Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW emissions software update - disaster

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why no buy back here ?
    What laws did they break here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

kbannon wrote: »
    What laws did they break here?

False advertising
    Fraud
    Putting public health at risk

dubrov wrote: »
    False advertising
    Fraud
    Putting public health at risk
    Erm, laws not morals!
    Try again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

So are you suggesting there are no laws that protect consumers from sellers falsifying specifications?

dubrov wrote: »
    So are you suggesting there are no laws that protect consumers from sellers falsifying specifications?
    Im not suggesting anything. I'm asking what laws have been broken.
    In America they broke laws and were forced to take action to rectify the resulting problems. What laws have they broken here that would warrant any remedial action apart from what crap theyre doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

VW are German. Germany is the most powerful member of the EU. There won't be any buy backs. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Had JCD been running a Korean car no update would have been needed ( it seems Koreans dont lie about emissions) and probably all the other work would have been covered by warranty.

Is the what Made in Germany has come to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Had JCD been running a Korean car no update would have been needed ( it seems Koreans dont lie about emissions) and probably all the other work would have been covered by warranty.

Is the what Made in Germany has come to ?

I hope not i went out and bought a bmw to replace my crappy passat :)

I get where toyotafanboi is coming from, but I dont think they have taken into account at all the knock on effects of this update on the cars.
    No-one is claiming its bricking perfect new shiny engines. It is putting alot of pressure on (mostly) older parts and for lots of people its turning out to be enough pressure to cause failure in their vehicles.

I get the point that you made about it being easy for one mechanic to blame another, but this guy showed me 6 turbos taken apart in his shop that he said where from the same kind of issues i had and they were only from past 2 weeks, he said he is geting at least 8 or 9 a month from volkswagon thats alot (at least to me it seems).

In my case the update was applied without my permisson, so thats a big plus in my dispute with them apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jcd5971 wrote: »
    (...) he said he is geting at least 8 or 9 a month from volkswagon thats alot (at least to me it seems).

How many VW drive on our roads without owners not having a clue how to treat the turbocharger? How many trusted turbo mechanics there are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

grogi wrote:
    How many VW drive on our roads without owners not having a clue how to treat the turbocharger? How many trusted turbo mechanics there are?

I'd have no clue as to the answer to either of those questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Does anyone know if during the emissions update if VW changed the gear change points on the dsg box? Thinking the box it way too eager to change up to the higher gears leaving the engine at a really low rpm, almost laboring.

1jcdub wrote: »
    Does anyone know if during the emissions update if VW changed the gear change points on the dsg box? Thinking the box it way too eager to change up to the higher gears leaving the engine at a really low rpm, almost laboring.

The software might be updated routinely if new version made available by the manufacturer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

We had this update applied on our ‘13 Audi A4 last month. I was hesitant tbh with so much scaremongering talk about it on here and elsewhere but I genuinely can’t tell any difference in the car since. It drives exactly the same as it did before and no issues - touch wood!

Main reason I opted to let them do it was, I reasoned in my own head that Audi would probably be more accommodating with any future engine / exhaust related issues (and hopefully we never have any) if I had let them apply their update...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sport mode solves the issue :pac:

JoeA3 wrote: »
    We had this update applied on our ‘13 Audi A4 last month. I was hesitant tbh with so much scaremongering talk about it on here and elsewhere but I genuinely can’t tell any difference in the car since. It drives exactly the same as it did before and no issues - touch wood!

And that's the reality for majority of the drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

BBC exposes the truth about how the British government's car and fuel tax strategies encouraged switch to diesels:

Why officials in Labour government pushed 'dash for diesel'

Of course, it wasn't just them.
    The Greens here pushed for a CO2-based taxation system too, ignoring the fact that diesel's are harmful to the environment in other ways.

And the trend to more diesels was Europe-wide, so I guess there was a much larger collusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

grogi wrote: »

how do you treat a turbocharger?

lawred2 wrote: »
    how do you treat a turbocharger?

You're well able to google around the dos and don'ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You're well able to google around the dos and don'ts.

It was the terminology I didn't get ..

But from your response I take it he meant 'how best to drive a car with a turbocharged engine?'

lawred2 wrote: »
    It was the terminology I didn't get ..

But from your response I take it he meant 'how best to drive a car with a turbocharged engine?'

Oh, sorry for being obnoxious.

The most important thing is not to switch the engine immediately when you reach your destination. Let the turbocharger spin down and oil cool it down. In regular driving 15 seconds is enough, but after motorway driving I would let it idle for a minute at least. Some of the newer engines come with water cooling of the charger. It helps, but does not mitigate the issue completely.

When oil circulation is switched off, a hot turbocharger will boil oil and deposits will forms in the bearings, dramatically shortening the lifespan of the charger. Overzealous Stop/Start systems do contribute as well. It doesn't happen immediately - but that's one of the reasons some cars do 200kkm and some 40kkm to the first failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Some cars won't even stop engine for a while. I remember my colleague's car (Subaru IIRC), he turned the key, slammed the door and locked it - engine still ran for another minute or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

joujoujou wrote: »
    Some cars won't even stop engine for a while. I remember my colleague's car (Subaru IIRC), he turned the key, slammed the door and locked it - engine still ran for another minute or so.

Aftermarket turbo timer I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Maybe. I have no idea, just that's what I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They should really have an electric pre/post oil pump on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Oh, sorry for being obnoxious.

The most important thing is not to switch the engine immediately when you reach your destination. Let the turbocharger spin down and oil cool it down. In regular driving 15 seconds is enough, but after motorway driving I would let it idle for a minute at least. Some of the newer engines come with water cooling of the charger. It helps, but does not mitigate the issue completely.

When oil circulation is switched off, a hot turbocharger will boil oil and deposits will forms in the bearings, dramatically shortening the lifespan of the charger. Overzealous Stop/Start systems do contribute as well. It doesn't happen immediately - but that's one of the reasons some cars do 200kkm and some 40kkm to the first failure.

While there is some truth in this for high strung petrol turbocharged engines the reality is for a diesel turbo it makes no difference. Diesel egts are quite a bit lower than a petrol and the turbos don't run nearly as hot. I have dismantled dozens of petrol and diesel turbos and to be honest coking of oil is an almost non existant issue on most cars. I haven't had one turbo fail yet as a result of oil coking in the CHRA.
    At motorway speeds you wouldn't even have 400 degree egt's, no need to let the car idle at all afterwards, not that it will actually hurt anything of course and the turbo will have spun down before you even touch the handbrake, its almost instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Was just out in the local VW dealers and was asking the service manager who I happen to know about the recall and he told me that VW are covering EGR, Injectors, high pressure pump, Exhaust gas temp sensors and a few other items 100% post the update being applied for 2 years.

I know EGRs tend to give hassle anyway on the 1.6tdi’s so seems like a no brainer if I’m getting 2 years warranty on them, but I haven’t heard anyone else talk about this coverage.. Anyone here have an EGR failure post update and got full coverage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Yes, several of them. We actually have a 2014 Passat going in to VW this week to hopefully have it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Was just out in the local VW dealers and was asking the service manager who I happen to know about the recall and he told me that VW are covering EGR, Injectors, high pressure pump, Exhaust gas temp sensors and a few other items 100% post the update being applied for 2 years.

I know EGRs tend to give hassle anyway on the 1.6tdi’s so seems like a no brainer if I’m getting 2 years warranty on them, but I haven’t heard anyone else talk about this coverage.. Anyone here have an EGR failure post update and got full coverage??
    Yes, I had an EGR fail first, and subsequently exhaust temp sensors fail post update and they were replaced no questions asked. It was annoying, but TBH, VW Dealer gave no hassle, no issue and just replaced the parts and gave a loaner car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yes, I had an EGR fail first, and subsequently exhaust temp sensors fail post update and they were replaced no questions asked. It was annoying, but TBH, VW Dealer gave no hassle, no issue and just replaced the parts and gave a loaner car.

That’s good to know, especially when the EGR is prone to go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Haven't been following this thread,only discovered it now.i,ve a 2015 2.0l alhambra due into seat tomorrow for the emissions update.had planned on not having this done due to what i heard and read elsewhere.but been told by dealer not doing it isn't a option as I've a engine light and message showing on dash.it's related to a adblue issue on car and needs removing.what do you do???????

• Advertisement

ruwithme wrote: »
    Haven't been following this thread,only discovered it now.i,ve a 2015 2.0l alhambra due into seat tomorrow for the emissions update.had planned on not having this done due to what i heard and read elsewhere.but been told by dealer not doing it isn't a option as I've a engine light and message showing on dash.it's related to a adblue issue on car and needs removing.what do you do???????

If it has adblue, it does not have the recall mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Some adblue models are effected.

It appears to be on their campaign website, referred to somewhat ironically as the "trust building measure".

https://campaigncheck.ie/customer-faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I hope your right.i got a emissions recall letter on it some weeks back.was ignoring it till adblue light wouldn't go out after top up.

A US-based Volkswagen executive who oversaw emissions issues was sentenced to seven years in prison and fined $400,000 (€339,000) by a judge on Wednesday for his role in a diesel emissions scandal that has cost the German automaker as much as $30 billion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/volkswagen-executive-sentenced-to-seven-years-for-us-emissions-fraud-1.3318757

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fall guy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ford4610

Hi All,

Has anyone got the Vw software emissions update done? If so how is your car preforming after it. As I got done and EGR warning light came on straight after it was done. The dealer replaced as "a gesture of good will" ... However there are warning lights constantly appearing on the dash(an Amber coil symbol light and engine management light) , car is going into limp mode, speedometer is sticking at 2k revs, when I get diesel the next day it would run bad, possible a fuel pressure issue... Last week my car gave up, will not start. I'm informed it is a fuel issue...I'd think it is because of the update? The dealers will not admit fault as my car was running perfect before the update and now I cannot drive it?

The dealer is looking for €500 to fix the latest issue but I am not paying it as it was volkswagens fault.

Any help or advise as to what to do greatly accepted

Any car that's had the emission fix will be covered by an additional 2yrs warranty on all emission fuel related parts egr, dpf, injectors etc from the date of the emission fix.

Any car that's had the emission fix will be covered by an additional 2yrs warranty on all emission fuel related parts egr, dpf, injectors etc from the date of the emission fix.

Where does it state this?

Is there any documents available on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its my understanding that the injection event is changed with the "fix" the injectors now use multiple injections up to TDC whereas before they used one, this means a lot more work than before and consequently a shorter lifespan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

ford4610 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone got the Vw software emissions update done? If so how is your car preforming after it. As I got done and EGR warning light came on straight after it was done. The dealer replaced as "a gesture of good will" ... However there are warning lights constantly appearing on the dash(an Amber coil symbol light and engine management light) , car is going into limp mode, speedometer is sticking at 2k revs, when I get diesel the next day it would run bad, possible a fuel pressure issue... Last week my car gave up, will not start. I'm informed it is a fuel issue...I'd think it is because of the update? The dealers will not admit fault as my car was running perfect before the update and now I cannot drive it?

The dealer is looking for €500 to fix the latest issue but I am not paying it as it was volkswagens fault.

Any help or advise as to what to do greatly accepted
    Dont pay for anything, same happened with my wifes car after the recal, I left her off to go threw it herself but when they gave the car back with engine light on they tried to pull some bs about the last owner must have done an egr valve bypass and it was going to cost €1000 to fix it,
    So I went to the dealers and asked to see the mechanics manager, l made ir clear that I knew all about the emissions scandal, he got righ thick over it. Told him we weren't paying anything, he told us to ring head office in dublin, witch we did, and after some back and forth with them for a couple of days, they said the dealer will pay for it if we just pay for 10% of the cost,, herself dug her heels in and refused to pay even this, so had some more back and forth and ended up paying nothing to get it fixed and she also demanded to have a loan of a car for a few days while they fixed it,
    Dont pay for anything,

gw80 wrote: »
    Dont pay for anything, same happened with my wifes car after the recal, I left her off to go threw it herself but when they gave the car back with engine light on they tried to pull some bs about the last owner must have done an egr valve bypass and it was going to cost €1000 to fix it,
    So I went to the dealers and asked to see the mechanics manager, l made ir clear that I knew all about the emissions scandal, he got righ thick over it. Told him we weren't paying anything, he told us to ring head office in dublin, witch we did, and after some back and forth with them for a couple of days, they said the dealer will pay for it if we just pay for 10% of the cost,, herself dug her heels in and refused to pay even this, so had some more back and forth and ended up paying nothing to get it fixed and she also demanded to have a loan of a car for a few days while they fixed it,
    Dont pay for anything,

Thanks for this. The dealer is saying is dirty fuel but I am getting diesel from the same garage with the last few years.

Is it better to deal with customer services in Dublin rather than the dealership directly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

ford4610 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. The dealer is saying is dirty fuel but I am getting diesel from the same garage with the last few years.

Is it better to deal with customer services in Dublin rather than the dealership directly?
    Id say tell them your not happy about the situation, and you sent the car in to them with no problems and it came back with engine lights on and running rough, and make the suggestion of ringing head office and see what reaction you get, if you get nowhere with this then ring head office in Dublin, stand your ground,
    We only bought the car about 4 months before it got recalled and the car is an English import and they still had to fix it,
    All this bs about bypassed egr,s and bad fuel is just vw trying to minimise costs of fixing their **** up, id image they have gotten plenty of people to pay these charges, I presume vw cannot admit to the emissions cheat so thats why they are coming up with these bs "issues"

gw80 wrote: »
    Dont pay for anything,

How did she win out in the end? Did she leave the car at garage until it was fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Advertisement

Volkswagen are saying my car cutting out is water in diesel, it is not related to the emissions issue...

Did you fill up between VW completing their "fix" and the problem arising?
    Strange that the symptoms are like many other post-"fix" issues.
    Personally I presume VW are still lying to their customers (and in the grand scheme of things are getting away with it).
    I think you need an independent mechanic and a good solicitor on your side.

Did you fill up between VW completing their "fix" and the problem arising?
    Strange that the symptoms are like many other post-"fix" issues.
    Personally I presume VW are still lying to their customers (and in the grand scheme of things are getting away with it).
    I think you need an independent mechanic and a good solicitor on your side.

No I didn't, first they said it was dirty diesel and now they are saying water in the diesel. I have gave out to them about problems with lights coming on and going into limp mode. They won't admit fault. The car is parked at volkswagen with a week, they are looking for €500. What to do next??

Solicitor time.
    Also complain to VW Ireland!

Solicitor time.
    Also complain to VW Ireland!

This was customer service in Dublin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement