Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommie tippee perfect prep and Aptamil anti reflux milk

Options
  • 06-02-2017 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

My lo is on Zantac for reflux and she's still spewing up milk after some feeds sometimes what seems like nearly a whole bottle. The phn called today and says we should try the aptamil anti reflux milk with the aim of getting her off the Zantac after a while.

We are currently using the Tommie tippee machine with the standard aptamil formula. Does anybody have any experiences of using the machine with the anti reflux formula?

Also I know it does not come in pre made up cartons, how do ye manage when out an about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hi Starbright we have been through this with our little guy. To be honest we found the anti reflux forumla a nightmare. Yes it reducded the reflux but it made he him really constipated + it's a nightmare to make up. You will need large teats as the formula is much thicker. It's also a really horrible consistency.

You cant buy it pre made as it's too thick. Our solution after trial + error as been to add Carobel to his forumla. You use normal forumla + make it as normal with the machine then add as much as your baby needs. Now all babies are different so talk to you PHN .

Any questions fire away we have survived through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I'd go to the GP and ignore PHN

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd actually agree with going to the GP.Our first was on Zantac for silent reflux.It neutralises the stomach acid but it's not going to stop her puking.I have heard (I feel I've read it in something medical somewhere) that you should not mix those stomach medications like Zantac with those anti reflux milks.I can't remember the exact reasons why but it's not good. In our ignorance we did give our LO thicker milk for a week at around three months while she was on the Zantac, and it was difficult to work alright.In our case it made no difference either and we returned to the normal.
    I would certainly check with the GP before doing anything with the milk, especially if she's on medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Thanks a mill guys I'm at the doctor Thursday with her anyway and I'll mention to her. Never heard of carobel before.

We gave her some infacol a few days last week and reading up in it online some people say its great for bringing up wind but it also relaxes muscles making it easier to bring up a lot of milk too. So going to stop this and go back to basics a bit more like not changing her nappy after feeds and keep her sitting up after feeds etc.

The doc put her on Zantac as she was quite fussy at night but this (fingers crossed) seems to have eased even if we forget to give her a dose and also she's putting on weight grand now. Will talk to doc , tks a mill good to hear other experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Actually Starbright I'm just after remembering a friend of mine had the perfect prep and her little girl kept puking up bottles. GP told her to stop using the machine and the child improved immediately. It really put me off those machines as I don't think they sterilise the formula powder properly. Would you try a couple of days now without using the machine just to see?

Also the ready made formula made my reflux baby worse. We used a combo of normal formula, gaviscon and infacol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The perfect prep machine isn't recommended by the food safety authority. It doesn't meet the required standards to sterilise formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BB2011

I found anti reflux formula a nightmare too. The constipation was worse than the reflux. I used carobel too with aptamil. I found it brilliant. It did make his dirty nappies very explosive but they settled after a couple of weeks. Also zantac needs to be increased as baby gains weight. And only has a shelf life of 28 days. It begins to loose effectiveness after 28 days, not sure if you're aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We used the perfect prep with baby gaviscon for our lads reflux. Tried the reflux milk and it was just unusable. Our worst bottles were actually the premade stuff-our lad could not handle it at all

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Funny, same here. We used SMA comfort (no perfect prep, I'm a bit suspicious of it). She couldn't handle the ready made stuff at all either, the few times we tried it.

Starbright, definitely do the whole sitting up after feeds, turning her on her side srather than lifting legs when doing nappies, tip up head of cot etc along with the Zantac. It all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SettlePettal

I had a nightmare with silent reflux took 4 months to diagnose. Was put on zantac and i have him on Enfamil anti reflux. What everyone is saying about the constipation is completely true. I stuck with it and gave him cool boiled water and maybe prune juice to counteract it and that is working perfectly now. He's happier all round.

I had to chop and change until i got it right. Go with the doc and what you feel yourself until you are satisfied.

I have heard some dodgy stuff with those machines, I would just make it up yourself if going ahead with it. And you will defo need a larger teat as it is thicker. Also my LO puked up more milk after the zantac tbh but he hardly does it at all now, he's 7 months. I used to have to change him 5 to 6 times a day.

Out and about i have a bottle of boiled water in a bottle warmer( can keep up to 4 hours) and then a small lunch box with exactly how many scoops you need and i lob it in and shake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As above, do your research on that perfect prep- from stuff I've read, id never use one.

Advertisement