Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

skipping or rope jumping. Comparison to running.

• 06-02-2017 6:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭

Skipping = rope jumping.

I do a lot of rope jumping or skipping in an attempt to get fitter or to lose weight.

Skipping is great if you want to do aerobic exercise without leaving the house and without buying equipment like a treadmill or a rowing machine.

Skipping can be done in your house. I'm 5'10" or so and when I reach up with both hands my fingers end up about an inch from the ceiling. My rope occasionally hits the ceiling but it doesn't affect me. You can wear runners or buy a rubber mat to protect your feet and legs. You can skip indoors in all weathers.

I try to do 4,000 skips per 40 minute session. I have speed ropes from China with thin metal ropes, and other ropes with counters in the handles. I like the ropes with the counters to 999 as it allows you to count your skips accurately and to time yourself and try to improve.

4,000 skips in 40 minutes is my target but it's hard enough. Before I had the counter ropes and stopwatch I used to skip for 60 or 70 minutes but that's much harder. I'm more likely to do a 40 minute sprint session so that's why I now do the shorter sessions, but I have the target of 4,000 to hit.

World record for one minute
    approx 330 as far as I know, approx 5.5 skips per second.

World record over 60 minutes.
    approx 12,800 or so, over 3.5 skips per second for the entire 3,600 seconds in a hour, that's over 200 skips per minute.

I struggle to do 4,000 skips in 40 minutes. It usually takes between 43 and 48 minutes.

How does that compare to running?

It seems really bad. If a stride length was 1 meter then 4,000 strides would take you 4km. It wouldn't take 40 minutes to run 4km would it?

Is 4,000 running strides equal to 4,000 skips or is the running more difficult?

I'm quickest at skipping if I jump both feet at the same time. I can skip from one foot to the other but I'm slower that way. The world records are all made by people skipping from one foot to the other, and using both arms to propel a very thin rope.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Skipping = rope jumping.

I do a lot of rope jumping or skipping in an attempt to get fitter or to lose weight.

Skipping is great if you want to do aerobic exercise without leaving the house and without buying equipment like a treadmill or a rowing machine.

Skipping can be done in your house. I'm 5'10" or so and when I reach up with both hands my fingers end up about an inch from the ceiling. My rope occasionally hits the ceiling but it doesn't affect me. You can wear runners or buy a rubber mat to protect your feet and legs. You can skip indoors in all weathers.

I try to do 4,000 skips per 40 minute session. I have speed ropes from China with thin metal ropes, and other ropes with counters in the handles. I like the ropes with the counters to 999 as it allows you to count your skips accurately and to time yourself and try to improve.

4,000 skips in 40 minutes is my target but it's hard enough. Before I had the counter ropes and stopwatch I used to skip for 60 or 70 minutes but that's much harder. I'm more likely to do a 40 minute sprint session so that's why I now do the shorter sessions, but I have the target of 4,000 to hit.

World record for one minute
    approx 330 as far as I know, approx 5.5 skips per second.

World record over 60 minutes.
    approx 12,800 or so, over 3.5 skips per second for the entire 3,600 seconds in a hour, that's over 200 skips per minute.

I struggle to do 4,000 skips in 40 minutes. It usually takes between 43 and 48 minutes.

It seems really bad. If a stride length was 1 meter then 4,000 strides would take you 4km. It wouldn't take 40 minutes to run 4km would it?

I'm quickest at skipping if I jump both feet at the same time. I can skip from one foot to the other but I'm slower that way. The world records are all made by people skipping from one foot to the other, and using both arms to propel a very thin rope.
    Man id be hella bored skipping in one place for anything more than 2mins !

No idea how it compares to runni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 L Angelo Misterioso

Love it. Running bores the hell out of me.

I find skipping a lot more fun. It's a challenge to keep the rythym going. You also have skill work and lot of different techniques.

Another plus is it's low impact.

I read in a few places it burns a lot more calories than running (joggin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you like skipping and don't like running, then skip.

If you like running but don't like skipping, then run.

Do whichever one you like because if the one that burns more calories isn't something you enjoy, then you'll be looking at the calories you didn't burn because you couldn't be bothered running/skipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I read in a few places it burns a lot more calories than running (joggin).
    It doesn't.

With both skipping and running the energy you burn is proportional to the energy/effort you put in.
    If you can't skip very well, you won't burn very much at all.

You can't really compare the two imo. At least not with steps vrs skips.

FYI your stride would be longer than 1m. I'm slightly shorter than you and my stride is about 1.25m when running.
    I ran a 5km in was 23m20s today. It was 4,000 steps and burned 390 calories. The only way to compare that to skipped would be to wear a HRM and see how much you are burning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭troll_a_roll

NEW RECORDS FOR ME !
    I did a session today. I felt loose and tried for a good time.

time until first mistake, 347 skips (new record), time =2min 1sec
    time for 1,000 skips = 9min 1 sec
    time for 2,000 skips =18:30
    time for 3,000 skips = 28:30
    time for 4,000 = 38:35

Mellors time of 23min 20sec for running 5km is equilivent to 2,976 skips, in only 23m20, as per the calculations below. The comparison isn't fully accurate.

Some comparisons of running and skipping based on world records.

running, 20,000m, record time 56:26
    running, 25,000m, Mosop Moses record time 72:25

so
    approx 21,000 meters in 60 minutes would be world record type pace.

One Hour Run, from Wikipedia.
    The men's world record is 21,285 m, set by Haile Gebrselassie on 27 June 2007

skipping, 12,702 skips in 60 minutes.
    The most skips in one hour is 12,702 and was achieved by Peter Nestler. If skipping was an olympic event this record would probably be broken.

So.
    12,702 skips equals 21,285 meters.
    1 skip equals 1.68 meters.
    1 meter = 0.6 skips

Therefore, Mellors time of 23m20 for 5,000 meters would be equal to ...
    2,976 skips, in only 23m20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Trying to equate running and skipping based on records really only tells you how to equate the time to do each.

It doesn't tell you anything about how many calories it burns.

One Hour Run, from Wikipedia.
    The men's world record is 21,285 m, set by Haile Gebrselassie on 27 June 2007

The most skips in one hour is 12,702 and was achieved by Peter Nestler. If skipping was an olympic event this record would probably be broken.

The problem with this comparison is that Haile Gebrselassie is the elite of the elite. The best of all time from a massive pool of runners in the last 30 years.

Peter Nestler is the best from a much smaller pool of skippers.
    That fact tends to over value skips compared to metres.

12,702 skips equals 21,285 meters.
    1 skip equals 1.68 meters.
    1 meter = 0.6 skips

Therefore, Mellors time of 23m20 for 5,000 meters would be equal to ...
    2,976 skips, in only 23m20.
    FYI 5000*(12,702/21,285) = 2984 ;)
    I want my 8 skips. :P

Seriously though, this only compares the time it takes to do the activity.
    For example, you can probably write letters at a similar rate to your skipping. It's not remotely equivalent though.

Get a HRM and you'll have an accurate calorie comparison. Important for you because your double jump technique is probably less efficient meaning you burn more. In fact I know its less efficient, I'm the same when I skip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭troll_a_roll

Interesting stuff Mellor.

I agree that the skipping world record is less competative, and I had come to this conclusion myself. Skipping isn't an olympic event and skipping isn't widespread so the record isn't as competative.

Peter Nessler who achieved the skipping record has seven or more skipping world records. He says he expected to achieve 13,500 instead of 12,700, and he felt very poor on the day and made many uncharacteristic mistakes.
    I feel maximum human performance could be as high as 14,400 skips, or 4 skips per second for an hour.

Mellor, I did steal 8 skips as I used the rounded figure of 1.68 instead of the longer decimal.

adjusted calculation using higher figure for skips.
    5000*(14,400/21,285) = 3,383 skips, in only 23m 20s

compared to me doing 3,000 skips in 28:30.

I think skipping and runnning are more similar to one another than skipping and letter writing. Both activities would seem to be mainly the legs but with all of the body being used to some degree.

How would your running time suffer if your arms were tied to your sides?

The skipping guy, Peter Nessler, describes his training and how hard things are on the following training log.
    http://www.jumprm.com/guinness-world-records-23

He has incredible records like...
    skipping on one foot for 30 seconds = 132 skips.
    Most Rope Skips While Keeping A Football In The Air In One Minute = 180
    Most Skips Of A Rope Wearing Flippers In Five Minutes !!! = 558

How is the football one or the flipper one even done?

I think skipping and runnning are more similar to one another than skipping and letter writing. Both activities would seem to be mainly the legs but with all of the body being used to some degree.
    I wasn't suggesting they they were similar, I was pointing out that both are limited by the time it takes to do them.
    How would your running time suffer if your arms were tied to your sides?
    Well tying my arms to my side, immobilises my shouders, which immobilises my spine and hips. It's slow me as it directly affecting my legs, not just because I use my arms to run.

Cutting my arms off entirely would have less of an effect.

The skipping guy, Peter Nessler, describes his training and how hard things are on the following training log.
    http://www.jumprm.com/guinness-world-records-23

He has incredible records like...
    skipping on one foot for 30 seconds = 132 skips.
    Most Rope Skips While Keeping A Football In The Air In One Minute = 180
    Most Skips Of A Rope Wearing Flippers In Five Minutes !!! = 558

How is the football one or the flipper one even done?[/QUOTE]

Advertisement