Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City commuter bike reccommendation request

Options
  • 06-02-2017 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I need some advice re buying a bike on the cycle to work scheme. I am bewildered by the options out there!

Originally I thought I would buy one of the 'pretty' dutch style bikes, but I have heard they can be very heavy and cumbersome so now my focus is more so on what bike would be best practically for my commute.

I will be using the bike to commute 8k each day in Dublin city centre - most of which will be on designated cycle paths. I'm about 5' 3" and not the fittest.

Does anyone know of what style/brand/particular specs I should be focusing on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I suppose the first question will be. Do you have somewhere safe and secure to lock it up? Ideally beside your chair in the office if working in town.

after that is it purely a commuter no plans to take up cycling or go out for 3-4 hour spins at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Your best bet is to go into your local cycling shop and have a look at bikes and talk to someone knowledgeable. They shouldn't put you under too much pressure to buy, but tell them you are "not looking to buy today" up front. Almost everywhere you will find they are friendly and helpful, so long as you don't go in at a busy time and expect attention for two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I definitely have somewhere to lock it up safely at work (underground car park) and I expect it'll be used as only a city centre commuter/pop into town the odd time.

I definitely have somewhere to lock it up safely at work (underground car park) and I expect it'll be used as only a city centre commuter/pop into town the odd time.

I'd still invest in a good lock plenty of stories on here of lads having there only purchased bikes pinched from underground "secure" car parks.

Have you ever ridden a drop bar bike?

I'd probably go for a hybrid style bike if it were me and you've no intention of going for longer distances.

Something along the lines of this

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/model/rapid.2/28635/99378/#features

or this

http://www.chargebikes.com/grater-2/

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

If you are starting from scratch you will need to budget for some extra stuff as well as the bike. The first €1000 is covered tax free as part of bike to work scheme. The best bet is to get all the extra bits when you get the bike so that you can include them in the tax free price. Off the top of my head you'll need:
    - Lights. Get good ones. Lots of impressive USB chargeable ones available for reasonable prices nowadays.
    - Mudguards. Sitting in work with a wet bum is not much fun!
    - Lock. Get a really heavy duty U-Lock with a cable tether for extra flexibility. Do not skimp.
    - Hex bolt skewers. Difficult to buy a bike without quick release wheels and saddle post. If you have to leave the bike in the open, you'll need to replace these with hex bolt skewers, or the fancier more secure key-lock security versions of same.
    - Pack away raincoat. You won't get caught out too often in Dublin to be honest (despite what you may imagine), but it's handy to have one just in case.
    - Carrier and pannier. You'll generally need some kind of bag to carry your stuff around in. Some people need to bring extra stuff like a change of clothes and in that case it could be necessary to get a pannier (make sure it's waterproof!).
    - Saddle. Could be that the bike you will choose has the perfect saddle for you, but it may need an upgrade if this is not the case.

After all that lot you are getting into the realms of repair and maintenance equipment. This can be a bit of a rabbit hole, but there are a few basics you may want to investigate.
    - Pump. Not just for reinflating after punctures. Keeping the tyres at the right pressure will help you go faster. A track pump is a kind of stand up affair with a gauge that will pump your tyres really fast. Not really portable though. Lezyne do the best minipumps for portability.
    - Puncture repair kit. Patches and glue.
    - Hex keys. (AKA Allen keys). All the bolts on a new bike can be adjusted with hex keys. (4mm, 5mm, 6mm will cover most of them).

Quite a bit of extra stuff really and worth taking into account while getting a new bike under the bike to work scheme.

Have I forgotten anything vital? (apart from a Team Car, mechanic, and a team of domestiques to tow you to the 'finish line' of your daily commute).

Regarding the bike itself, a drop bar road bike will let you spin along relatively quickly for less effort, but the position takes more getting used to. A mountain bike with suspension and knobbly tyres is overkill for Dublin and too heavy. The dutch-style/shopper bike are not really the most suitable for the longer commute you are planning. They are comfy, but also slow and heavy. The most popular commuter bike would be the hybrid type with flat handlebars and skinnier wheels. There is really good variety in this range nowadays. They are fast and don't need much getting used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

check_six wrote: »
    If you are starting from scratch you will need to budget for some extra stuff as well as the bike. The first €1000 is covered tax free as part of bike to work scheme. The best bet is to get all the extra bits when you get the bike so that you can include them in the tax free price. Off the top of my head you'll need:
    - Lights. Get good ones. Lots of impressive USB chargeable ones available for reasonable prices nowadays.
    - Mudguards. Sitting in work with a wet bum is not much fun!
    - Lock. Get a really heavy duty U-Lock with a cable tether for extra flexibility. Do not skimp.
    - Hex bolt skewers. Difficult to buy a bike without quick release wheels and saddle post. If you have to leave the bike in the open, you'll need to replace these with hex bolt skewers, or the fancier more secure key-lock security versions of same.
    - Pack away raincoat. You won't get caught out too often in Dublin to be honest (despite what you may imagine), but it's handy to have one just in case.
    - Carrier and pannier. You'll generally need some kind of bag to carry your stuff around in. Some people need to bring extra stuff like a change of clothes and in that case it could be necessary to get a pannier (make sure it's waterproof!).
    - Saddle. Could be that the bike you will choose has the perfect saddle for you, but it may need an upgrade if this is not the case.

After all that lot you are getting into the realms of repair and maintenance equipment. This can be a bit of a rabbit hole, but there are a few basics you may want to investigate.
    - Pump. Not just for reinflating after punctures. Keeping the tyres at the right pressure will help you go faster. A track pump is a kind of stand up affair with a gauge that will pump your tyres really fast. Not really portable though. Lezyne do the best minipumps for portability.
    - Puncture repair kit. Patches and glue.
    - Hex keys. (AKA Allen keys). All the bolts on a new bike can be adjusted with hex keys. (4mm, 5mm, 6mm will cover most of them).

Quite a bit of extra stuff really and worth taking into account while getting a new bike under the bike to work scheme.

Have I forgotten anything vital? (apart from a Team Car, mechanic, and a team of domestiques to tow you to the 'finish line' of your daily commute).

Regarding the bike itself, a drop bar road bike will let you spin along relatively quickly for less effort, but the position takes more getting used to. A mountain bike with suspension and knobbly tyres is overkill for Dublin and too heavy. The dutch-style/shopper bike are not really the most suitable for the longer commute you are planning. They are comfy, but also slow and heavy. The most popular commuter bike would be the hybrid type with flat handlebars and skinnier wheels. There is really good variety in this range nowadays. They are fast and don't need much getting used to.

Good post. Covers just about everything. We should churn this one out again when somebody asks about a new bike for commuting or starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Good post. Covers just about everything. We should churn this one out again when somebody asks about a new bike for commuting or starting off.

I wouldn't agree with it. I'd spend all the morning on the bike and then get the extras online where they will be much cheaper. Lots of shops mark up the extras big time.

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with it. I'd spend all the morning on the bike and then get the extras online where they will be much cheaper. Lots of shops mark up the extras big time.

Yes possibly and so would I but going by my colleagues at work who are starting from scratch they want to hit the road ready to go so tend to pay around the €800 mark for the bike.

Obviously better to spend all 1000 on the bike but that's not really the way new cyclists think (in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I need some advice re buying a bike on the cycle to work scheme. I am bewildered by the options out there!

Originally I thought I would buy one of the 'pretty' dutch style bikes, but I have heard they can be very heavy and cumbersome so now my focus is more so on what bike would be best practically for my commute.

I will be using the bike to commute 8k each day in Dublin city centre - most of which will be on designated cycle paths. I'm about 5' 3" and not the fittest.

Does anyone know of what style/brand/particular specs I should be focusing on?

I recommend Specialized Sirrus hybrids (available in Cycleways anyway).. have 2 myself. Go for the highest spec you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with it. I'd spend all the money on the bike and then get the extras online where they will be much cheaper. Lots of shops mark up the extras big time.
    Yes possibly and so would I but going by my colleagues at work who are starting from scratch they want to hit the road ready to go so tend to pay around the €800 mark for the bike.

Obviously better to spend all 1000 on the bike but that's not really the way new cyclists think (in my experience)

A colleague bought a bike on the scheme and I was kind of horrified when I found that the bike cost them about €450 *before* the tax break. Essentially they were paying about half that in reality. They got booger all extras with it. I thought it was a big waste of an opportunity. (In the end they got a puncture and never bothered getting it fixed, end of cycling career!).

Naturally, you or I might spend the whole allowance (and then some) on the bike, but then we probably have all the other accoutrements already built up over time. If you start from scratch it's worth thinking about the extras and how you might save some money when getting them in the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah get reinforced tyres for commuting in Dublin!

check_six wrote: »
    A colleague bought a bike on the scheme and I was kind of horrified when I found that the bike cost them about €450 *before* the tax break. Essentially they were paying about half that in reality. They got booger all extras with it. I thought it was a big waste of an opportunity. (In the end they got a puncture and never bothered getting it fixed, end of cycling career!).

Naturally, you or I might spend the whole allowance (and then some) on the bike, but then we probably have all the other accoutrements already built up over time. If you start from scratch it's worth thinking about the extras and how you might save some money when getting them in the beginning.

To balance yourpoint I know 2 lads one spent €1000 the other €1500 both bike are currently gathering dust in sheds.

Suffice to say there's not always a need to spend he full amount on either a bike or extras which as far as I'm aware only allows for safety items = lights/helmet etc.

Not true it allows for any bicycle related stuff, upgraded tires, locks etc.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Not true it allows for any bicycle related stuff, upgraded tires, locks etc.

Are you sure? Do you have a link or do I have to go looking.

It allows for "accessories" which covers anything cycling-related. The guy in shop told me all this.

I ****ed it up tho, only spent e600 on bike+bits originally. Ended up going back over the next year and buying better tires/mudflaps etc etc. Should have just done it all in one go.

srsly78 wrote: »
    It allows for "accessories" which covers anything cycling-related. The guy in shop told me all this.

I ****ed it up tho, only spent e600 on bike+bits originally. Ended up going back over the next year and buying better tires/mudflaps etc etc. Should have just done it all in one go.

The guy in the shop was full of **** but sure I'd be willing to bet they'd get anything through on the invoice.

Purchase of the following new safety equipment is also covered:

"Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    Bells and bulb horns
    Lights, including dynamo packs
    Mirrors and mudguards to ensure that the rider’s visibility is not impaired
    Cycle clips and dress guards
    Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors"

That covers everything I can think of. It's just a "one shot" thing tho, you can't go back later and topup your purchase to the e1000 limit.

OP there's a bike to work scheme mega thread. Go there and it will have all the right info.

Sorry guys I thought I replied yesterday but I musn't have submitted post correctly. I really appreciate the advice.

I think I may as well spend the 1000 while I have the opportunity so I'm planning on getting lights, helmet, good lock, reflective gear, pump, etc all at once. I've never ridden a drop bar so I'm a bit wary of them.

I went into two shops in town yesterday and was recommended either a Raleigh Strada 2 or one of the lighter "Bobbin" brand bicycles.

I do fancy the Bobbin most although I know that appearance should not be my main motivation. I have a gut feeling that the Raleighs may be more reliable/popular as I've seen plenty of them around town.

What do you think of these?

http://bobbinbikes.com/product/black-orchid/
    http://bobbinbikes.com/product/blackbird/
    http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=266&pg=17723

Sorry guys I thought I replied yesterday but I musn't have submitted post correctly. I really appreciate the advice.

I think I may as well spend the 1000 while I have the opportunity so I'm planning on getting lights, helmet, good lock, reflective gear, pump, etc all at once. I've never ridden a drop bar so I'm a bit wary of them.

I went into two shops in town yesterday and was recommended either a Raleigh Strada 2 or one of the lighter "Bobbin" brand bicycles.

I do fancy the Bobbin most although I know that appearance should not be my main motivation. I have a gut feeling that the Raleighs may be more reliable/popular as I've seen plenty of them around town.

What do you think of these?

http://bobbinbikes.com/product/black-orchid/
    http://bobbinbikes.com/product/blackbird/
    http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=266&pg=17723

I am not familiar with either but have a look at this parallel thread where someone else is looking at commuter bikes. You will probably find Trek, Giant and Specialized are the most popular makes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057703172

I take it you are female. Are you committed to a ladies style "walkthrough" bike or would you be happy with a cross bar.

Some brands like Trek do a ladies model with lower cross bar..

• Advertisement

I am not familiar with either but have a look at this parallel thread where someone else is looking at commuter bikes. You will probably find Trek, Giant and Specialized are the most popular makes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057703172

I take it you are female. Are you committed to a ladies style "walkthrough" bike or would you be happy with a cross bar.

Some brands like Trek do a ladies model with lower cross bar..

I don't think I'd have any issue with a cross bar at all.

Advertisement