Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Meetings - Alternative to AA - Cork?

Options
  • 06-02-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi Does anyone know of any alternative meetings to AA in Cork (pref city)? Not an alcoholic (per se) but considering giving it up but would like to go to a meeting.
    I don't think AA is for me - I was at a meeting for a different issue where they use the 12 step prog and I didn't like it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Lifering? I think they have meetings in Cork.

No, sorry they don't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's a pity that LifeRing don't have a meeting in Cork anymore. They are a great alternative to AA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

JupiterKid wrote:
    It's a pity that LifeRing don't have a meeting in Cork anymore. They are a great alternative to AA.

How did it close? I wouldn't mind starting it again if someone would help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lady Mac

Hi Penovine,

I don't know of any but I'll be following this thread. I think it's such a pity that we don't have widespread alternative meetings. I'd love to meet up with others who would like to share their stories but don't want to go to AA for whatever reason. I'm also someone who doesn't like to use the term alcoholic. I'm not in denial and I know that I can never drink again but I think the word does more harm than good and I don't want to carry a label. I was at an early stage in my dependency (psychologically but not yet physically addicted) and my recovery journey has involved a wide range of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blacki40

Lifering meetings in cork.
    Hi,

Does anyone know if lifering has meetings in cork city. I believe they did but stopped.
    Have attended them in Dublin and really found them helpful.
    Or would anyone be interested in trying to start one with the help of myself and maybe others.

Blacki40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

penovine wrote: »
    Hi Does anyone know of any alternative meetings to AA in Cork (pref city)? Not an alcoholic (per se) but considering giving it up but would like to go to a meeting.
    I don't think AA is for me - I was at a meeting for a different issue where they use the 12 step prog and I didn't like it.
    Thanks.

Are there any other addiction support centres in the Cork area? Even if you are not an alcoholic some of these places are great to give you practical support. I was looking for help for my OH and AA was not for him he said but eventually he went to our GP and she mentioned a support centre ..he went but wasn't gone on that either. They also have one on one for family support so I took that up even though he wasn't bothered. At the time I think he just hadn't fully admitted to himself or wasn't ready to get practical help. So he wasn't in the right state of mind to take in anything. Everyone is different but even if you don't like AA if there's no other option as they say in it take what you want and leave the rest behind. Maybe try a different meeting in a different area, if you look at it more as meeting the people after the meeting and just getting out rather than the pub and through them (there's usually a cuppa and a chat after if you want) they might know of other options or might say something that just clicks with you. Personally I'm not gone on AA/Al anon and in rehab my OH had to go to meetings regularly in there but as he said it wasn't all about the meetings for him it was sticking to the whole programme, if he was going to do it he was going all in. He is doing well but still doesn't get anything out of the odd meeting but when you are starting out you really need the support of someone or a group. He did find though that telling his story at the meeting helped others stay positive, I think he got more out of helping them than spilling his guts if you know what I mean. There must be somewhere in the area I didn't know of the support centre for years, if only I had of! It was by chance I found out about it, sometimes you've to do some digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

SMART recovery is a good alternative that has started to take off in Dublin over the last couple years; not sure if they're in Cork yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

dar100 wrote: »
    SMART recovery is a good alternative that has started to take off in Dublin over the last couple years; not sure if they're in Cork yet

It's a really good, practical programme. Not sure if you could call it a programme it's very relaxed and non noncense but very knowledgeable and friendly and open, non judgemental. I think it's one of the best out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

It's a really good, practical programme. Not sure if you could call it a programme it's very relaxed and non noncense but very knowledgeable and friendly and open, non judgemental. I think it's one of the best out there.

As you've said its a practical "programme" 😊

Advertisement