Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

CSF wrote: »
    Every fanbase has their idiot, I'm just hoping I'm not unknowingly ours :D

Not while we've Artane locked in the jacks some where (joking Art)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd fancy Tammy against Keogh all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

If derby play that wide open game against us we will slaughter them,plenty of room for jack and mcginn to play,I would be pretty confident! utv!vtid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Esse85 wrote: »

The 7 goals to nothing in the 2 league game aggregate has to give confidence but this won’t be easy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not the way he played last night. He was very poor imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The 7 goals to nothing in the 2 league game aggregate has to give confidence but this won’t be easy at all.

Leeds were 6-1 in the league games, 7-1 before tonight...don't take anything for granted.

I think Villa will go up, far better than Derby!

Mushy wrote: »
    Leeds were 6-1 in the league games, 7-1 before tonight...don't take anything for granted.

I think Villa will go up, far better than Derby!

Nothing being taken for granted trust me.

Not the way he played last night. He was very poor imo.

Are you aware he's played 39 games and scored 26 goals this season already?

That red card is significant too. Think it means Ashley Cole will need to deputise. With his age you’ve gotta be looking at having Green run at him right....or even Kodjia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That red card is significant too. Think it means Ashley Cole will need to deputise. With his age you’ve gotta be looking at having Green run at him right....or even Kodjia?

Very happy with the red.

• Advertisement

I mentioned the way he played last night.

Home advantage in the second leg didn't come into it, I never felt it was an advantage anyway.

First time in a long time we will favourites in a final, having been underdogs and lost to the following Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Fulham. I genuinely feel confident that we'll beat Derby, this is the best chance we'll have, facing 6th in a playoff final.

It'll be tight but I'm feeling good about this, far more positive than I would of been against that Leeds side.

I mentioned the way he played last night.

Take all the info into account.

He's played 39 games, not just the 1 you've seen last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Please stuff them in the final and at the end if anyone could kick a ball, full force at Jody Morris' face. That'd be great too.

Please stuff them in the final and at the end if anyone could kick a ball, full force at Jody Morris' face. That'd be great too.

What? I thought Leeds fans had Villa as the enemy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Thinking about the line up for the next match after watching that.

I'd start Hourihane and have him actually put the ball into the box at set pieces.

Right wing is a conundrum. I'd probably go with Kodjia out there as Green / Adomah have been poor when starting in the last few games.

Derby are going to be in our face and tryng to close us down. We need to start well and not let them get under our skin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What? I thought Leeds fans had Villa as the enemy?

I mean I would have preferred WBA to make the final than you guys...but Derby -v- Villa. I'll be with Villa. :pac:

El Gazhi on the right, Kodjia on the left.

Ashley Cole will play LB, Green would have the pace on him but he's too raw. I think El Gazhi would be the better option to get the better of Cole.

I'd play Whelan Instead of Hourihane as I wouldn't expect much tracking back from Kodjia.

If he plays as bad as last night Kehoe won’t worry.

More chance of him playing like he has done over the course of 39 games rather than a once off like last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

prefer derby purely because of all the agro with leeds
    great game tonight
    i wonder how close are lampard and terry these days?
    you have to feel for leeds , they should really have been already promoted

sc86 wrote: »
    you have to feel for leeds , they should really have been already promoted

No you don't, and no they shouldn't.

They finished 11 points off top spot and 6 points behind second. They don't deserve to go up ahead of Norwich or Sheff Utd.

You finish where you deserve to finish over a 46 game season.

they messed up , if that was how villas season went id be gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Who's Kehoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Leeds overachieved thanks to Biesla. 2 or 3 signings in January and they might have got automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JPA wrote: »
    Leeds overachieved thanks to Biesla. 2 or 3 signings in January and they might have got automatic.

If they had got Daniel James, which they should have, they'd have gone up automatically. Crazy game, the only time I wasn't expecting Leeds to score again was the final whistle. Definitely thought there was another goal in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Derby just absolutely went for it second half....when you see Richie Keogh striding through midfield with the ball you know it's going well for them. Leeds definitely imploded (i.e. the pen) but you have to give bulk of the credit to Derby.

With their left back suspended, I'd be tempted to play Kodjia right wing. Cole at his age won't be bombing on I'd imagine so it could free up Kodjia from too many defensive responsibilities perhaps.

Will be a tough game. Most finals are tight and dour. Hopefully we play somewhere near our best and I feel that could be enough. Derby will turn us over if we perform like we did against West Brom. Up the Villa!

I’m gonna actually backtrack a little. Both Hourihane and Adomah played the 4 nil and 3 nil wins v Derby (Hourihane bagged 3 goals), would be nuts to try fix what isn’t broken. I’d start them now and leave Whelan and Green on the bench.

