Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scoping out sale of a triplet

Options
  • 06-02-2017 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

(Mods - I'm not sure if this should go in adverts or not. If I'm inadvertently breaking a rule here - feel free to remove or move this thread.)

This is a bit "previous" but I want to put this out to allow potential purchasers time to consider the following. I imported a Thorn Me N U2 triplet (see pic) in 2012. It's designed to carry one adult and two kids (one aged 7-12, the other aged 4-10). It has been a great bike but my kids (who were five and seven when we got it) are now 10 and 12 and the coming school term will be the last we use it. In other words, I'm wondering what to do with it after June this year.

So although, it's not currently for sale, I'm wondering whether anyone here might conceivably be interested in buying it come the summer. For what it's worth it's in very good condition and I've h an almost completely upgraded transmission (SRAM X4 gear levers and rear derailleur, new eccentric bottom bracket and three new internal bottom brackets, new cranks on the front and middle bottom brackets and, most importantly three new chains and four new Thorn chainrings connecting the front rider to the back) along with a few other bits and pieces. In other words, there should be at least 5-10km of riding in it before any serious servicing work needs to be done with it. I bought it for just over €1400 so I was hoping to get around €800. Does that get anyone's juices going? If not, I might look at selling it on the Thorn Owner's Forum but that will probably mean getting it back to the UK (whence it came). Happy to facilitate test rides. (I'm based in Phibsboro.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

The eagle-eyed will note that there are two bikes in the attached pic (the only two in Dublin AFAIK). The one furthest away is the one for sale but they're pretty much identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can you express the child suitability in terms of approximate maximum heights?

I think mine are too big but maybe I can stop feeding them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just have more children so you'll get use out of the new purchase.

Planet X wrote: »
    Just have more children so you'll get use out of the new purchase.
    Worst. Idea. Ever.

Lumen wrote: »
    Can you express the child suitability in terms of approximate maximum heights?

I think mine are too big but maybe I can stop feeding them.

Hi Lumen, the big one is 156cm and the smaller one is 150cm. In point of fact both still fit comfortably but at the older one's current rate of growth she'll be an inch taller by June and there's certainly little prospect she'll fit by September. Anyway, she's starting secondary school and I highly doubt she'll tolerate the social death that would follow her being brought there on her Dad's eccentric transport of choice.

• Advertisement

OK. Mine are under 140cm so I might get a summer or two out of it.

It would be one of my stupider purchases to date (I live on a 10% hill) but that never stopped me before.

My interest will probably peak in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I'm slightly interested in this.. but I've a feeling it won't fit on my trailer.
    Could you measure the wheel base for me?.. centre to centre and overall length.

I've been carting my 2 around on a pashley roadster(one up front and one behind) the last few years... but I won't get away with it thus year :(.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I've seen you and the kids tearing down Botanic Rd. on it on more than one occasion - so bloody cool looking. Love it

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I'm slightly interested in this.. but I've a feeling it won't fit on my trailer.
    Could you measure the wheel base for me?.. centre to centre and overall length.

I've been carting my 2 around on a pashley roadster(one up front and one behind) the last few years... but I won't get away with it thus year :(.
    Marty.

The wheelbase is 218cm and the overall length is 284cm. Full specs here.

That's long. Where do you store it?

• Advertisement

OK. Mine are under 140cm so I might get a summer or two out of it.

It would be one of my stupider purchases to date (I live on a 10% hill) but that never stopped me before.

My interest will probably peak in May.

I hear you. On the gearing: I go up Mobhi Road everyday (not a 10% incline mind) but I've literally never used the smallest front ring because there's a mega-range-style cassette on the back. (Note to self: check movement to and from small ring.)

That's long. Where do you store it?

I had built a storage box around the previous child-carrier, the Bakfiets, so it slotted in there. Otherwise it lives in the hall: despite its size, I can lift it up the front steps.

rflynnr wrote: »
    The wheelbase is 218cm and the overall length is 284cm. Full specs here.

Ok it will just fit if I mod a bracket on trailer for it... so yeah I'll see come May. My kids are 6 & 8 and small for age, would they reach pedals ok?
    Marty.

Well, mine were 5 and 7 and I had to raise the saddle for the older one at that so, as per the manufacturer's recommendations, I think the back seat will work for any kid from 4 years up. Similarly the middle seat should work for any kid from 7 up.

Incidentally, a friend of mine (who pops up on these pages occasionally) owns the other triplet in the photo above. He had a mechanism which allowed him to put an even younger kid in the middle. You should be able to see it if you look closely at the middle set of pedals on the bike nearest the camera.

A final thing: I will continue to use this until school ends in June so it won't be available till then. Thanks for the interest guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

408502.jpg

Nice looking yoke. Definitely the answer is have a couple more kids. Sure a bird never flew one two wings.

Yes I had spotted those pedals on the other one... but based on your comments I wouldn't need them.
    Keep us posted do in June.
    Marty.

Advertisement