Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

eagle eye wrote: »
    Off to Wembley for the Villa, hope you win it.
    That Adomah lad has to get dropped, no good and then worst penalty on the night just to really show how bad he is.

100%

A casual donkey with no legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Esse85 wrote: »
    Nothing to celebrate, we've been incredibly lucky in the end.

Two very average performances in the two legs.

Hard luck to West Brom.

Ah come on, through to the final. That's what matters. We didn't play great but playing against an ultra defensive team in both legs for different reasons isn't easy.

Hard luck to West Brom.

We are going to Wembley.

We were there last year and didn't get the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Thank Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Very surprised that Kodjia didn't step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jesus wept give it a rest for one night will ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

We need to shake that performance out of our heads and get ready for the final.

remoteboy wrote: »
    We need to shake that performance out of our heads and get ready for the final.

We'll easily do Derby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

We were poor but the better team over the two legs

Need to keep the head in the final. We are acting like we made it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

It's better than the alternative. Not being there. We've a chance on the big stage to do it, better than sitting at home looking a flights to Barnsley and Brentford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Me ****in heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

we were crap , was full sure we would lose the shot out , thank god!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Whoop!

how is adomah playing at this level ? hes terrible

Patser wrote: »

It's better than the alternative. Not being there. We've a chance on the big stage to do it, better than sitting at home looking a flights to Barnsley and Brentford

I fully agree but being a Villa fan we never do it the easy way.
    We've a huge match in the final to come.

With the playoff defeat last year, the fa Cup final defeat to Arsenal, league Cup loss to Man United, FA Cup loss to Chelsea, its difficult to be optimistic based on previous experience.
    We've achieved nothing yet.

• Advertisement

Hard luck to West Brom.

get the boat will ya :eek::D

Thought West Broms takers were very strange Hegazi, Gibbs, Holgate and Aderabayo, all naturally defenders.

Hopefully there's a lot to learn from tonight. Hope we have got over the 'Hourihane only takes good set pieces' thing as well. Almost every one was awful tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

As bad of a performance from us I can remember for quite some time but it doesn’t matter, Steer saved us literally and we are in the final and that’s all that matters, Baggies are a bloody poxy side to play against and made it very hard for us.

Get in lads, now let’s finish the job off on the 27th.

With the playoff defeat last year, the fa Cup final defeat to Arsenal, league Cup loss to Man United, FA Cup loss to Chelsea, its difficult to be optimistic based on previous experience.

We're in the final and were not playing any of the Top EPL sides you mentioned.

Chill out with the negativity

Hard luck to West Brom.

Eh we are in the playoff final without playing well so there is a lot to be happy about, and we just won a penalty shootout with our keeper saving 2.

Why you so negative?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We handed it to West Brom on a plate tonight and they blew their beans. We've achieved sweet fùck all you are correct but you have to enjoy these nights because in two weeks time it could seem a long long way away.

I think we all know there's a lot to do yet, either team to play will be tough, especially Leeds.

Hopefully Adomah's end has come as well, has lost all unpredictability about his play for a good while now and offers very, very little now.

A couple of points tonight.

Taylor should not be starting for us he is our worst starter and offers nothing.

Green was anonymous and should have been subbed for Kodjia at half time.

Adomah is finished for us, a very poor player.

Smith didn’t change it tactically when we were getting mauled with the short kick outs and it was so frustrating.

Smith and co have a lot to learn from tonight that’s for sure but they have 10 days or so to get it right.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Flights are less than 50 beans atm.

Incorrect...

This playoff final will be more one sided than gang rape

Has Grealish left Kalvin Phillips pocket yet?

he will have to leave it when hes going out to play in wembley and kalvin has to watch it in the stands or at home

listermint wrote: »

We're in the final and were not playing any of the Top EPL sides you mentioned.

Chill out with the negativity

No but we could be playing the 3rd best side in the league.

I'm remaining calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

What's best airport to fly into for Wembley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

MOT

Heathrow. Flight with Aer Lingus every hour or so. Tube into central London and switch back out to Wembley.

Leave yourself plenty of time though. Last year there was a delay on the train which led to me bailing at a random station and jumping in a taxi with about 30 mins to kick off. Driver said "I was just out there too me about 2 hours to get there." Nearly shát myself. Lucky traffic had cleared and a full on sprint up Wembley Way meant I just made it with about 5 mins in. (Left hotel at Heathrow with about 2.5 hours to KO, got unlucky with shuttles and trains etc. though.

• Advertisement

No but we could be playing the 3rd best side in the league.

I'm remaining calm.

I think we are all calm in fairness, no one is saying we are going to win etc. We could win, we could lose but getting there is definitely a big positive to be celebrate, in a tempered way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Panrich wrote: »
    Moronic Online Teenager?
    Lets not get ourselves carded or banned over this lad. The mods will do their job I assume

Don't know for Wembley but i normally prefer Gatwick

Straight into the train and and easy change for most other places

Corholio wrote: »
    I think we are all calm in fairness, no one is saying we are going to win etc. We could win, we could lose but getting there is definitely a big positive to be celebrate, in a tempered way.

Look at it this way. Now we are saying we need a huge improvement for next week.

If we last we would be saying we need a huge improvement for next season.

Take each game as it comes. There is nothing to fear from Derby or Leeds, we won 10 games in a row in the league to get here. They will be shítting themselves.

matrim wrote: »
    Don't know for Wembley but i normally prefer Gatwick

Straight into the train and and easy change for most other places

I am open to correction on the above. I believe Heathrow is physically closest but for all you will need to change trains at least once if using that method.

Really any London airport is probably fine. Though Southend and Luton are fúcking disasters. Just leave plenty of time to get there and home. Its bank holiday for the Brits as well.

I think Steer deserves a big mention after that game. Little did he think when he was on loan in League 1 that he'd be playing in the Championship Play Off Final after being the hero.

I think Steer deserves a big mention after that game. Little did he think when he was on loan in League 1 that he'd be playing in the Championship Play Off Final after being the hero.

He did majorly fûck up as well though. If not for Mings....

He sure does!!1 The absolute legend completely cancelled out some seriously dodgy moments in the game. What a man!!

That pass straight to one of their player was crazy. He was great for the penos and solid for most of the game but he's not premier league quality

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    That pass straight to one of their player was crazy. He was great for the penos and solid for most of the game but he's not premier league quality

Oh he absolutely messed up definitely. Hard to think of who in the back four didn't mess up though, it was a bizarre series of incidents. Tuanzebe poor for the goal and looked unusually nervous sometimes, Mings and Steer passing straight to West Brom players etc.

As long as he's good enough for a Play Off Final that's all I care about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Looks like nerves kicked in second half. Steer and Jedi who was so calm in scoring the 2nd peno with I believe his first touch of the game won it for me.

Think we shaded it over the two legs but to have all that pressure especially against 10 men and no cutting edge is the big weakness. Having said that they are the best defensive outfit we've played against all season they kept Grealish's threat to a minimum.

Ultimately we need to sit back, exhale deeply and enjoy the achievment that looked so unlikely in January.

I think the 12 day break will do good for a few players as well that looked a bit off the boil, Tammy and Jack etc. Although Jack had Johansen practically man marking him for 2 games, taking him out numerous times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

rebelomar wrote: »
    Teams are really prepared and planning to negate us now. Against Bolton, West Brom today and to a lesser extent Leeds recently, teams are playing deep to negate the effect Grealish and McGinn have in those number 8 positions.

I think we saw this again tonight. The template is there now how to handle our two number 8s. I think it's very worrying going into the final.

I'm probably repeating myself but both Grealish and McGinn have to start mixing up their game a little and playing the ball quicker. McGinn tried to roll Hegazi again all night and had very little joy against the physically stronger man. Grealish took too many touches too often really. They never learned or adapted.

I really admire Smith and feel he's in the same school of thought as Klopp and Pep, where it's Plan A and nothing else...Keep believing and it will eventually pay off. I feel however we have to have something different up our sleeve for the final for the reasons outlined above. Be that team selection or a slight tactical adjustment.

I was disappointed in Green tonight. He looked a bit overawed by the occasion. He will learn and improve hopefully. Adomah got in better positions but his execution was poor.

Taylor at left back was really really poor in the final third. How many times was it set up to just fizz it across the box low and hard and he got his delivery wrong every single time. There's was so many defenders in there that the chance is high for an OG even.

I felt sorry for Tammy...he's a good 6 yard box striker really and we didn't create a sniff of a chance for him. His hold up play can be good but it's nowhere near consistent enough yet. He was outmuscled tonight again but was playing off scraps.

Our set pieces need work...a lot of work. I agree with other posters in that if Hourihane is on the pitch he gets first call on them. Tammy taking that free kick is BS to be honest. Conor needs to be stronger and say it's his ball...end of!

I'd prefer to play Derby. I feel we have their measure. Leeds are a far better side and from watching the last game with one eye on the playoffs I am very nervous about playing them. But no doubt we will give it our all!

It has to be said Dean Smith has done a great job....even the criticism above of our performance shows how far we come and improved in our approach and playing style. Under Bruce I never really enjoyed watching us play. Under Smith hopefully we have a much higher ceiling as a team/club. Up the Villa!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

C'mon Derby.

Good post match interview from Smith, annoyed we lost the game and there is a lot to learn from it.

Set pieces need to be worked on massively in training as they really were shambolic last night but I am sure he will realise this and work hard fixing it.

Everyone on my dart singing sweet Caroline!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Sono wrote: »
    Good post match interview from Smith, annoyed we lost the game and there is a lot to learn from it.

Set pieces need to be worked on massively in training as they really were shambolic last night but I am sure he will realise this and work hard fixing it.

Everyone on my dart singing sweet Caroline!!!

Th set pieces didn't work but it was clearly called by the coaching staff. No balls into the box, play it out wide and pull 3 players out of the box. In theory they were much taller and more physical team but surely someone with the dead ball talent of Hourihane would still create a few good opportunities.

We got nothing 2 games from set pieces in a team that scored 23 from set pieces all season. Exactly, 1 every 2 games. You'd imagine that would have been higher if Hourihane played every game or even more games.

I thought West Brom were brilliant last night more than us being poor or unable to create chances.

The defensive shape was really top notch. As we approached the box, they pushed up to the edge of the box, 5 defenders closed into the centre and the 2 wingers came in. We couldn't play a through ball and the crosses were going to be snuffed out by that many defenders against 1 striker.

Really 2 Grelaish moments got us to the pens last night. The pass to Hourihane was perfect and the penalty was well won.

Was reading this morning that Eddie Howe is going to sit down and chat with Mings about his future and it looks like he is going to be sold. He looks like he is enjoying being the centre of attention at Villa, so let's hope he signs on.

I mean on the plus side, a game against Leeds would be a completely different kind of game to the ones we saw against West Brom. They’re not the kind of side to set up primarily to frustrate Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Just back from the game,absolute scenes! best night in years..vtid! bring on leeds/derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Great to get through but really there are worrying parts to this team going into the final.

Our wingers and full backs really offer very little. Especially Taylor, Green and Adomah.

But for me the worst part of all this is Tommy Abraham. He is like a tall skinny 14 year old boy playing senior football getting pushed all over the shop. His touch is crap as well.

People are saying that teams have found out how to stop us, but this is all down the fact we have nobody up to top to hold the ball up and bring our midfielders into the game higher up the pitch.

How Abraham wasn't taken off last night is beyond me after 50 mins, he was shockingly bad and I would be very annoyed if I was Davis or Kodja.

Whoever pays big money for Abraham in the PL will be making a big mistake, he is a very limited player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Looked like a great atmosphere at the Hawthorns last night.

It would have been gut wrenching if Villa did not get through. TBH between the two teams they were the only one that played football and tried to win it over both legs.

While is was a great save Tammy really should have scored. 6 yards out any striker should have the composure to put that away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement