Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW emissions software update - disaster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Sorry if it's already been covered, but has anyone in Ireland managed to get the emissions update "rolled back" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Needles73 wrote: »
    [...] has anyone in Ireland managed to get the emissions update "rolled back" ?

Not through dealers network. Indys would do it no problem.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Apologies for dragging up an old thread. I was considering buying an Audi a3 2012 2litre recently but my brother who lives in the UK warned me about the software update and the problems it caused. Having read through some of this thread I've seen more vw issues than Audi. The update was done on this Audi 1.5 years ago and there has been nothing go on it since 're egr or dpf. The dealer is independent and said he'd give me a 1 year warranty for peace of mind and he has no concerns over it. Has anyone any experience good/bad/indifferent with Audi cars since the update?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Do Skodas and Seats of the same vintage have similar issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

blazermel wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience good/bad/indifferent with Audi cars since the update?

They have the same engine and get the same "fix" as the VW cars, so any negatives seen in VW's will be the same with Audis.

That said, the vast majority of cars that have issues after the update are cars that were already in ill health or had underlying issues. If the car is in good mechanical condition it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

My 2011 skoda superb 2litre tdi had the fix it was definitely down on power but no issues over 300000km although dpf light is coming on frequently now cud the filter be on the way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

My in laws have a seat and audi a4 bith of which got the recall.
    The egr valve went in the seat soon after.

The a4 is down on power since the recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP, basically you are simply better off buying any VAG that has not received the update.
    While you may have EGR, DPF or Injector issues later on, the update will only cause these issues to occur much sooner.
    This update is trying to force an Engine to produce emissions it was never designed to produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My 09 superb was done (so was I). 355 k now but is definitely down on power.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VW has repaired 80% of recalled cars, says European Commission
    Volkswagen has now repaired some 80 per cent of the 8.5 million cars recalled after the “dieselgate” scandal, the European Commission and national consumer protection authorities say.

They welcome the extent of the recall and the company’s commitment to rebuilding trust and its commitment to continue the free-of-charge update until the end of 2020.

But the commission and the consumer authorities regret that the company has not been able to give a full and clear guarantee in case of problems after the repair. Volkswagen has also not provided a full and clear guarantee that the update is not affecting the cars’ performance, the commission says.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/vw-has-repaired-80-of-recalled-cars-says-european-commission-1.3567844

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Repaired !!!!

Some neck saying that. Bollixed up I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Who else are in the club currently. VAG, BMW, Merc, and I recently heard Nissian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Who else are in the club currently. VAG, BMW, Merc, and I recently heard Nissian?

Renault too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Renault too.

I guess peugeot won't be too far behind either so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Everyone, anyone thinking otherwise is naive.

tossy wrote: »

We all know the motor industry is crooked as hell, who had been named and shamed tho :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

tossy wrote:

Hard to beat a good old conspiracy theory.

p.s. Have you any evidence to support your view?

OSI wrote: »
    Ford and Fiat Chrysler are also being investigated for similar, so pretty much all of the big "groups". GM and Kia Hyundai are the only one's I can think of that haven't.

There's a big difference between being investigated for something and being fined billions for blatant cheating as VW were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

OSI wrote: »
    Ford and Fiat Chrysler are also being investigated for similar, so pretty much all of the big "groups". GM and Kia Hyundai are the only one's I can think of that haven't.

Toyota have a clean conscience too, although they've basically given up on diesel since the advent of euro 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honda haven't had any fingers pointed at them afaik.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Renault too.

I guess peugeot won't be too far behind either so

Dont forget ford
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1EZ292

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

What percentage have subsequently had the "repair" repaired??

Have Merc/BMW and Nissan kinda got of the hook in comparison to VAG?
    Seening VAG has got the tyres roasted of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Have Merc/BMW and Nissan kinda got of the hook in comparison to VAG?
    Seening VAG has got the tyres roasted of em.

VAG were caught spoofing to the Yanks about how clean their diesels were. One thing you don't do in America is brag about your 'import' and then get caught. They take motoring, and their own auto industry seriously over there.

• Advertisement

I was listening to Absolute Radio this morning (Android Auto in car is marvellous) and there's quite an advertising push by www.claimagainstvw.com

Seems like a bit of a no brainer tbh. VW are paying out billions of US$ after all.

p.s. www.odwyersolicitors.ie seem to be looking for numbers here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Picture of a mk4 on front page. Obviously subject matter experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd probably have more faith in Lionel Hutz getting a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

grogi wrote: »
    And that's why VRT for diesels should still be based on CO2, but rates increased, while VRT for petrols should remain the same.

Someone is listening I guess... ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Hi,

I just found out a vw dealer applied this fix to my 1.6 tdi the last time it was serviced even though I stated I didn't want it done and signed a waver doc stating same, I found this out by checking the web and phoning vw ireland, what are my options with this, going to ring dealer tomorrow ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

ml100 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just found out a vw dealer applied this fix to my 1.6 tdi the last time it was serviced even though I stated I didn't want it done and signed a waver doc stating same, I found this out by checking the web and phoning vw ireland, what are my options with this, going to ring dealer tomorrow ?

I'd be interested to find out what happens from this point. Keep us posted!

A lot of this went on in the UK. Have a look through some of the VAG forums.
    They can't reverse the update. VW Dealers don't have the original Map.
    I'd say the best you'll get is an offer of a couple of Free Services or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Hope I'm not off topic, but when my car is idle and I put down the accelerator fully , it only goes to 2.5 revs

No problems with it while driving, goes above and beyond..

It's a 2.0 L Passat

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Hope I'm not off topic, but when my car is idle and I put down the accelerator fully , it only goes to 2.5 revs

It's a 2.0 L Passat

It's supposed to do that. Computer limited.

Perfectly normal....nothing to do with the Emissions update.

Thanks guy's

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

It's a 2.0 L Passat

Same thing happens with the 1.6, it's supposed to do it, it won't rev above 2500 rpm when not moving

Same thing happens with the 1.6, it's supposed to do it, it won't rev above 2500 rpm when not moving

So in the NCT center do they have it rolling along to test emissions.

No. They just do the smoke Test at 2,500rpm. It's even in the NCT Manual. "do the test at whatever max revs the manufacturer has mapped it for".....or words to that effect.

It's a 2.0 L Passat

Turn off the esp and clutch the car and it will rev out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

My car is fine after the fix. 1.6 diesel golf.

The emissions produced without the update are many times higher, not just a bit.

I'm sure there are independent tests described somewhere on the internet - showing whether there is a resulting change in performance. It might be that people encountering one have an unrelated issue, or even imagining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'm sure there are independent tests described somewhere on the internet - showing whether there is a resulting change in performance. It might be that people encountering one have an unrelated issue, or even imagining it.

Most show a drop in economy and also increased use of dpf that can lead to failure.

Bottom line is the "fix" is not good for your car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

dubrov wrote: »
    Most show a drop in economy and also increased use of dpf that can lead to failure.

Bottom line is the "fix" is not good for your car
    Better than spewing out particulate though. Causes developmental issues in small children, as well as a lot of serious health issues in everybody else.

Bit odd that consumers here are so poorly compensated. I got a free pair of wiper blades. I think in the USA they were offered a lot more. Business influence on policy seems likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Better than spewing out particulate though. Xauses development issues in small children, as well as a lot of serious health issues in everybody else.

To be blunt development issues in small children, the environment and everyone else, that's not the posters concern.

They had modifications applied to their car which they had specifically refused permission for.
    These modifications in a great many instances have had a detrimental effect on the performance and life of various engine parts.

If I was the poster this would be solicitor time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The injectors now work twice as much as before the fix, meaning their lifespan will be halved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

A friend of mine imported an English reg 2014 two litre Passat recently.
    Would the "fix" apply to this car?
    It was a lease car in England. Is it possible to find out if the fix was carried out on the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

tanko wrote: »
    A friend of mine imported an English reg 2014 two litre Passat recently.
    Would the "fix" apply to this car?
    It was a lease car in England. Is it possible to find out if the fix was carried out on the car?

It is my understanding there is a sticker (proof of completion label) attached to the car after the update has been applied. A cursory google search says it can be found under the bonnet (check all the stickers?) or in the spare wheel well. I'm not 100% certain though - I just remember someone saying it in conversation not too long ago.

Also he can ring VW Fix "hotline" and supply the VIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Thanks, i'll let her know that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

There is an online checker as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

My 1.6 tdi golf has never felt the same since the ‘fix’

Can’t put my finger on it exactly but you know the way you just know the feel of your car.

Dealer told me it might feel a bit different for a few days after and that was normal, I eventually just left it as I hadn’t got anything solid to complain about as it still ran fine, just felt different.

Advertisement