Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I would drop Tammy for the final. Probably harsh considering he is our top scorer, but we need someone to get stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would drop Tammy for the final. Probably harsh considering he is our top scorer, but we need someone to get stuck in.

This will be a very different game though, against Leeds. It’ll be more open, there will be more space, they won’t be packing the area around the box with 2 banks of 4.

Think it would be harsh to drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CucaFace wrote: »
    Great to get through but really there are worrying parts to this team going into the final.

Our wingers and full backs really offer very little. Especially Taylor, Green and Adomah.

But for me the worst part of all this is Tommy Abraham. He is like a tall skinny 14 year old boy playing senior football getting pushed all over the shop. His touch is crap as well.

People are saying that teams have found out how to stop us, but this is all down the fact we have nobody up to top to hold the ball up and bring our midfielders into the game higher up the pitch.

How Abraham wasn't taken off last night is beyond me after 50 mins, he was shockingly bad and I would be very annoyed if I was Davis or Kodja.

Whoever pays big money for Abraham in the PL will be making a big mistake, he is a very limited player.

I thought Tammy was poor last night as well.
    Talk of 25 million for him if we go up, he's a very limited player which sounds a bit ridiculous with 26 goals but if it's not on a plate he's not doing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I agree Tammy has looked poor in recent weeks. He does struggle against organised defences and teams that set up to contain Villa. I'm not sure Kodjia is an ideal replacement though, as good as some sub appearances have been. Like Green, he has looked better coming on than starting. Although it was hard work, it must be a compliment that West Brom, a team only came down last year, set up to defend against Villa in both legs, dropping 5 into midfield at every opportunity. I don't think the team, in personnel terms is near where Smith would have wanted yet so be in the final is an acheivement. The likes of Elmo, Taylor, Adomah, Kodjia, even Hourihane, are not who he would have involved if he had to choose imo.

Hopefully the team can get rested, prepared and be up for the final. Villa were terrible in last years final and were no threat to Fulham. No matter who Villa play, I don't see it being like the semi finals, having to get through 2 banks of four for practically an entire 2 legs + extra time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I got a ticket last year no problem despite only being to one game. I'm in the same boat this year but I have a feeling it won't be as easy.

I think I’d start with the same team that started at home to West Brom. Maybe Hause ahead of Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Tammy was shocking last night, he seems lost if up against a physical defender.
    He won hardly any aerial battles last night.
    His penalty was very lucky.

But talk of dropping him for the final is madness. He's clearly carrying an injury and not fully fit, he's 10 days to rest up and get ready.

I think I'd rather Whelan starts in the final, Jack was dropping too deep to collect the ball, we need him higher up the pitch and to worry less about running backwards.

Esse85 wrote: »

But talk of dropping him for the final is madness. He's clearly carrying an injury and not fully fit, he's 10 days to rest up and get ready.

I think I'd rather Whelan starts in the final, Jack was dropping too deep to collect the ball, we need him higher up the pitch and to worry less about running backwards.

Yup Whelan back in for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think he’s not 100% and is protecting his shoulder. Not ideal when his game is built around putting his body in where it hurts to get goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

CSF wrote: »
    Yup Whelan back in for the final.

Would you drop Hourihane? Seems a shame.

Sometimes I felt last night it was a little unbalanced with McGinn and Hourihane as two left footed players.

• Advertisement

Would you drop Hourihane? Seems a shame.

Sometimes I felt last night it was a little unbalanced with McGinn and Hourihane as two left footed players.

I dunno if it even counts as dropping between Whelan and Hourihane anymore. Neither one has a place to keep or lose in the team. The one who is more suitable for each particular game usually plays.

I’m assuming Leeds will be the opponents and they’ll offer a different proposition going forward than West Brom did.

Tammy seemed quite subdued emotionally last night and I think he definitely wasn't 100%. Even when he is having an average game he visually puts in huge effort and is talking a lot to the midfield, he didn't seem that way last night. Hopefully the break to the final can get everyone recharged, physically and mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

id have my doubts about tammy at prem level , weather with us or elsewhere

CSF wrote: »
    I dunno if it even counts as dropping between Whelan and Hourihane anymore. Neither one has a place to keep or lose in the team. The one who is more suitable for each particular game usually plays.

That's fair comment. Horses for courses and all that.

It was fair enough leaving out Whelan last night to take the game to West Brom as West Brom, while they had their chances were very limited the first day and again last night even with Villa trying their best to help them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

You can't argue with Tammy's record the problem is he hasn't been getting the service the last few games which is as much to do with the poor performances of Adomah and Green as anything else.

I know it's all pig iron now but AVTV commentary call the throw for their goal a foul throw.

He was poor last night but it would take a very very brave manager to drop your 25+ goal a season striker for a cup final. Ain't going to happen unless not fully fit. There is no one better to bring on instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I'd agree with all that and I dont understand the criticism of the full backs. They've been brilliant in the last 12-15 games. Taylor and Elmo are the 2 most improved players under Smith by a long shot.

Hourihane is nowhere near as effective on the pitch if he is playing deep and isn't taking the set pieces. It's weird seeing it when you see the end result of Grealish, El Ghazi and Tammy taking them and you could probably put a 10 min video together with just assists/goals from hourihane set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

I know it's all pig iron now but AVTV commentary call the throw for their goal a foul throw.

ref gave us very little and really they could have had alot more bookings etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Dropping Tammy for the final is a ridiculous call, he’s a brilliant finisher, you don’t get 26 goals and go off the boil for a bit and then you’re ****, he defo wasn’t fully fit last night.

12 days to get it right and hopefully he is ok, he has to start the final if fit.

Whelan starting is something I agree with, Jack’s game goes down hill greatly when he’s not in the side, Hourihane benched for me.

Hause to replace Taylor hopefully.

I'm so glad our game was on last night and we get to sit back and see who we play in the final.

LeBash wrote: »
    I'd agree with all that and I dont understand the criticism of the full backs. They've been brilliant in the last 12-15 games. Taylor and Elmo are the 2 most improved players under Smith by a long shot.

Hourihane is nowhere near as effective on the pitch if he is playing deep and isn't taking the set pieces. It's weird seeing it when you see the end result of Grealish, El Ghazi and Tammy taking them and you could probably put a 10 min video together with just assists/goals from hourihane set pieces.

Taylor has improved a fair bit defensively while still having some moments, but as soon as he crosses the half way line he is really poor. El Ghazi has to do that side all by himself most of the time. Elmo has done well mostly but still worries me sometimes, especially his positioning at set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Tickets are like gold dust at the moment,booking criteria is going to go beyond 4+ once the season holders and claret and blue clubs sell out the first allocation,And our allocation is lower than last years final for some reason

Leeds 1 up

Bamford booked after 30 mins for diving.

• Advertisement

1-1

Game on.

Bamford booked after 30 mins for diving.

Hernandez rolling around holding his face earlier too after being lightly tapped.

Their keeper is all over the place. Looks like Guzan at the end of his time at Villa.

2-1 Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

2-1 Derby

Nice goal.

• Advertisement

I still think Leeds will win once they get a grip of the game but has made a real game of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

3-1 to Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

If Leeds do come through, it'll still be nice to have some seeds of doubt planted in their minds too, after we put in such a poor show last night.

Well whatever way it goes tonight I hope there is a strong ref for the final. Both these teams are dirty.

There's been lots of yellows dished out already, ref is probably afraid if he starts on the reds it'll finish as a 5 a side - which would be great for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Patser wrote: »
    There's been lots of yellows dished out already, ref is probably afraid if he starts on the reds it'll finish as a 5 a side - which would be great for us

Ahem

Ahem

listermint wrote: »
    Ahem

Ahem

Red card dam has been breached, expect carnage.

Edit: that was 10th yellow of the game, still 8 players on pitch on a yellow and extra time possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

4-2 to Derby. This is a great match to watch

Red card dam has been breached, expect carnage.

Edit: that was 10th yellow of the game, still 8 players on pitch on a yellow and extra time possible

Red cards is what I’m hoping for here. Not more worried about one team than the other. Derby a more solid proposition, Leeds with a higher ceiling but absolute bat**** crazy.

Derby ahead again

And a Derby red!!!

• Advertisement

Hope this goes to extra time. Neither team will be able to field 11 in the final.

LeBash wrote: »
    Hope this goes to extra time. Neither team will be able to field 11 in the final.

I'd just be afraid Leeds sneak it, but if Derby win this, talk about confidence boost

Edit: I meant that boost for Derby. They now know that they can go at a team, and after what West Brom did last night, we better not count our chickens

Happy with that. Could have done without all the sh*te after the last game. Derby will be no pushover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All I know is we beat Derby 7-0 in our 2 games this season.
    Might not mean a thing.

Where's that lad that was in here last night?

Is this where we gave to face our nightmare and find out Always Be Closing is actually a Derby fan, or us it cruel to single him out....

Tbf all Leeds fans I know are sound. Into their team, and have stuck with them through terrible times, so I've sympathy for them. Especially given the lead they had. If it wasn't for the fact we're in direct competition, I'd have liked to see Leeds back in the Premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Listening to leeds fans all day telling me they are going to smash us at wembley....oh dear!

Hahaha what a mad game that was.

Is this where we gave to face our nightmare and find out Always Be Closing is actually a Derby fan, or us it cruel to single him out....

Tbf all Leeds fans I know are sound. Into their team, and have stuck with them through terrible times, so I've sympathy for them. Especially given the lead they had. If it wasn't for the fact we're in direct competition, I'd have liked to see Leeds back in the Premier league.
    Every fanbase has their idiot, I'm just hoping I'm not unknowingly ours :D

• Advertisement

Don't know how Leeds didn't score another, Derby looked so open when Leeds broke but wasted a lot of ball up front. Being honest I would have definitely preferred playing Derby before the game, with no disrespect to them. Still going to be a tough game no doubt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement