Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW emissions software update - disaster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ford4610

kbannon wrote: »
    Solicitor time.
    Also complain to VW Ireland!

This was customer service in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

kbannon wrote: »
    Solicitor time.
    Also complain to VW Ireland!

Might be worth getting a second opinion before going all solicitor guns blazing.

In fairness it seems there are some bad reactions to the update but it seems now that every issue the car has post update is related to the update. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the car has a non emissions update based fault.

With VW now saying that they cover a variety of components after the update, surely if the dealer was able to fix it for free, they would? It's of no benefit to them to squeeze the owner for cash when they can just invoice VW.

I'm not saying the fault isn't related to the fix, but it's no harm to bare in mind that not every fault has to be related and that dealers now have the means to fix related faults with no quibble.

Edit: ask the dealer the direct question of what component has failed and post the response here. You need to know where they are looking to spend your €500. Its clear to see from the nature of components they are covering where you should stand.

I understand that could be the case, but the coil light was coming up since the update and then going into limp mode, the engine management light is coming on at times.

ford4610 wrote: »
    I understand that could be the case, but the coil light was coming up since the update and then going into limp mode, the engine management light is coming on at times.

Those lights can represent a multitude of faults though, some related, some not. Your best bet, ask them what they are intending to replace. The cause is relevant but its either one of two things I think everyone agrees, bad fuel or the update, you dont need to be told that again. Which component is broken?

If it's on the list of things they cover then you have a clear case for arguement (https://campaigncheck.ie/customer-faq/).

If it's not on that list you need mechanical advice as to whether or not it may be potentially related and you need to be confident with the person giving that advice as it will be the basis of whether you take it further with VW or foot the bill yourself.

Volkswagen have stated the following regarding the fuel issue "on the first inspection, we have found a possible problem with the fuel, we will have to clean the system and put in a new filter and clean the lines, to rule a possible fuel fault". Still no clear answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Are VW now doing the ‘fix’. totally free?

And if so are VW owners who were previously charged various amounts entitled to a refund?

No not as of yet, they have dropped the price but their story's are not matching, saying it is a fuel issue found the on quote and then in emails stating that it is possibly a fuel issue. First they said it is water in diesel and then the service manager is saying they cannot test the diesel in house it would have to be sent externally. This is all lies a load of bull...:mad:

Well it is unlikely they have fuel testing equipment in house, not many garages have that type of kit, or at least a kit that can tell you what you need to know. Any judgement on the fuel in house will be based on its colour/ smell and if there is any visual debris/ contaminant in it.

You're in a situation now where you have to put your money where your mouth is and pay for an independent fuel sample test IMO, if you firmly believe this issue is update related.

If the sample comes back clear, then you have a clear path to say; hey VW you need to fix this for me and refund me for the costs of the fuel sample, which is more than reasonable as the fuel in the car is perfect.

The sample comes back bad and you have to pay to fix the car and take a hit on the fuel sample, which again, is reasonable.

That's probably the fastest and cheapest way to bring this to a head now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Could be both contaminated AND a problem with the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Wonders,............by any chance do you have receipts for last few fills of fuel?

Thinks ...........€500 dont buy much solr. time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

VW have gone to the dogs. We got a letter to get a Passat 2008 tdi CR updated and I thought it a bad idea. I guess I was right.
    The other day I went in to return a stock part and the parts guy wasn't happy giving me my money back:rolleyes:
    Then again BMW,Mercedes etc and god knows who else also have gone to the dogs. Ive plenty of stories there too. Probably not much profit in cars these days to at least act like gentlemen even if they really aren't.
    Stay out of the main dealers for service if your car needs an update and go to a good indi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

lomb wrote: »
    VW have gone to the dogs. We got a letter to get a Passat 2008 tdi CR updated and I thought it a bad idea. I guess I was right.
    The other day I went in to return a stock part and the parts guy wasn't happy giving me my money back:rolleyes:
    Then again BMW,Mercedes etc and god knows who else also have gone to the dogs. Ive plenty of stories there too. Probably not much profit in cars these days to at least act like gentlemen even if they really aren't.

To be fair though you have no right to return a part for a refund, he could have told you to take a hike.

Vw are now charging me 120 even though I didn't give my approval for them to carry out a diagnostic. But they didn't carry out a diagnostic as they stated in the quote they found a fault with fuel system but they can't say what the fault is. The service manger said it might be possibly a fuel system problem there is no guarantee. So their stories are not matching... If I want to take the car away they are not letting car out of the garage until I pay the 120 for supposedly checking the problem..

Why did you bring it to them in the first place if you didn't want the problem diagnosed?

Why did you bring it to them in the first place if you didn't want the problem diagnosed?

The car broke down near the garage I had no other choice. I thought it had to do with the update..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

rex-x wrote: »
    To be fair though you have no right to return a part for a refund, he could have told you to take a hike.

Why not? It says on invoice non stock items aren't refundable. This was a stock item.
    I'm not being funny but the part was 30e. If I had the cash and the will and I might in a few years I was considering buying a new car there. Business is about making people happy and taking their money rather than some kind of power trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Vw are now charging me 120 even though I didn't give my approval for them to carry out a diagnostic

What exactly did you want them to do? Kiss it better?

In all fairness if you bring a car to a garage as a non runner the usual procedure is that they would have a look and tell you what they think is wrong with it.

I suspect that what you wanted was for them to have a look at it, tell you exactly what is wrong but not charge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

lomb wrote: »
    Why not? It says on invoice non stock items aren't refundable. This was a stock item.
    I'm not being funny but the part was 30e. If I had the cash and the will and I might in a few years I was considering buying a new car there. Business is about making people happy and taking their money rather than some kind of power trip.

Because legally nobody has a right to a refund for a change of mind barring some distance selling regulations. Its good customer service to provide it but its just like buying something in Argos or Tesco etc, they can legally and correctly refuse to take it back for a refund or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭nhg

Hi All,

Has anyone got the Vw software emissions update done? If so how is your car preforming after it. As I got done and EGR warning light came on straight after it was done. The dealer replaced as "a gesture of good will" ... However there are warning lights constantly appearing on the dash(an Amber coil symbol light and engine management light) , car is going into limp mode, speedometer is sticking at 2k revs, when I get diesel the next day it would run bad, possible a fuel pressure issue... Last week my car gave up, will not start. I'm informed it is a fuel issue...I'd think it is because of the update? The dealers will not admit fault as my car was running perfect before the update and now I cannot drive it?

The dealer is looking for €500 to fix the latest issue but I am not paying it as it was volkswagens fault.

Any help or advise as to what to do greatly accepted

I eventually had the update done in July 17 after reading that be were covering any issues arising following the update, after collecting the car my first reaction was that car felt 'more responsive' to drive (09 2.0 D Comfort Sport), thankfully no lights have come on since.... But I did get a full fill of fuel in a Topaz station & within driving a km or two the car seemed to lose power and continued to do so every few mins for about 25 km, so much so I was very nervous driving it until I got the next fill back in the usual fuel station, as I said no lights have come on & its driving fine since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

Any local mechanic doesnt charge you for telling you what's wrong with the car or plugging in a diagnostics which takes 5 mins.. VW tried this on me before after having problems after my first ever service in bringing my car to a main dealer! I laughed at him and took my car to a local fella and saved a fortune.

Totally unrelated to the undate which I haven't or won't get done..

benny79 wrote: »
    Any local mechanic doesnt charge you for telling you what's wrong with the car or plugging in a diagnostics which takes 5 mins..

This is where a lot of the confusion lies at times.

To be fair, it takes 5 minutes for the mechanic to pick up the keys off the hook, walk to the car, get in and start it and drive it to his workspace before he even lifts the bonnet. Nothing is done on a car in "5 minutes".

The actual task of plugging in a computer does only take 30 seconds to one minute I'll give you that.

After you plug it in, there can be lots of codes to sift through and test procedures to follow which can easily tale 20-30 minutes and even at that, the findings of the diagnostic tool are just leads. A good diagnostic session will include much more than just reading a regurgitating codes, it will include physical inspection and testing also.

Any "diagnostic" done in "5 minutes" isn't done right. Sure you can plug in a scan tool, get a fault code for a sensor and replace it and cure the fault and that can and does happen but plenty of times the sensor is just the symptom, not the cure and that's where a more comprehensive diagnostic inspection helps get it right the first time.

Unfortunately much like everything motoring related, people just won't pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

120 for a 20 minute diagnostic is excessive in my opinion => 360 euro per hour

I agree the mechanics time has a cost but should be recovered as part of any repair cost.

What are those figures based on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

Vw are now charging me 120 even though I didn't give my approval for them to carry out a diagnostic. But they didn't carry out a diagnostic as they stated in the quote they found a fault with fuel system but they can't say what the fault is. The service manger said it might be possibly a fuel system problem there is no guarantee. So their stories are not matching... If I want to take the car away they are not letting car out of the garage until I pay the 120 for supposedly checking the problem..

See above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

dubrov wrote: »
    120 for a 20 minute diagnostic is excessive in my opinion => 360 euro per hour

I agree the mechanics time has a cost but should be recovered as part of any repair cost.

What if there is no repair? Remember that the poster in this case wants to take his car out of the garage without any repair being carried out by them. Surely they shouldn't be expected to work for free?

What we usually do in the case of a problem that can be diagnosed by a simple 20 minute test/scan/inspection is we charge for that diagnostic time but deduct the cost from the cost of the repair itself. That way we get paid for the diagnostic time even if the customer decides to take the car elsewhere for the actual fix but if the customer gets us to carry out the repair then they effectively get the diagnostic for free. I think that is fair for both parties.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

What if there is no repair? Remember that the poster in this case wants to take his car out of the garage without any repair being carried out by them. Surely they shouldn't be expected to work for free?

What we usually do in the case of a problem that can be diagnosed by a simple 20 minute test/scan/inspection is we charge for that diagnostic time but deduct the cost from the cost of the repair itself. That way we get paid for the diagnostic time even if the customer decides to take the car elsewhere for the actual fix but if the customer gets us to carry out the repair then they effectively get the diagnostic for free. I think that is fair for both parties.
    In the case where the diagnosed fault is attributed to previous work done by the garage, would the fix and the diagnosis be free of charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fionaanna

I'd really appreciate some advice. My car, a 1.6 diesel golf went in for the emissions fix just under 8 weeks ago. Since then it just hasn't been the same. It sounded different especially in 1 and 2nd gear, the fan was staying on after I had turned the engine (it's never done that before) there was a slight burning smell. The amber coil light came on and said engine fault. I brought it to my mechanic he said it was something to do with gases not getting into the engine, presume this is the EGR value. It then broke down on Sunday, had a complete loss of power and had to get a tow truck out, he said he thought it was the dpf filter but didn't have his diagnostics machine to be sure. I have now had it towed to the garage that carried out the emissions fix and they are telling me it's the alternator and that i need a new battery. They are trying to charge me €1200. I mentioned that I have seen online that similar things have happened over people's cars and that it's related to the emissions fix. What are your opinions? Does it sound like it's related to the emissions fix? Apologies for the long post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

fionaanna wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate some advice. My car, a 1.6 diesel golf went in for the emissions fix just under 8 weeks ago. Since then it just hasn't been the same. It sounded different especially in 1 and 2nd gear, the fan was staying on after I had turned the engine (it's never done that before) there was a slight burning smell. The amber coil light came on and said engine fault. I brought it to my mechanic he said it was something to do with gases not getting into the engine, presume this is the EGR value. It then broke down on Sunday, had a complete loss of power and had to get a tow truck out, he said he thought it was the dpf filter but didn't have his diagnostics machine to be sure. I have now had it towed to the garage that carried out the emissions fix and they are telling me it's the alternator and that i need a new battery. They are trying to charge me €1200. I mentioned that I have seen online that similar things have happened over people's cars and that it's related to the emissions fix. What are your opinions? Does it sound like it's related to the emissions fix? Apologies for the long post!

Is quite common for egr's to fail on them shortly after the update. More so the 1.6. They can stick open and the engine chokes on its exhaust and dies.

The fan staying on is most likey the car is doing a regen of the dpf and needs to cool down. Very high temp during regen can give a burning smell.

Although unusual for the alternator to go in them. If your brake down was an issue to do with the update the dealer would/should sort it straight away as it would be covered under warranty anyway.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

If it's the alternator it's not related so it's an unfortunate coincidence. If it needs an EGR or DPF it's likely they'll cover it.

Your symptom of a change in engine noise and the fan running on may be symptomatic of a DPF, but it could just be carrying out a regeneration which is perfectly normal and is likely to be more frequent after the update.

That said, I doubt they are trying to sell you an alternator you don't need. They aren't going to charge €1200 to hand you back a broken car. I'd confirm the diagnosis with the garage and post back here what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fionaanna

This is the reply i received from them

Further to today’s conversation in relation to the Golf recovered in, we have diagnosed that the alternator has failed and recommend replacing it along with the alternator belt and tensioner and also a battery (as this has failed a battery test). We will need these replaced so we can test drive the car to explore any further issues in relation to the lack of power/poor engine performance you have mentioned to me.
    I want it to be made clear to you that the failure of the alternator is in no way related to the emissions campaign performed here last November 2017
    However, I cannot rule out the possibility there are further faults in the engine without first driving it.

I've been speaking to the mechanic that towed my car on Sunday and mentioned all this to him and he doesn't agree with them and that the alternator was working when he had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

fionaanna wrote: »
    This is the reply i received from them

Further to today’s conversation in relation to the Golf recovered in, we have diagnosed that the alternator has failed and recommend replacing it along with the alternator belt and tensioner and also a battery (as this has failed a battery test). We will need these replaced so we can test drive the car to explore any further issues in relation to the lack of power/poor engine performance you have mentioned to me.
    I want it to be made clear to you that the failure of the alternator is in no way related to the emissions campaign performed here last November 2017
    However, I cannot rule out the possibility there are further faults in the engine without first driving it.

I've been speaking to the mechanic that towed my car on Sunday and mentioned all this to him and he doesn't agree with them and that the alternator was working when he had it.

If you could get access to the car get in, turn on the lights and maybe even full beams, get out, look. Is it bright?

Yes) Alternator and battery is fine and the garage have some explaining to do.
    Don't even tell them you are going to check. Just show up. The element of surprise might go in your favor here. If the battery is removed when you show up then it is possible they may be telling the truth
    No) The garage was right

The response from the garage seems reasonably legit to be honest. They aren't ruling out the fact that there could be something else wrong when the car is back running, which they will then consider, but they can't even check for that with a failed alternator.

It's be very unfortunate timing but not beyond the realms of possibility that the alternator has had a sudden failure, stranger things have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

€1200 for alternator and battery is extortionate. Get that fixed by your local mechanic and then once it's running get it back to the garage for the emissions issues because that's completely separate to an alternator issue.

With cold weather and more use of lights the battery and alternator would be under more pressure and so they could easily develop a fault.

KCross wrote: »
    €1200 for alternator and battery is extortionate.

To be fair, it's not extortion, it's about the going rate for a main dealer repair. They aren't robbing them at that price, that's just what they charge for that job.

There are cheaper places to get it repaired of course, as you say an independent garage with lower overheads using a refurbished part will be able to charge less.

That said, the OP's hands are slightly tied if the car isn't driving as the cost of towing the car to an independent will quickly soak up a lot of the savings made by taking it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€1200 isn’t extortion, but it’s shockingly expensive for something that obviously isn’t that well engineered in the first place.

To be fair, it's not extortion, it's about the going rate for a main dealer repair. They aren't robbing them at that price, that's just what they charge for that job.

There are cheaper places to get it repaired of course, as you say an independent garage with lower overheads using a refurbished part will be able to charge less.

That said, the OP's hands are slightly tied if the car isn't driving as the cost of towing the car to an independent will quickly soak up a lot of the savings made by taking it there.

alternator and battery would be about €400 in parts inc vat for OEM(Hella or Bosch) parts.
    That leaves €800 in labour? Is that reasonable even for a main dealer?

I'd still call it extortion. A tow to the local indie and you are still quids in. At €1200 I'd get it towed myself with help from friends.

Unless the Golf is an absolute pig to work on and the alternator is a days work?

It just seems like a lot to me. I've had alternators done before and labour was nowhere near that.

Anyway, I agree with you that the alternator has to be fixed (and paid for) first, one way or the other, before you can start looking at emissions issues.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    €1200 isn’t extortion, but it’s shockingly expensive for something that obviously isn’t that well engineered in the first place.

By my definition "shockingly expensive" = extortionate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭nhg

Got alternator replaced in our Toyota RAV4 d4d last week in the main Toyota dealer €475.00, they mentioned that it was an big job as the drive had to come off so your quote seems high...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

alternator and battery would be about €400 in parts inc vat for OEM(Hella or Bosch) parts.
    That leaves €800 in labour? Is that reasonable even for a main dealer?

But a main dealer won't use oem parts, they will use the more expensive comes in a vw box part. Could be €400 for the alternator, €200 for the start stop battery, €100 for tensioner, €20 for belt....plus fitting at whatever hourly rate they charge. Maybe €90 an hour plus vat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Neilw wrote: »
    But a main dealer won't use oem parts, they will use the more expensive comes in a vw box part. Could be €400 for the alternator, €200 for the start stop battery, €100 for tensioner, €20 for belt....plus fitting at whatever hourly rate they charge. Maybe €90 an hour plus vat?

So you mean they'll be using OEM parts.

Miike wrote: »
    So you mean they'll be using OEM parts.

They will be using OE parts, original equipment, genuine vw, in the vw box :D
    Compared to OEM, part made by the same manufacturer who supplies vw such as hella but in their own branded box.

I know the difference ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They will be using OE parts, original equipment, genuine vw, in the vw box :D
    Compared to OEM, part made by the same manufacturer who supplies vw such as hella but in their own branded box.

I know the difference ;)

As long as the production of the OE is in place, the OE and OEM are usually identical, even the branding is the same (apart from the packaging) . It's cheaper that way for the manufacturer. But once the OE production ceases, the quality of OEM parts can go down.

grogi wrote: »
    As long as the production of the OE is in place, the OE and OEM are usually identical, even the branding is the same (apart from the packaging) . It's cheaper that way for the manufacturer. But once the OE production ceases, the quality of OEM parts can go down.

The point I was making originally is they a main Volkswagen dealer won't use hella, Bosch, lemforder or similar packaged parts. They will use OE Volkswagen boxed parts, which may be exactly the same part but will cost more through the dealer parts department.

I don't think I'm too far out with my prices and thats backed up by post #590.... €475 for everything at a main dealer.

Obviously this dealer has done the calculations and will be able to provide an invoice showing €1200.... that doesn't take away from the fact that its an extortionate price for a fairly routine job.

I don't think I'm too far out with my prices and thats backed up by post #590.... €475 for everything at a main dealer.

Obviously this dealer has done the calculations and will be able to provide an invoice showing €1200.... that doesn't take away from the fact that its an extortionate price for a fairly routine job.

Parts prices between Toyota and VW could be vastly different, the only similarity would be the labour rate.

Parts prices between Toyota and VW could be vastly different, the only similarity would be the labour rate.

Sure, but do you think €1200 is reasonable and typical for replacing an alternator and battery in any main dealer? I don't think it is... hence the suggestion of getting it fixed elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If similar part with one logo is disproportionally more expensive than with another logo, that's extortion... If only they had some special technology or were known to last much longer than Toyota.

Sure, but do you think €1200 is reasonable and typical for replacing an alternator and battery in any main dealer? I don't think it is... hence the suggestion of getting it fixed elsewhere.

It is what it is, posters here are complaining that it's too expensive but Volkswagen are tied into using their OE parts which are more expensive than OEM or spurious parts.
    Of course the price would be less if spurious parts could be used but Volkswagen won't buy outside their parts department, that's the point I'm making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Worth a look if you want an insider view to the whole scandal.
    https://www.netflix.com/ie/title/80118100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

• Advertisement

Worth a look if you want an insider view to the whole scandal.

Worth a watch alright.

The section about gassing monkeys just shows how far German auto is willing to go to protect its diesel investment.

It even made the Irish papers...
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/volkswagen-under-fire-for-reportedly-testing-diesel-exhaust-on-monkeys-825329.html

VW is still the number one selling car brand in this country so clearly people don't care either way, which is interesting considering the discontent on this thread.

Advertisement