Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Will be interesting to see team selection for the 2nd leg. Fully expect to see Hourihane start after a great sub performance, although I will say Whelan's mistake shouldn't decide his contribution. He'll still have a part to play in the tie I'm very sure.

Adomah was anonymous, so either Green or Kodj. Green hasn't done that well in too many starts he has made, most of his best appearances has been from the bench. He'd probably have more energy than Kodjia defending but Kodj has played well enough when used lately. It's going to be a tight game at the Hawthorns so having good subs could be just as key again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

How can you support that diving bullsh*t?

When Alioski goes down like a 20 euro brazzer, at least we pull him up on his ****housery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

When Alioski goes down like a 20 euro brazzer, at least we pull him up on his ****housery

Sorry what?

You have a big match coming up, I'd say concentrate on that.

Corholio wrote: »
    You have a big match coming up, I'd say concentrate on that.

Big for them, aye. Just another run of the mill, 0-2 win for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Sono wrote: »
    Great result considering the gift we gave them, not really sure how Jack got MOTM I thought he had a very quiet day.

Onto Tuesday....

He was quiet but still won the peno, setup Hourihane and was involved in our best chances. There was also a West Brom break after about 20 minutes where he tracked Gayle the whole way and prevented them having a one on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What are you talking about specifically? You’re questioning the peno? A general statement? Nonsensical ramblings? All of the above?

Big for them, aye. Just another run of the mill, 0-2 win for us

Always handy to quote a post when predicting cockily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Derby to smash leeds..karma...enough said! UTV!

A Leeds fan coming on giving it the big one, 16 years and counting! Derby will take them imo.

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't care anymore about Leeds than any other team in this playoff. They seem determined to create some kind of rivalry but leave them at it. The lad played the occasion today a bit more than the game and if that 'rivalry' is allowed to intensify any potential final could become much more of an occasion than it already is, which isn't in our interests with some of the attacking players we have available.

GHOST MGG wrote: »

Karma for what exactly?

They cried like bitches when we broke no law

You cried like babies wanting a goal back. Embarrassing.

matrim wrote: »
    He was quiet but still won the peno, setup Hourihane and was involved in our best chances. There was also a West Brom break after about 20 minutes where he tracked Gayle the whole way and prevented them having a one on one.
    Absolutely, he was only below-par relative to his own high standards.

Karma for what exactly?

Your trolling is embarrassing, jog on buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Karma for what exactly?

Are you 15 or something none of your comments make sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Karma for what exactly?

Mate I'm a leeds fan too , keep your predictions and stop embarrassing us in a villa forum .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Mate I'm a leeds fan too , keep your predictions and stop embarrassing us in a villa forum .

Agreed, cringing as a Leeds fan reading that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

no way steve bruce would have made them substitutions at that time
    great win and sets us up great for second leg , but not through by any stretch

Derby are ****e, mind you Leeds aren’t much better.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see that go to pens in Elland Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

That turned on its head very quickly we were average in the first half but Albion did the same as the league match got ahead and tried to defend it.

The problem was for most of the game they were good at it and we struggled to break them down Steer had nothing to do. But thanks to Conor Hourihane we are in a strong position now and Albion's mentality for Tuesday now changes.

• Advertisement

Leeds are a decent side, make no mistake about it. Nothing to be feared either, but they will not be an easy game at all.

CSF wrote: »
    Leeds are a decent side, make no mistake about it. Nothing to be feared either, but they will not be an easy game at all.

A one off game generally is difficult but I feel we have more than enough quality to beat them should we get through.

Sono wrote: »
    A one off game generally is difficult but I feel we have more than enough quality to beat them should we get through.
    Agreed. They'll unquestionably feel the same way though. No easy games in a Championship playoff final. Any team so good that they would be a clear favourite in one, would already be in the Premier League automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Both ties are far from over, both champions league semi finals earlier in the week are proof of that.

Villa and Leeds both have the advantage after the first game but neither team can get complacent or they'll be out
    on their ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

pavb2 wrote: »
    That turned on its head very quickly we were average in the first half but Albion did the same as the league match got ahead and tried to defend it.

The problem was for most of the game they were good at it and we struggled to break them down Steer had nothing to do. But thanks to Conor Hourihane we are in a strong position now and Albion's mentality for Tuesday now changes.

Steer made one of the best saves of the season.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Steer made one of the best saves of the season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-w-brom/407076

Yes just watched that back great reaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pavb2 wrote: »
    https://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-w-brom/407076

Yes just watched that back great reaction

Jaysus Villa were very lucky.

Leeds fan here, hadn't seen those highlights til now.

Although there was contact, Grealish dived. Though what's new there.

Holgate was denied a stonewall penalty.

Gayle did not deserve to get sent off for genuinely going for the ball.

Hourihane should be suspended for punching Klich in the game at Elland road.

Hard to deny Villa are definitely riding their luck so far.

Looking forward to the home leg for WBA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

quarryman wrote: »

Leeds were rubbish today. And you call villa lucky.

Stop trying to make this battle 'a thing' because it's not.

listermint wrote: »
    Leeds were rubbish today. And you call villa lucky.

Stop trying to make this battle 'a thing' because it's not.

Are you going to discuss the points I raised?

We did well. A bit disappointed we didn't win by 2, but away from home - i'll take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are you going to discuss the points I raised.

We did well. A bit disappointed we didn't win by 2, but away from home - i'll take it.

Why bother.

You have form .

Your opinion is mute tbh.

Jaysus man, that is an exceptional level of caring about Aston Villa. What is driving this interest?

No one disagreeing with me would seem to indicate I've struck a nerve!

Don't want to ruin your Super-thread so I'll leave. Good luck in the 2nd leg guys.

Don't want to ruin your Super-thread so I'll leave. Good luck in the 2nd leg guys.

I disagree with you. I just dont feel the need to have an in depth one about every random uttering that I disagree with.

I don’t think you’re likely to find the hostility in here that you were hoping for. We aren’t rivals.

Nothing about Cooper diving in the Derby game?

The only nerve is yours thinking we care any extra. Of course I disgaree, but why bother feeding you?

CSF wrote: »
    I disagree with you. I just dont feel the need to have an in depth one about every random uttering that I disagree with.

I don’t think you’re likely to find the hostility in here that you were hoping for. We aren’t rivals.

Indeed, I quite like Leeds good old traditional club, too long out of the PL, passionate fan base like ourselves and Bielsa's done a great job. Was with some Leeds fans on the journey to Elland Rd two weeks ago who fly in from Belfast for all their home games, sound lads but to be fair and there are exceptions in my experience most football fans get along.

Leeds really should have got automatic promotion been up there all season and given the choice I'd rather face Derby if we get to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Chuffed with the comeback today.

Thought we were pretty poor on the wings until Grealish started moving left and right. Tammy wasnt great either.

McGinn looked seriously quiet by his standards. He just didn't seem to get as much into the game and on the ball as he has done most of the season.

Unbelievable that Johanson came off without a booking as well. He left 1 on Whelan, Tammy, Hourihane and 3 on Grealish. Anyone of them could have been a yellow and with the amount of fouls he was seriously lucky. Gale was stirring it all game and was probably lucky to get away with the body check, so the tackle on Steer was probably worth a red all things considered. Gibbs was very lucky to be on the park as well. He had a 10 min spell where he could have got cards for 4 different challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Teams are really prepared and planning to negate us now. Against Bolton, West Brom today and to a lesser extent Leeds recently, teams are playing deep to negate the effect Grealish and McGinn have in those number 8 positions.

It's been effective to be fair. We've had success in second half today and against Bolton when we moved the ball much quicker.

Hourihane looked much better than Whelan again today. I just think he suits us when teams are playing deeper. He has a pass and is always a threat on the edge of the box and set pieces. He isn't as strong in the tackle however.

West Brom really zoned in on Whelan. Gayle was trying to spring off him all first half. It was reasonably effective. Against Norwich, Jamal Lewis cut in and strode past him to help set up the winner. I just fell his lack of mobility is being targeted now.

I feel West Broms best chance is set pieces. They have three big centre backs and Steer can be dodgy under crosses at times.

If they come out and play I feel we could pick them off early but I think they will try to keep it tight for 60-70 mins and play for set plays. Gayle is a huge loss and also his long throws will be a loss to them.

Fingers crossed we'll get the job done.

rebelomar wrote: »
    I feel West Broms best chance is set pieces. They have three big centre backs and Steer can be dodgy under crosses at times.

I can see Jedinak getting some minutes next week. I doubt he'll start the game but if it's close coming into the last 15 minutes he'll be put on for his physical presence in midfield and his height at set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

West Brom will need to show some attacking intent the next day. Will Smith start Whelan and Adomah again as they give us more defensively than Hourihane and Green?
    Personally I’d start Hourihane as we don’t want to sit back and hand them the initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I think I'd have Kodjia in instead of Adomah, just a pure hunch, but figure his goal threat would keep West Brom defence more honest, and on guard for him than Adomah who can go anonymous.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    I think I'd have Kodjia in instead of Adomah, just a pure hunch, but figure his goal threat would keep West Brom defence more honest, and on guard for him than Adomah who can go anonymous.

I agree Adomah seems to have lost some pace and ability to beat the man likewise Green plays some nice touches but doesn't do it consistently. The only problem with Kodjia is he's less likely to help out in defence.

At least for this match we can play our own game, Albion have to decide a game plan, whether to sit back for 70 minutes as Rebelomar says or come at us and try and get an early goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don’t think sitting back in this case is any use, it’s very hard to switch to attack after, particularly the later the equalizer.

One goal for WB and they are level, I think we should approach with no fear, if we go in hoping to defend for 90+ mins we will be on the back foot from the off, they will have a full Hawthorns behind them as well. If we can score that first that will shut them up and give their players an excuse to give up.

I think that mistake from Whelan yesterday made the game something different than what even West Brom thought it would be, they came for the draw no doubt. Rodriguez dropping right into midfield at all times when Villa had the ball. That made it a tough one to break through, so I wouldn't be too harsh on Whelan's contribution, except the mistake of course, it just became a game where he wouldn't have been needed as much, and thats where the Hourihane sub came in. It'll be interesting to see which starts on Tuesday as it's more of a Whelan game imo than the home leg. There is reasons for both and hard to argue if either does imo, Hourihanes contribution probably deserves a start too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Who do you drop for Horihane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I'll be controversial and say McGinn. He was 100% pure energy yesterday, and won the ball back a lot but also ran in to lots of dead ends and provided little end product.

Hourihane in for his set pieces in what will be a tight game, with McGinn dying to get off the bench being an instant impact sub if needs be.

Whelan. I don’t want to see us sit, I want to see Villa go for it. Good attacking teams becoming more conservative on a one goal lead is not a high percentage play. Best way to knock these guys out is to play them off the park again. Even if they score first, they’re not ahead.

Wouldn’t drop McGinn in a million years.

Dropping McGinn would be madness imo. He didn't have his most productive game yesterday but he was still picking off quick passes to the wing and getting the game going, while harrowing West Broms midfield. The team's ball retention would go way down with him not in the team either. He's a big reason why Villa now have considerably more possession in games now between being brilliant at keeping the ball to closing down players with energy.

I don't necessarily think picking Whelan means the team is going to sit back and defend, it's better protection there. Whelan was a big part of the winning run and we certainly didn't sit back in any of the away games he played. I wouldn't argue with either playing for various reasons, but playing Hourihane as DM doesn't mean the team will be attacking all the time, he'll still be DM. Won't argue a bit if Hourihane starts though, his sub appearance probably deserves it.

I'd just reverse what we did yesterday Hourihane for 70 and then Whelan for last 20. Whelan's got the ability to tighten things up if we need to but also to drive us on as Hourihane did yesterday if we need to find a goal.

I think El Ghazi will be a key player on Tuesday, played very well yesterday and gave Holgate a rough time. Yes, he's a bit frustrating sometimes but he's been getting better as the season went on and his blinding runs yesterday is something that should have more space to occupy in the 2nd leg. The teams best winger certainly.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think El Ghazi will be a key player on Tuesday, played very well yesterday and gave Holgate a rough time. Yes, he's a bit frustrating sometimes but he's been getting better as the season went on and his blinding runs yesterday is something that should have more space to occupy in the 2nd leg. The teams best winger certainly.

Was reading an article earlier saying that El Ghazi is doing Ramadan so is suffering a bit from tiredness. I wonder if starting 2 game in 4 days will be too much for him and we might see him starting on the bench.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement