PVA wood glue from your local hardware store.

its what everyone uses.

as to clamping a bridge, I have long reach C clamps, but for a one off?

make long arms from wood.

Describing this is tricky without pics......

two matching long pieces of wood which meet at one end to make a hinge, and then the other ends go one inside, one outside at the bridge.

apply a real clamp to pull the two pieces together as near the bridge as it'll reasch.

oh yes, wipe of any excess glue with a damp cloth before it dries.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Glue?

bog standard white PVA wood glue from your local hardware store.

its what everyone uses.

as to clamping a bridge, I have long reach C clamps, but for a one off?

make long arms from wood.

Describing this is tricky without pics......

two matching long pieces of wood which meet at one end to make a hinge, and then the other ends go one inside, one outside at the bridge.

apply a real clamp to pull the two pieces together as near the bridge as it'll reasch.

oh yes, wipe of any excess glue with a damp cloth before it dries.

I think I can picture what you are describing. Will that provide the necessary pressure across the full width of the bridge??

I'm tempted to just get the bridge caul, its about €30 plus shipping and clamps evenly across the bridge through the peg holes.

And I didn't think I asked what to stick it with.....did I ha ha ha. But while we're on the subject, I might as well ask if you have ever used hide glue??

I was going to use Gorilla's version of PVA glue as it stuck two wooden pieces of an old (De-commissioned) rifle together very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

There is another technique that you could use.

bridge6.jpg

They have made a caul to match the shape of the bridge and another internally to fit over the braces. They have then run 2 bolts through the bridge pin holes.This technique can work out fine but is sometimes not as effective as using the proper clamps. The proper clamps allow you to focus pressure on the back edge of the bridge where its most likely to lift up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

never used hide glue.

Antique restorers use it but unless the guitar in question was made before about 1960, then there is no hide glue anywhere near it!

as to equal pressure?

make two sets of reach arms!

Advertisement