Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

listermint wrote: »
    Sky have removed the tweet

What was the tweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Esse85 wrote: »
    That cheat Bamford was as embarrassing as this
    https://youtu.be/c17aeF7JxAg

It was much worse then that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Only catching up on this now, having had to switch off game as heading in to cinema..

All I can say is imagine we did have to face each other in playoff final after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

RasTa wrote: »
    It was much worse then that

Bamford did his utmost to get El Gazhi a 3 game ban, Bamford should himself get a 3 game ban for this embarrassing act of cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bamford did his utmost to get El Gazhi a 3 game ban, Bamford should himself get a 3 game ban for this embarrassing act of cheating.
    That is what most likely will happen. If Bamford doesn't get the ban the FA have bottled it. It is on clear video footage and they will have to look at it considering there will be an El Ghazi appeal for them to review.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What did I miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Video on Twitter of Hourihane hitting a Leeds player after the final whistle. Hope it's not reviewed by EFL but we can't complain if it is and he gets a ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

matrim wrote:
    Video on Twitter of Hourihane hitting a Leeds player after the final whistle. Hope it's not reviewed by EFL but we can't complain if it is and he gets a ban

That was on the pitch during the fracas after the goal he might get a ban

Bamford should get a ban for grabbing Gazri by the throat if not for cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

If it's a Villa/Leeds playoff final then I can't see too many refs putting their hands up to ref that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Rest every single player in the last game, no chances taken whatsoever.

We need a good lead in the home leg against the Baggies, would like a 2 goal advantage going to the hawthorns as it will be a very tough night on their patch.

Really looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I couldn't believe McGinn wasn't taken off after he got his yellow card, I honestly was sh#ting myself he would get another yellow and miss the whole playoffs.

From yesterdays game I have to say that we look so solid at the back now its great.

But from a negative point, I would still really fear Leeds in a final, I thought they won the midfield battle yesterday and this should be our strongest position. They totally stopped Grelish yesterday.

Also I would have Davis in ahead of Kodja in the team selections, Kodja is just so frustrating to watch. He struggles to hold the ball up, when he does manage it more often then not he takes the wrong option (gives a poor pass when he does pass or doesn't pass at all when he should pass). David when has come on has shown far more ability IMO then Kodja has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Corholio wrote: »
    Leeds are a disgrace.

Leeds fan here.

I’m curious why you think this.

Bamford was out of order. The red card should be rescinded. No argument there.

But Villa should not have been allowed to walk in the equaliser. The rule is you play to the whistle. Smith cried like a little girl and begged Bielsa to get one back. Even after they got it Terry still moaned.

https://youtu.be/TI1js3W-lJg

Villa players were no angels in the fracas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeedsUnited/comments/bidfm8/video_appears_to_show_hourihane_punching_klich

And Grealish. Jaysus. I get it now why he’s hated at most clubs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeedsUnited/comments/bimf7i/dean_smith_said_jack_grealish_was_targeted_i

So, call the club a disgrace if you like. But I’m so proud to have Bielsa as our manager instead of someone like that cry baby Smith or complete cretin Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

quarryman wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeedsUnited/comments/bimf7i/dean_smith_said_jack_grealish_was_targeted_i

ah here now, that first "Fair Tackle" was bloody dangerous, no? Am I on my own on this?

Video is highly subjective...

Leeds fan here.

But Villa should not have been allowed to walk in the equaliser. The rule is you play to the whistle. Smith cried like a little girl and begged Bielsa to get one back.

Be honest here, if a Villa player had gone in on Tyler Roberts, when everyone else was standing off thinking he was about to kick the ball out of play, and won the ball and launched a Villa attack- do you think there wouldn't have been an outcry after that? Roberts looked to be kicking the ball out, to be tackled hard by someone who was 'just playing the whistle' would have had the equal outcry of what Roberts did.

Patser wrote: »
    Be honest here, if a Villa player had gone in on Tyler Roberts, when everyone else was standing off thinking he was about to kick the ball out of play, and won the ball and launched a Villa attack- do you think there wouldn't have been an outcry after that? Roberts looked to be kicking the ball out, to be tackled hard by someone who was 'just playing the whistle' would have had the equal outcry of what Roberts did.

But who’s decision was it to stand off Roberts? It certainly wasn’t the ref. The Villa players were literally forcing Leeds to stop attacking. Why should they? If the Villa players want to stop playing that’s fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

But who’s decision was it to stand off Roberts? It certainly wasn’t the ref. The Villa players were literally forcing Leeds to stop attacking. Why should they? If the Villa players want to stop playing that’s fine.

Are you really that blind? The guy made the fake body language he was going to put the ball out, that's why everyone stopped then he decided not to which left most of the villa team out of position. Sorry I like Leeds and wouldlike to see them back in the PL someday, but it was cheating at its worst yesterday. And to make it worse, Villa had put the ball out only a few minutes earlier in a far more promising position for an 'injured' leeds player.

It's a sportsmanship tradition, one that Villa had observed twice during the match while attacking, that if a player stays down injured after a few phases of play, that players will expect the ball to be kicked out for attention to the injured player - and it's worth noting that Kodjia had to be helped off the pitch and substituted, so not a case of miracleous recovery - be allowed on.

Taylor's body language suggested that's what he was going to do, he'd slowed up, stood straighter as if stopping and Villa players also backed off, as is the norm. Taylor then sneakily hit it past them - but again I ask what if when Taylor had stood so casually up, if say Hourihane had hit him with a full on, fair tackle would there have been an equal outcry for not showing sportsmanship, despite 'playing the whistle'? I'd have been disgusted by him/anyone if they had

Edit: Also to add, watching it now again on Sky Sports - Leeds were hardly attacking, they were playing it sideways across the pitch in their own half. The attack was only created when all the Villa players stopped and Taylor hit a through ball that no one was expecting

CucaFace wrote: »
    Are you really that blind? The guy made the fake body language he was going to put the ball out, that's why everyone stopped then he decided not to which left most of the villa team out of position. Sorry I like Leeds and wouldlike to see them back in the PL someday, but it was cheating at its worst yesterday. And to make it worse, Villa had put the ball out only a few minutes earlier in a far more promising position for an 'injured' leeds player.

Cheating at its worst? Are you serious?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

ah here now, that first "Fair Tackle" was bloody dangerous, no? Am I on my own on this?

Video is highly subjective...

Extremely subjective, you can't put your hands on a players back, like in the first two "dives", but a ref is not going to give it as a free unless the player goes down, this is well known in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Leeds fan here.

But Villa should not have been allowed to walk in the equaliser. The rule is you play to the whistle. Smith cried like a little girl and begged Bielsa to get one back. Even after they got it Terry still moaned.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeedsUnited/comments/bidfm8/video_appears_to_show_hourihane_punching_klich

So, call the club a disgrace if you like. But I’m so proud to have Bielsa as our manager instead of someone like that cry baby Smith or complete cretin Terry.

The 'disgrace' thing was in the heat of the moment of the game, I don't have anything particularly against Leeds. But you conveniently leave out the point that Roberts clearly stopped and feigned/changed his mind to put the ball out....and then didn't. To go and get a goal from such an action, which I never remember happen in recent memory, was pretty unreal bad sportsmanship.

Can use the 'play to the whistle' thing all you want but Villa put the ball out for a Leeds injury when in possession not long before. If Villa had scored that goal yesterday, the stadium and players would have erupted. They wouldn't have been sat around consoling themselves with 'But oh we should have played to the whistle'

Grealish was fouled loads of times yesterday. It's the easiest thing these days to claim 'diving' just because it's a certain player. They are clear as light of day fouls. I praised Bielsa yesterday for allowing the goal, he did the right thing. But feigning innocence for a lot of the other stuff I definitely don't agree with.

I don't think some people get that it wasn't a usual play to the whistle thing. If Leeds continued playing in a regular way, so would have Villa. But Roberts clearly stops to either put the ball out or stop the game, if you watch it and don't think he does then I don't know what to say. Villa players reacted to this, what should have been a straightfoward motion. Also Kodjia went off injured from the incident, which wasn't a foul by Leeds either by the way, so any 'feigning injury' stuff I've seen is nonsense.

But anyway, it's done with and we move on. Got nothing against Leeds at all and I do regret posting in Leeds thread yesterday in heat of the moment actually, especially replying to just an individual nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Imagine if this game actually mattered...

I actually don't think Grealish is a diver.
    But when there is no pass on he will frequently hold onto the ball until he is fouled, he's so good at ball retention that he rarely loses the ball to a tackle.

Klich was offside for the goal.

JPA wrote: »
    But when there is no pass on he will frequently hold onto the ball until he is fouled, he's so good at ball retention that he rarely loses the ball to a tackle.

He has a way of slowing down bringing the ball in close and then quickly accelerating away that will often draw a foul or allow him to get into space if he isn't taken out.

There was one time in the game I'd say he dived and that was in our half of the pitch when a leeds player was marking him and kinda tugging on him but not enough to give a foul until Grealish fell to the ground.

The other times he either drew the foul or was blatantly taken out.

The one thing I will say is that he needs to stop being so petulant when he gets fouled. TBF it normally only starts after the 3rd or 4th time but he has a tendency to sit there looking at the ref pointing at his shin. I think things like that are part of why rival fans start to get annoyed at him.

Klich was offside for the goal.

I've seen people say it but haven't seen any replays / angles that show him offside.

Corholio wrote: »
    The 'disgrace' thing was in the heat of the moment of the game, I don't have anything particularly against Leeds. But you conveniently leave out the point that Roberts clearly stopped and feigned/changed his mind to put the ball out....and then didn't. To go and get a goal from such an action, which I never remember happen in recent memory, was pretty unreal bad sportsmanship.

Can use the 'play to the whistle' thing all you want but Villa put the ball out for a Leeds injury when in possession not long before. If Villa had scored that goal yesterday, the stadium and players would have erupted. They wouldn't have been sat around consoling themselves with 'But oh we should have played to the whistle'

Grealish was fouled loads of times yesterday. It's the easiest thing these days to claim 'diving' just because it's a certain player. They are clear as light of day fouls. I praised Bielsa yesterday for allowing the goal, he did the right thing. But feigning innocence for a lot of the other stuff I definitely don't agree with.

I don't think some people get that it wasn't a usual play to the whistle thing. If Leeds continued playing in a regular way, so would have Villa. But Roberts clearly stops to either put the ball out or stop the game, if you watch it and don't think he does then I don't know what to say. Villa players reacted to this, what should have been a straightfoward motion. Also Kodjia went off injured from the incident, which wasn't a foul by Leeds either by the way, so any 'feigning injury' stuff I've seen is nonsense.

But anyway, it's done with and we move on. Got nothing against Leeds at all and I do regret posting in Leeds thread yesterday in heat of the moment actually, especially replying to just an individual nonsense.

Fair enough, I’ve nothing against Villa either.

But Villa fans claiming it was “cheating” are incorrect. Roberts stopped for a second, looked at the situation and said, fūck it, I’m playing on. Which he ABSOLUTELY SHOULD HAVE DONE.

On the Grealish thing getting fouled “loads” of times. Can you watch that video linked and point out the “loads” of times. The Cooper tackle which got a yellow card was an immense one, no foul.

But Villa fans claiming it was “cheating” are incorrect. Roberts stopped for a second, looked at the situation and said, fūck it, I’m playing on. Which he ABSOLUTELY SHOULD HAVE DONE.

On the Grealish thing getting fouled “loads” of times. Can you watch that video linked and point out the “loads” of times. The Cooper tackle which got a yellow card was an immense one, no foul.

Just because he got the ball first doesn't make it a fair tackle. It was dangerous play.

Roberts took advantage of the fair play situation. He didn't 'look' at the situation. If a Villa player did that there's not a chance in hell you'd say it's what 'he should have done'. Considering your manager allowed Villa to walk in a goal and Klich apologised to Villa's manager after the game, it seems it's only some fans that are still a bit sore from it.

The Cooper tackle was dangerous, a few years it'd be let go but players know what they can and can't do now. There's plenty of precedent for it definitely to be a foul. Grealish was fouled quite a few times, 6 times in first half alone, nothing anyone will say will make you see different just because it's 'Grealish'

• Advertisement

For those that are that way inclined, flights are 40 quid return from Dub with Ryanair for the expected 2nd leg date (fly over Wed aft, back Thurs morn.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

JPA wrote: »

Grealish is a diver, he takes every opportunity to hit the ground easy. He would annoy the life out of me if he wasnt a Villa player.

Don't get me wrong, he gets more than his fair share of bad tackles and roughing up, but he dives a lot on top of that, and the roughing up covers some of his diving.

I think he uses it as he lacks pace to pull away from players. I don't understand why players put a hand on him, cause they know he will do it, so it's actually they're own fault when they give away soft frees.

Either way, he is top notch and he is at least a champions league player.

Hes a lot more honest than Bamford yesterday, that's for sure. That sort of disgusting feigning of a smack should have him serving a huge ban. A player was sent off, it could have changed the outcome of the game and potentially could have earned the player a suspension if the camera wasnt on the incident. I'd give him 5 games and publicly slaughter him in the press release of his ban as a cheat.

Hopefully Bamford is ban. Leeds are toothless without him and Roofe and they deserve it after yesterday's bad form and Bamfords carry on. They'd be the team I reckon have the best shot of beating us.

2 game ban for bamford https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8961561/leeds-bamford-banned-two-games-aston-villa-el-ghazi/

Although I can't find any other references for it other than that sun article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Jack can be theatrical at times, he reminds me of Ashley Young back in the day, with him slapping the ground in anger after being fouled for the fiftieth time.

He's the most fouled player in the league, he's targeted by teams, he's had a rival fan run on from the pitch and punch him from behind, he's missed chunks of the last few years through injuries. He needs to protect himself, he needs to challenge the referees to offer him more protection when he's not getting it, the standard of referreeing in the championship is very poor.

Since his return the team has won 10 and drew 1 of the 11 games he's played.

He's an outstanding talent, too good for this league, loves our club and we are very lucky to have him.

Someone posted this about Grealish on another forum

Games when fouled 5+ times

Played 16, Goals 1, Assists 2. W7 D4 L5

Games when fouled 4- times

Played 15, Goals 5, Assists 4. W10 D5 L0

matrim wrote: »
    Someone posted this about Grealish on another forum

Games when fouled 5+ times

Played 16, Goals 1, Assists 2. W7 D4 L5

Games when fouled 4- times

Played 15, Goals 5, Assists 4. W10 D5 L0
    Really think there is any meaning to that stat though?

• Advertisement

Jack can be theatrical at times, he reminds me of Ashley Young back in the day, with him slapping the ground in anger after being fouled for the fiftieth time.

He's the most fouled player in the league, he's targeted by teams, he's had a rival fan run on from the pitch and punch him from behind, he's missed chunks of the last few years through injuries. He needs to protect himself, he needs to challenge the referees to offer him more protection when he's not getting it, the standard of referreeing in the championship is very poor.

Since his return the team has won 10 and drew 1 of the 11 games he's played.

He's an outstanding talent, too good for this league, loves our club and we are very lucky to have him.

Difference between Jack and Young for me is that Young dived with no contact, Jack for me 'wins' some fouls and is fouled a lot on top of that. I don't recall too many where he actually dives without contact, he's had some but not many. The harsh truth is if Jack didn't have floppy hair and didn''t come across as confident,he wouldn't have half the reputation he has. Sports opposition fans tend to highly dislike anyone like that, so whether he was a hacker or someone seen to be fouled a lot, they'll get a lot of stick. He gets fouled a lot because he's superb on the ball and retains it like no other player in the division for me.

CSF wrote: »
    Really think there is any meaning to that stat though?

TBH not really as without knowing the games then not really as the poor games could be under Bruce and the good under Smyth. But I still think it's interesting and shows how some teams try to kick him out of the game.

matrim wrote: »
    TBH not really as without knowing the games then not really as the poor games could be under Bruce and the good under Smyth. But I still think it's interesting and shows how some teams try to kick him out of the game.

Yeah that was part of my point really. I didn’t remember a game where they didn’t try kick him out of it.

Leeds fan here.

Grealish fouled 149 times this season and not once has he been done for diving, he’s the best player in the league and you boys couldn’t handle him so hacked the ****e out of him instead.

Best player in the league by a country mile.

For those that are that way inclined, flights are 40 quid return from Dub with Ryanair for the expected 2nd leg date (fly over Wed aft, back Thurs morn.)

Never get tickets though? Good price on flights and I would love to go

• Advertisement

El Ghazi's red card rescinded. Bamford charged by the FA, could get two game ban.

Hourihane bit lucky to escape a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

bamford charged with improper conduct for deception

el ghazi red card is overturned

Sono wrote: »
    Never get tickets though? Good price on flights and I would love to go

I would say you'd have decent chance of tickets, have you a booking history?

What sort of allocation would Villa get for the second leg though? They will be like gold dust. That's not to mention the admittedly remote possibility that Leeds lose to Ipswich and WBA beat Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Panrich wrote: »
    What sort of allocation would Villa get for the second leg though? They will be like gold dust. That's not to mention the admittedly remote possibility that Leeds lose to Ipswich and WBA beat Derby.

The allocation for Albion and Leeds away was about 2700 for the league games. If its the same I imagine you would need to be a season ticket holder with about 6 + away games in your booking history to get a ticket.

If you’re not a season ticket holder nor a very rich person, probably best to ignore the idea of getting tickets to the away game.

sc86 wrote: »
    bamford charged with improper conduct for deception

el ghazi red card is overturned

Both clubs also facing charges of failure to control their players, so probable fines on the way.

Yes I do but not a hope of getting a ticket for this game.

2nd leg is home no?

2nd leg is home no?

Not unless we finish 4th, I think. Normally 3rd vs 6th, and 4th v 5th with higher position home 2nd match.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement