Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it a smart move? help!

Options
  • 06-02-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I stand between a decision.
    I am currently employed by a company. People would say i am lucky to have this job and i would agree on it too. Its a permanent role on 27k a year and nice benefits.

However somehow i have felt i need to look around to see whats out there.
    Now i have been offered a job that has a salary on 41k and same benefits as the other job. The only issue is that this role is on a contract. That means that every 6 month they have to renew the contract if they think i did a good job.

Now this is almost a dubble salary from what i get now. I would earn almost the same in 6 month than i would earn a whole year on the job i have now.

The 41K company mentioned that theres no room for permanent contract in this role as they said " no one wants to work in this role longer than 1.5 years". But i actually love this role. I do the same kind of job today. They said its possible to become permanent in the company if i wish to progress in to a different role after some time and if they are happy with my work.

So in short the role is the same in both companies just different products.
    There's a huge difference on the pay.
    Is it a smart move to take a chance on the 41K role and hope i can make a good job to impress them? or should i stay here where its lower salary but permanent contract? Whats the smartest move?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

Have you read reviews of this company on Glassdoor, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pancakesand

jfrmbray wrote: »
    Have you read reviews of this company on Glassdoor, etc.?

I have indeed. Both of the companies are well respected and good reviews on both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Hi,
    I stand between a decision.
    I am currently employed by a company. People would say i am lucky to have this job and i would agree on it too. Its a permanent role on 27k a year and nice benefits.

However somehow i have felt i need to look around to see whats out there.
    Now i have been offered a job that has a salary on 41k and same benefits as the other job. The only issue is that this role is on a contract. That means that every 6 month they have to renew the contract if they think i did a good job.

Now this is almost a dubble salary from what i get now. I would earn almost the same in 6 month than i would earn a whole year on the job i have now.

The 41K company mentioned that theres no room for permanent contract in this role as they said " no one wants to work in this role longer than 1.5 years". But i actually love this role. I do the same kind of job today. They said its possible to become permanent in the company if i wish to progress in to a different role after some time and if they are happy with my work.

So in short the role is the same in both companies just different products.
    There's a huge difference on the pay.
    Is it a smart move to take a chance on the 41K role and hope i can make a good job to impress them? or should i stay here where its lower salary but permanent contract? Whats the smartest move?

Ladder up, even though it's temp it's better to ladder up earlier in the career

.......... Its a permanent role on 27k a year and nice benefits.

........... a salary on 41k and same benefits as the other job. The only issue is that this role is on a contract. That means that every 6 month they have to renew the contract if they think i did a good job.

I'm all in favour of moving for more money and permanent roles aren't the be all and end all many make them out to be but use a tax calculator to work out what your extra take home will be from the €14k/annum increase.

I reckon you might be dissapointed, you'll be paying 50% ish tax on over half of that "dubble" you speak of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

A lot of positions now would be offered on a 6 month contract. If you're good at what you do you will be made permanent even if it is in a different role.

You have to take risks sometimes to move up.

Of course it all depends on how precarious your financial situation is. Could you afford to be unemployed after the 6 months even if it's only for a month or so? If you can then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

when they say contract do they mean self employed contractor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Your life situation may come into it, are you planning on applying for a mortgage soon? This is when being a contractor may be an issue. If not, go for the big bucks!

Advertisement