Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Heaters

Options
  • 06-02-2017 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Do old immersion heaters use more energy than new ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi patricio,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Old appliances may be less energy efficient than newer appliances.

The usage of an appliance, or a heater, is determined by the number of units used by the appliance. The basic unit of electricity is the Kilowatt hour (kWh). In simple terms, 1 kWh is the amount of energy used by a 1kW (1000 watt) electric heater for one hour. Another example is ten 100-watt light bulbs used for one hour would equal one unit.

The number of units used should then be multiplied by your unit price (which can be found on the reverse side of an Electric Ireland bill), this will provide you with the cost per hour of the appliance.

Further information on this can be found here.

Customers can also view the average cost of running various appliances through the Electric Ireland My Energy Pal web app, available here.

Should you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

• Registered Users Posts: 9 patricio

Hi patricio,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Old appliances may be less energy efficient than newer appliances.

The usage of an appliance, or a heater, is determined by the number of units used by the appliance. The basic unit of electricity is the Kilowatt hour (kWh). In simple terms, 1 kWh is the amount of energy used by a 1kW (1000 watt) electric heater for one hour. Another example is ten 100-watt light bulbs used for one hour would equal one unit.

The number of units used should then be multiplied by your unit price (which can be found on the reverse side of an Electric Ireland bill), this will provide you with the cost per hour of the appliance.

Further information on this can be found here.

Customers can also view the average cost of running various appliances through the Electric Ireland My Energy Pal web app, available here.

Should you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige
    "Old appliances may be less energy efficient than newer appliance"

Please elaborate.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi patricio,

Thanks for your message.

The energy efficiency of appliances improves over time, due to developments in the technology associated with the various appliances.

We would be unable to discuss the efficiency of a specific appliance. However, when purchasing appliances look for the energy rating label, try to go for those with an 'A' rating as these are the most efficient.

For further tips on how to make your home more energy efficient, we would recommend visiting the Electric Ireland website here.

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

patricio wrote: »
    Do old immersion heaters use more energy than new ones.
    New immersion heaters are a bit better insulated hence more energy efficient. I'm not sure how old you mean but I saw really old ones with insulation being literally torn into pieces..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

Hi All, Just visiting my parents house over the weekend and noticed the hot water is way too hot. My parents heat water using an immersion heater so I automatically thought I could turn down thermostat. On opening the top of the immersion I can't see an obvious thermostat, it's a Stanford dual star K71 .... best part of 20 years old fitted to top of standard copper cylinder. Is it likely this immersion predates ones which have thermostat fitted or am I missing something.
    Thanks for your advice
    Sean

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 52 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Anna

Hi Sean, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

Here in the Social Media department we look mostly after billing or Sales queries. 

We are unable to advise in relation to this. We recommend consulting with an electrician or the manufacturer. 

Please let us know if there is anything we can assist you with.

Thanks, 
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi All, Just visiting my parents house over the weekend and noticed the hot water is way too hot. My parents heat water using an immersion heater so I automatically thought I could turn down thermostat. On opening the top of the immersion I can't see an obvious thermostat, it's a Stanford dual star K71 .... best part of 20 years old fitted to top of standard copper cylinder. Is it likely this immersion predates ones which have thermostat fitted or am I missing something.
    Thanks for your advice
    Sean
    Ask in the heating & plumbing forum lots of plumbers offering good advice

Advertisement