Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike lock.

Options
  • 06-02-2017 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm heading into my local bike shop later to get a lock.

Which type of lock are the best to buy these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

+1 on Kryptonite New York. They are heavy though, and are better as a lock you leave in work. If you have a quick release on your wheels, you'll need a cable to thread through those also. Or get security skewers.

Remember, it's not just the lock you use but how you use it and what you lock it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Is it an expensive bike?
    The new york lock is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Almost regardless of the bike, €50 for a New York Kryptonite is a bargain.

• Advertisement

rflynnr wrote: »
    Almost regardless of the bike, €50 for a New York Kryptonite is a bargain.

Ah you're right yeah, didn't open that link. €50 is an excellent price. The standard price is a good bit higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Kryptonite D lock is as good as anything, once you lock the frame to the fixing properly and there's not enough gap left to use a lever.

This leaves an angle grinder as the only option to break it, which most opportunists wont be bothered with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it an expensive bike?
    Unless the bike is worth very little more than the lock, it is worth getting. Rather than having to buy the bike twice, which will be alot more than the lock.
    51 euro is a good price for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini-lock is good too. Its shackle is a lot smaller than the NY lock, which is both good (harder to prise/bottlejack) and bad (fewer options for locking to things).

CramCycle wrote: »
    Unless the bike is worth very little more than the lock, it is worth getting. Rather than having to buy the bike twice, which will be alot more than the lock.
    51 euro is a good price for it as well.

I'd always thought the rule of thumb was spend at least 10% of bike price on the lock. If the bike was worth over a grand though I simply wouldn't lock it out on a big city street.
    For e.g. those ABUS locks for €91 in css - I'd be in two minds about spending that much. A small bit more expensive bike won't be exposed to that kind of risk as it shouldn't be parked on-street and a small bit cheaper bike might not warrant such an investment. It's a fine line. Tis all subjective I suppose.
    Now, €51 (+ €6 p&p) is cheaper than I thought so all that's a bit redundant. :)

• Advertisement

I'd always thought the rule of thumb was spend at least 10% of bike price on the lock. If the bike was worth over a grand though I simply wouldn't lock it out on a big city street.

That rule of thumb generally only applies once the bike is worth over a certain amount. You can buy a bike in Halfords for 100euro, heavy as hell but if it is all you can afford, it is worth more than a 10euro cable lock which can be broken by brute force or a scissors.

Is it an expensive bike?

€1300

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Tilikum wrote: »
    €1300

Go for the Kryptonite!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have the Kryptonite NewYork Fahgettaboudit lock. Excellent lock, heavy enough to brain an elephant with, and whilst physically smaller than the New York lock, it also makes it far harder for thieves to exploit space with which to try and leverage the lock apart. To be frank OP: if you're quibbling over paying out €50 to give yourself better odds of keeping €1300 safe, just sell your bike. At least you'll get the money back. Unlike a stolen bike.

Lemming wrote: »
    I have the Kryptonite NewYork Fahgettaboudit lock. Excellent lock, heavy enough to brain an elephant with, and whilst physically smaller than the New York lock, it also makes it far harder for thieves to exploit space with which to try and leverage the lock apart. To be frank OP: if you're quibbling over paying out €50 to give yourself better odds of keeping €1300 safe, just sell your bike. At least you'll get the money back. Unlike a stolen bike.

I'm not quibbling at all. I was asking for advice on which lock to buy. The €90 one or the kryptonite one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Tilikum wrote: »
    I'm not quibbling at all. I was asking for advice on which lock to buy. The €90 one or the kryptonite one.

My mistake; I misread your earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Just to provide an alternative choice to the kryptonite locks which are very good I must say.

I've this lock which to date has served me very well otherwise I wouldn't be suggesting it obviously! It's a sold secure gold lock.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/251885630785?_mwBanner=1

You may find it cheaper elsewhere online.

Also, use two locks. Preferably different types, one should be a U lock, with a cable if possible. Then have another lock. Chance your arm thief sees two locks and he is going to go for the other bike nearby with one lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

No matter what locks I had I am not sure I would leave a €1300 bike locked anywhere in a public area. At the very least it would be eye catching and may end up getting damaged as people interfere with it or its bound to get scratched and bumped in the general hustle and bustle of a bike stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I leave bikes worth over a grand (or would be worth that, if new) locked in public all the time. But they're all niche bikes (touring bike, cargo bike, folding bike), so I guess they probably don't look that expensive, as you're paying for the small production runs, rather than fancy materials or high-end components.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I leave bikes worth over a grand (or would be worth that, if new) locked in public all the time. But they're all niche bikes (touring bike, cargo bike, folding bike), so I guess they probably don't look that expensive, as you're paying for the small production runs, rather than fancy materials or high-end components.

I just put a sh1t load of locks on mine. I don't have that many bikes so not much of a choice. I have 3 different Kryptonite locks. I gave my brother my good Fagghedaboutit lock, so at the minute I use a Series 4 long U lock (back wheel and frame), an evolution mini (frame), a cable (through the wheel and the mini lock)and a Kryptonite Keeper (front wheel and frame). I also had a smaller oxford chain for the saddle but cannot find it since moving house. If I add up the cost of PT at the minute, I would have a great lock bought almost every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini-lock is good too. Its shackle is a lot smaller than the NY lock
    It is also thicker, 18mm vs 16mm.

There is a larger NY lock with 18mm, you do not hear about it much.

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-994589-York-Lock-M-18WL/dp/B000AOA3W6/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1486478059&sr=1-10&keywords=kryptonite+new+york

onguard make decent locks for the money.

I use a better lock on just my front wheel than I see on most decent bikes. I use several locks & chains at times, I can picture theives just laughing and moving on

not as bad as this though
    how-to-properly-lock-your-bike.jpg

Advertisement