I'm not too sure team selection will weigh much on the two previous games this season. Mount hasn't played against Villa yet this season and he'll be a threat definitely. Derby played a formation last night that they hadn't used all season either. The good thing about Smith is that he looks at what can be exploited attacking wise and not just what's best to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

If Cole is going to play then I'd have Kodija in all day

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm not too sure team selection will weigh much on the two previous games this season. Mount hasn't played against Villa yet this season and he'll be a threat definitely. Derby played a formation last night that they hadn't used all season either. The good thing about Smith is that he looks at what can be exploited attacking wise and not just what's best to defend.

I wouldn’t veer too far from it either. I’m sure Frank will be looking to do things differently (I mean of course he will after shipping in 7 goals and not scoring any) but I’d be more inclined to let him try figure out a way to turn the tide against Villa than I would be to try change what has worked against his teams so far.

Hourihane to start now against a team who unquestionably have less attacking threat than a Bielsa team who by design only really know one way to play.

Derby deserve the respect deserved by any team who reach this point, but I wouldn’t like to think the tactical setup will give them more respect than what needs to be given. Have to go for it against these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hopefully the failure of last year will give more incentive if any is needed. We didn't turn up last year and offered no threat but with Dean Smith it's a given that we'll be more positive and play on the front foot to try and get the win.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's do or die for me, no parachute payments next year, Grealish will go, Mings, Tammy, Tuanzebe and El Ghazi back to their clubs. I would imagine John McGinn will be the subject of some interest also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Imagine the changes needed as well, if we do go up.

Tammy will probably be needed by Chelsea given their transfer embargo, Kodjia and Hogan also needing replacement - so whole new forward line

Mings and Tuanzebe only on loan, so no guarantees. Elmo maybe, but Hutton and Taylor gone, Chester who knows - so probable whole new back line.

Midfield of McGinn, Grealish and Hourihane to stay but Whelan, Bjanrnason, Jedinak, Adomah, Lansbury all to go. Not sure what El Ghazi situation is - option to buy or just another loan. So new defensive minds needed and probably all new wingers.

Steer in goal, especially if he saves another penalty in play off?

Patser wrote: »

Tammy will probably be needed by Chelsea given their transfer embargo, Kodjia and Hogan also needing replacement - so whole new forward line

Mings and Tuanzebe only on loan, so no guarantees. Elmo maybe, but Hutton and Taylor gone, Chester who knows - so probable whole new back line.

Midfield of McGinn, Grealish and Hourihane to stay but Whelan, Bjanrnason, Jedinak, Adomah, Lansbury all to go. Not sure what El Ghazi situation is - option to buy or just another loan. So new defensive minds needed and probably all new wingers.

Refusing to read another transfer rumour until May 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Chelsea will end up with the ban suspended by CAS so I'd be quietly confident we could have Abraham here, Ming's I'd be surprised if we don't sign if we go up. Tuanzabe will be back at United I'd say, El Ghazi we've an option to buy for £4m so he'd be signed.

Have that new right back signing but I know nothing about him and I reckon Kalinic will start next season as No 1

We'll need two wingers, 2 defensive mids, a left back and 2 centre backs minimum even if the above all happened. Could get away with Kodija as a back up striker I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What happened to Kalinic? He was expensive no? Is Gollini still on loan?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What happened to Kalinic? He was expensive no? Is Gollini still on loan?

Gollini went to Atalanta on a permo.

We have signed a french RB already

Watched a clip from villa TV featuring El Ghazi, I always assumed his English was limited as he's not a bit vocal on the pitch but he's fluent English, as are most Dutch people.
    Rated himself a 6.5 / 10 this season so far. Must have high hopes for himself. Good to see he's ambitious.

• Advertisement

tammi hasnt a prayer of getting in chelsea team , they will sell him if we are stupid enough to buy him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Anyone have a booking history reference they won't use for the playoff final? I live in London and this is the first season I haven't seen Villa since I moved over. Would love to make it to this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Watched a clip from villa TV featuring El Ghazi, I always assumed his English was limited as he's not a bit vocal on the pitch but he's fluent English, as are most Dutch people.
    Rated himself a 6.5 / 10 this season so far. Must have high hopes for himself. Good to see he's ambitious.

I wouldn't touch him next season if we go up. I think we would walk the final if we actually had a good winger. The 3 we have don't come close to that though.

CucaFace wrote: »

I wouldn't touch him next season if we go up. I think we would walk the final if we actually had a good winger. The 3 we have don't come close to that though.

He's like a worse version of Theo Walcott.

He currently lacks the aggression and end product to be a top player.

Would look good on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Yeah totally agree.

He was in some great positions over the 2 legs of the semi finals and did nothing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

He gives you something decent 1 in 6 games.

He is so half hearted coming back he leaves the full back exposed.

He's still better than our other choices on the wing

El Ghazi is still easily our best winger, the only one who runs at the full backs. Whatever happens next year is another thing, but for the Championship play off final he could have a big part to play imo. Plenty other players that would deserve more criticism for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Tend to agree El Ghazi has been our best winger this year just doesn't do it often enough. But he's only 24, first season in English football, great goal against Albion away in the league and the sort of player who could win it for us Monday, I'd be looking to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

McCormack has another year on his contract and he will earn 70k a week if we go up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement