Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    That was awful, what was Whelan at?

A mistake.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Am I correct in saying away goals do not count as double?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

We look nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are. It used to be that they counted after extra time in the second leg but not anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Adomah has offered little, seems to be lurking in the box more than staying out on the wing.

Tammy doesn't look fit/sharp at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Villa unrecognisable from the team we've seen this last 2/3 months. So poor, even Grealish. Adomah off at HT would be my change for Green or Kodjia. Get the logic of why he was picked but he has not performed at all.

Very sluggish stuff. Hopefully keep things tight and have a better second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

We're playing poorly. Too slow. Possibly need Hourihane in for Whelan at HT. Will help with our set pieces too.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Villa unrecognisable from the team we've seen this last 2/3 months. So poor, even Grealish. Adomah off at HT would be my change for Green or Kodjia. Get the logic of why he was picked but he has not performed at all.

West Brom tactics have been spot on and villa have just played into their hands. Need Hourihane on at half time cause it looks like the only way of getting back into this is a cross from wide or set piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

West Brom have defended well. If Whelans mistake doesn't happen, it's a typical tight play off game. Grealish looks a bit off the pace so far. Villa trying too many very tight passes that have only a small chance of coming off. El Ghazi been best attacking player so far.

Still plenty of chances to be had though, just a bit more care with passes needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Would get Hourihane on as well.

Smith needs to send a rocket up their holes, we need Conor on, and either Kodjia or Green for Albert.
    Seems to be a real lack of confidence and off the ball movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

An appalling mistake from Whelan it must be said!

West Brom look set to spring out when we lose it. Grealish needs to try and move the ball a little quicker also.

I think it's a set piece or a mistake is our best route to goal. They won't come out of their shell at any stage today.

fullstop wrote: »
    West Brom tactics have been spot on and villa have just played into their hands. Need Hourihane on at half time cause it looks like the only way of getting back into this is a cross from wide or set piece.
    They've been ok. Think the lads have mostly created their own problems though. No composure and have played into the hands of the sort of team who wanna sit back, be deep and be dangerous on the counter and set pieces. Alot of bad individual performances but the great thing about a 2 legged game with no away goals is there is another 135 minutes to play football a different way.

Well I think Villa have been the better team just that in the final third they haven't managed anything.
    It's a mixture of Villa not creating enough and also West Brom living on their luck back there. There have been four or five times where shanked or bundled attempts at clearing has bounced around and ended up with their own players finally clearing it.

Best player on the pitch for me has been McGinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Hopefully is the usual second half better performance happens.

Dawson off is a blow for them, can hopefully take advantage of it.

Hourihane and/or Green on I would say pretty soon if there's no change.

• Advertisement

Set pieces have been poor.

Bring on the bloody subs Dean.

I think you need to have even more control in midfield and another man up top. Bring on Hourihane and Kodjia and take off Adomah and El Ghazi. That should give more space for Grealish too I think.

Early concession destroyed the game. They’ve been able to pack the defence, time waste and hit us on the break.

Get in !!!!!

Great goal and well deserved.

• Advertisement

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

What a finish.

Hourihane...legend!

Magical strike.

Let's win this now.

Some hit!

That changes a lot, even if it finishes a draw.

• Advertisement

Should have been yellowed

Where was the 2nd yellow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Was not confident when Abraham stepped up

They really are the comeback Kings this season.

Yes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Good beans folks. Good beans.

Hold firm now and do a West Brom for the last while. Them having to score in the other tie should leave a lot more space for Villa in 2nd leg than there was today.

I thought it was a pen in real time for them too, but having watched replays I think there was f*ckall contact in that, am I horrifically biased?

Gayle sent off. Big boost for Villa in second leg.

Hopefully El Ghazi and Mings are both fine. Both down receiving attention.

I thought it was a pen in real time for them too, but having watched replays I think there was f*ckall contact in that, am I horrifically biased?

Think we got lucky. Most of the time that's a peno.

Gayle out is good for next game

• Advertisement

I think Gayle was very unlucky to get that second yellow, if it was a Villa player I'd be very disappointed but I'll take it.
    Thanks ref.

7 minutes injury time. Might be a few chances left against 10 men.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I think Gayle was very unlucky to get that second yellow, if it was a Villa player I'd be very disappointed but I'll take it.
    Thanks ref.

You could also argue that the body check on Grealish earlier was a yellow too if he hadn't just got one for time wasting

Esse85 wrote: »
    Thanks ref.

He took his legs out, clumsy more than anything but it didn't look like a proper challenge for the ball.

Good news that's he's out next leg, he caused big problems but was so hyped up it ended up with the red.

Have slated Conor Hourihane on many an occasion, but he was one hundred percent the difference maker out there tonight. Heroic stuff. An uncharacteristically poor team performance but in the end it is a 1 goal lead to take away to the 2nd leg.

The subs made a big difference. Decent result. They’re down their best player and will have to come out and play on Tuesday. UTV.

If you slid in on a player in middle of the field who had just got the ball, you'd probably be booked. Players know tackling a keeper is even more harshly punished.

Grealish upped his level in that half and was superb, even besides the assist and penalty. Held ball and found some great passes.

I had no confidence in Tammy for the pen, but he took it very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

That'll do, especially after that start.

A lead to defend, they'll have to play and not swamp box again, and their 2 best strikers suspended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Great result considering the gift we gave them, not really sure how Jack got MOTM I thought he had a very quiet day.

Onto Tuesday....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement