Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ignore everything I said so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Ignore everything I said so.

We normally do anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Can't understand how Hourihane got away with the punch but happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Did he punch before or after Bamford had the rear naked choke on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Esse85 wrote: »
    Did he punch before or after Bamford had the rear naked choke on him?

I think it was after the final whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

kilburn wrote: »
    Can't understand how Hourihane got away with the punch but happy days

Little bit surprised too. It was hard to properly see but yet somewhat that clear he did do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Can Calum O'Hare become involved in the squad again for the playoffs after his loan is finished at Carlisle this weekend?

He could be a very useful sub to have at hand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Tickets on sale for the 1st leg anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

CucaFace wrote: »
    Can Calum O'Hare become involved in the squad again for the playoffs after his loan is finished at Carlisle this weekend?

And don't forget Scott Hogan . . . he could get promoted twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I read on Villatalk that this is not allowed. That seems to be the consensus over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

I reckon hes going to be a top notch player if he get time in the big boys pants instead of the U23s. Hes seriously tenacious player and while hes more attacking, he could probably do a job in the DM role.Hes apparently playing really well at Carlisle.

Him on the bench instead of someone like Landsbury or Thor who are both dead ducks would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Tammy fit for Norwich but won't be risked, McGinn to sit out Norwich game as well. Kodjia, Kalinic and Davis all fit. Hause to have a late test.

Nyland and Chester the only players definitely out, although it sounds Chester may not be too far away if needed.

Best thing would be no suspensions or injuries from Norwich game. Been a while since the squad had so few players out injured.

LeBash wrote: »
    I reckon hes going to be a top notch player if he get time in the big boys pants instead of the U23s. Hes seriously tenacious player and while hes more attacking, he could probably do a job in the DM role.Hes apparently playing really well at Carlisle.

Him on the bench instead of someone like Landsbury or Thor who are both dead ducks would be better.

Seems to have done quite well at Carlisle alright, their fans have liked him a lot it seems. He needed that loan for sure as he looked a little lost in most of his few Villa appearances, even though the talent is definitely there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Who’s making our kit next season?
    Saw some mock ups on a Birmingham paper with adidas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

digzy wrote: »
    Who’s making our kit next season?
    Saw some mock ups on a Birmingham paper with adidas!

Kappa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Mings, McGinn, Grealish, Elmo, El Ghazi all wrapped up in cotton wool and hidden in a secure location (except Elmo and el Ghazi on bench) for safety.

Hutton captain for last game

Great team selection. Kept the right players in and rested the right players. Would have liked to see Davis start too but I guess sticking with the same formation was probably a big thing also.

1-1 Pukki first then Kodjia

Villa played well this half, the players in reserve look up for it.

Not a bad performance after a woeful first 10 mins. Kodjia and Hourihane making cases for their selection next week, Green, Adomah and Hutton less so.

• Advertisement

2-1 Norwich.

Bit unlucky to concede that on balance of play but the way goal was scored is why Whelan definitely starts for me, that area not well protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Corholio wrote: »
    2-1 Norwich.

Bit unlucky to concede that on balance of play but the way goal was scored is why Whelan definitely starts for me, that area not well protected.

I thought Whelan was playing?

Robson-Kanu just got a straight red for a stupid kick out. Know hes not a starter but limits their bench for both games in the play off.

Next Saturday 530 KO for the playoff?

Edit I see it’s 1230.

matrim wrote: »
    I thought Whelan was playing?

Oh he is, didn't phrase that right lol He'll give better protection in a stronger lineup, the goal came from a run right through the field. Hopefully it wouldn't happen with the starting players.

I would play Hourihane in the home leg and then Whelan in the away. I’d like to avoid the whole big game conservative approach in the home leg, particularly because it’s the first.

Go out there, play our football and score some goals. Hourihane’s set piece delivery is obviously a big help there and he’s been improved recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

CSF wrote: »
    I would play Hourihane in the home leg and then Whelan in the away. I’d like to avoid the whole big game conservative approach in the home leg, particularly because it’s the first.

Go out there, play our football and score some goals. Hourihane’s set piece delivery is obviously a big help there and he’s been improved recently.

Ideally we need to be a couple of goals up before we go to the Hawthorns as an aside away goals don't count double in the playoffs.

Hourihane has got some criticism this season but ultimately and we saw it today with his free kick to Kodjia, he is a game changer. I thought we were a bit off today we missed Grealish & McGinn but not worried as Mings, Anwar & Abraham should all start next week.

CSF wrote: »

I'd play Whelan both games. It's a real pity McGinn and Grealish aren't up to Hourihane's standard on dead ball but when Hourihane has been playing further back he hasn't been taking many set pieces, so if that continues we are better having Whelan.

Being linking with Maupay again and apparently weather we go up or not, we'll be bidding. Hes a seriously good striker but doesn't score many away from home. Maybe it's the way Brentford set up away.

Semi final sold out, should be a cracking atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Are we full strength for sat?

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »

Appears so. I’m trying to be confident but I don’t think I’ll be able to be confident at even 3 nil up after watching these last 2 nights!!!

sc86 wrote: »

I think we're as close as we've been to full strength for months. Even Chester is back up for selection (although probably not fully match fit).

I would expect to see something like

Steer
    Elmo-Tunz-Mings-Taylor
    Whelan
    Mcginn-Grealish
    Adomah-Abraham-El Ghazi

Full squad to choose from except Nyland. Don't remember any time in last 2-3 years that it's been like that. Will be good to have options off the bench, ties like this could turn on subs. Villa also apparently had the most goals scored by subs in the Championship this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Night before vibes

A few journos saying West Brom might have a few injuries in the squad. I personally feel more confident than play offs last year, but still likely to be as close as then. No real stand out team like Fulham last year. More confident playing teams away from home too, night and day to last season in that regard.

listermint wrote: »
    Night before vibes

Wife is away tmw and I’m minding our 14 month old, plan is tire her out early tmw morning in a playground and get her napping from 1230-230...wishful thinking!!

Come on Villa let’s do this.

I think we're as close as we've been to full strength for months. Even Chester is back up for selection (although probably not fully match fit).

I would expect to see something like

Steer
    Elmo-Tunz-Mings-Taylor
    Whelan
    Mcginn-Grealish
    Adomah-Abraham-El Ghazi

I think that’s probably going to be the team alright.

Think Hourihane might get the nod today if for no other reason than I don’t think Whelan does 2 games in 4 days very well.

• Advertisement

Strong team, strong bench, no excuses

I'm happy with that, strength on the bench too.

I'm far too confident.

Checking West Brom fans on Twitter, a bit uneasy about their 3 at back selection, also their bench

You’d expect Tammy to be targeted with his shoulder in any aerial battles, hopefully he gets the better of them and bags a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hope the Villa win and get back to the Premier league too. Too big of a side and the fans are some of the better ones too.
    Fancy a 3-1 win for you today, Abraham I fancy will be a nightmare for West Brom's defense.

• Advertisement

****. Whelan gifted that to gayle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That was awful, what was Whelan at?

Dreadful start, talk about giving them the lead :(

Terrible mistake. Didn't he do the same against them earlier in the season?

Still lot of time left though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement