Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you organise your clothes for a commute?

Options
  • 06-02-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Just looking for general advice here - do most people leave a change of clothes in work and change when you get in? Do you bring in a few changes of clothes for the week?

Trying to avoid having to do a lot of packing/preparing each day and also not have to wear a heavy bag while cycling.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Cianos wrote: »
    Just looking for general advice here - do most people leave a change of clothes in work and change when you get in? Do you bring in a few changes of clothes for the week?

Trying to avoid having to do a lot of packing/preparing each day and also not have to wear a heavy bag while cycling.

Thanks for any help!

Do you have a shower or locker in work ? If so, organising becomes a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Cianos wrote: »

Thanks for any help!

I have a few pairs of shoes and two pairs of jeans in work, along with towel and shower stuff. I wear cycling gear in and change when I get in. I bring in fresh tshirt/top and underwear every day and I have a spare set of gear in case I get soaked. I also leave a jumper and a regular coat in work to save carrying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Leaving things in work here isn't an issue at all. In fact I'd be going to the gym on my way to work, and a permanent locker is an option there (and a shower obviously).

However the problem with that is that the work clothes are always going out, and never coming in. So I was thinking of just bringing a tracksuit with me for the journey from gym to work, and then a set or sets of clothes in work. It means a LOT of rounds of changing (in the morning before leaving, before leaving the gym, when I get to work, before I leave work for the cycle home, then home again out of cycle gear)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

If sweating isn't a problem, its easier to commute in your work clothes. Just bring a rain jacket and trousers, along with mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I leave shoes and a wash bag in work. If I'm around the office over the weekend I'll drop trousers and a towel in but if not I'll carry them in my backpack on Monday along with the clean shirt, tee-shirt, socks and jocks that I bring every day. Also carry an iPad and my lunch ... don't really notice the weigh tbh! Worth spending money on a quality backpack in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I have a somewhat complex routine going in my new job enabled by the fact that the direct commute is tiny.

Monday - walk to work in suit bringing shirts socks and jocks for the week. Run home.
    Tuesday - do a pre-work spin in Lycra, shower at work get into suit, cycle home in Lycra
    Wednesay - as tuesday.
    Thursday - Run to work, walk home in suit in the evening.
    Friday - cycle in casual clothes direct to work or portage/pre-place casual clothes and go for a third early morning spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

C3PO wrote: »
    .. If I'm around the office over the weekend I'll drop trousers ....
    I had to do a retake after reading that first time!

I have a somewhat complex routine going in my new job enabled by the fact that the direct commute is tiny.

Monday - walk to work in suit bringing shirts socks and jocks for the week. Run home.
    Tuesday - do a pre-work spin in Lycra, shower at work get into suit, cycle home in Lycra
    Wednesay - as tuesday.
    Thursday - Run to work, walk home in suit in the evening.
    Friday - cycle in casual clothes direct to work or portage/pre-place casual clothes and go for a third early morning spin.

That's some next level ninja bad-ass organisational skillz you got going on.

Sure you're not a....... tri-athlete? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I leave wash gear, trousers,shoes etc in a locker at work - we have good showers.
    I carry fresh socks, shirt etc in a small rucksack each day, into which I also throw wallet, keys, phone.... I fold a shirt around an A4 pad to keep it from getting creased.

The rucksack is not a major problem but you have to watch for junk accumulating in it or else it gets too heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

When I cycled in, I drove one day a week and left clothes for the week.

I have got a IAMRUNBOX box thing. I have used it fairly often in a back pack running as well as on the bike, and shirts have come out ok with Shirt, Trousers, Jocks and socks, and a microfibre towel when needed. It just becomes habit to repack it to be honest, although I'm tending to use it to go to the gym rather than cycle these days. I got it on SportsPursuit - seems to come up regularly enough. Claims to be water resistant rather than water proof, but both my rucksack and pannier bags have waterproof covers.

For toiletries, again I used to leave it in work. Also, decanting into travel bottles can help reduce bulk if you do have to carry them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have a locker and showers in work. Only have to bring in freshly washed uniform and underwear the first day, that lasts me the 4 days or nights of my shift. I couldn't cycle in anything other than lycra as I sweat far too much, and I have to go 21 Km each way

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Get a pannier rack and some panniers. By far the best method. I got the ortlieb panniers and you can take them on and off the rack so easily

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    That's some next level ninja bad-ass organisational skillz you got going on.

Sure you're not a....... tri-athlete? :pac:

You take that back!

Running and cycling are always carefully separated by at least 12hrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I leave wash gear, trousers,shoes etc in a locker at work - we have good showers.
    I carry fresh socks, shirt etc in a small rucksack each day, into which I also throw wallet, keys, phone.... I fold a shirt around an A4 pad to keep it from getting creased.

The rucksack is not a major problem but you have to watch for junk accumulating in it or else it gets too heavy!

Just curious...why do don't you leave your shirts/socks in work? why carry them each day? (You have a locker)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Just curious...why do don't you leave your shirts/socks in work? why carry them each day? (You have a locker)

Never gave it much thought to be honest - I don't mind the rucksack and I need something to carry phone, wallet, lunch etc anyway.

You take that back!

Running and cycling are always carefully separated by at least 12hrs!

Hmm. Well, as long as you're not wearing your sisters camoige socks and fiddling with your man bra whilst practicing the front crawl at your desk, then I guess that's OK.

But...

im_watching_you_-_copia.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I don't have a locker at work so most things have to come with me.

I keep work shoes at work in a drawer in my desk. But nightly I pack an outfit of work clothes / underwear etc into my pannier. I throw in a spare pair of socks too.

I keep my makeup/deo at work too. I also get changed in a bathroom at work- no changing facilities .

I have learned to keep a few spare pieces of clothing in my desk too just in case I forget to pack something.

Then I just throw my lunch into the pannier in the morning - in a lunch bag.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Hmm. Well, as long as you're not wearing your sisters camoige socks and fiddling with your man bra whilst practicing the front crawl at your desk, then I guess that's OK.

But...

im_watching_you_-_copia.jpg

But those things are OK as long as they're not for Triathlon right?

But those things are OK as long as they're not for Triathlon right?

Yep, cornerstones of a productive day tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Never gave it much thought to be honest - I don't mind the rucksack and I need something to carry phone, wallet, lunch etc anyway.

I leave everything in work. I carry my phone, wallet and keys.
    I drive in one day per week... bring in clothes and bring laundry home.
    That leaves up to 4 days per week to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Parchment wrote: »
    I don't have a locker at work so most things have to come with me....
    I have several heavy overcoats and jackets at work - often wonder how those who don't have a locker manage to transport these bulky items.

If I'm driving in, I often take in advance supplies but invariably I forget about them when I arrive in work and discover them in the car after I drive home again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

Top tip: only bring last weeks clothes home after bringing the replacements (e.g., on Monday), too often taken clothes home on a Friday and forgotten on the Monday, and worked all day in sweaty & grungy bike gear all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I have several heavy overcoats and jackets at work - often wonder how those who don't have a locker manage to transport these bulky items.

If I'm driving in, I often take in advance supplies but invariably I forget about them when I arrive in work and discover them in the car after I drive home again. :rolleyes:

I generally don't go anywhere at work - no lunching out etc so I don't bring anything too fancy. I keep a "smart" jacket at work to cover me for meetings etc.

I have a rack and pannier - I can easily bring anything I need really. I keep a spare old backpack at work too incase I need to take anything bigger home. A set of bungee cords on my rack can take most loads too.

I take my "dirty" clothes home each evening so there is no build up in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Carry fresh clothes every day - though work clothes are jeans and tshirt, so not too heavy, often have a 15" laptop, iPad and a few phones in the bag too :)

I have access to a locker, but never thought about using it for clothes. Do people carry in a weeks worth on Monday and carry them home on a Friday? I suppose I could leave a pair of jeans in work for a week and carry t-shirt, socks and jocks each day which would be a lot lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't have a locker, just large coat racks/ rails - i just put the shirts in suit hanger and hung it up, jocks and socks in gym sack inside the suit hanger. Only thing I brought in daily was a towel, as no where to dry it!

Previous place I used to bring my shirts in folded and leave them in or on my desk pedestal. Now I'd use the aformentioned Iamrunbox, as that'd take a week worth of shirts I reckon.

Advertisement