Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Well done Aston Villa, great to see ye back in the top flight..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

John McGinn is a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Jaysus that was nerve wracking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yessssssss!

Too nervous to post during the match and letting those last 10 min nerves die down till now :P.

I think Villa deserved it definitely. What can you say about McGinn that hasn't already been said. Even though Derby got one back I thought Villa handled any pressure well, Hause when he came on headed loads away.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Congratulations Villa. Strong 2nd half of the season and deserved. Thanks for making sure the we (Leeds) get another chance to put manners on Lampard again next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

What a difference a year makes.

This time last year we couldn't afford to pay the tax bills and we were looking at firesales of Grealish Chester etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A villa mate informs me ye were 13th 2 months ago.
    Fackin ell.

Welcome back to the Premier league John Terry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Absolutely glorious day to be a Villa fan, I'd tears of joy inside in Bunkers bar watching the lads lift the trophy.
    Hourihane was brilliant.

The game was very much like last year's final in that Derby never really tested us, similar to us not testing Fulham.

Recruitment is gonna be huge now.

Big thanks to those that won't play for us again like Hutton, Adomah etc

Delighted for Deano. I hope we’ve found our Eddie Howe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Esse85 wrote: »

The game was very much like last year's final in that Derby never really tested us, similar to us not testing Fulham.

This is exactly what I was thinking. We were comfortable until the last 15 / 20 minutes. But even then they didn't really have many good chances.

Hopefully we do better than Fulham next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We could and should sign Mings. El Ghazi is debatable.
    Tuanzebe and Abraham may not be possible.

Maybe Hause for the right price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

JPA wrote: »
    We could and should sign Mings. El Ghazi is debatable.
    Tuanzebe and Abraham may not be possible.

Maybe Hause for the right price.

Tammy is available to us for 14 million is the rumour now that we have gone up, so that will be up to him.

Man U are in a shambles of a transition. They probably need to be promoting players like Axel but no doubt they will throw a large 8 figure sum at 2 or 3 centre halves and he might be available. He might fancy staying if enough money is offered and he knows he will get game time.

LeBash wrote: »
    Tammy is available to us for 14 million is the rumour now that we have gone up, so that will be up to him.

Man U are in a shambles of a transition. They probably need to be promoting players like Axel but no doubt they will throw a large 8 figure sum at 2 or 3 centre halves and he might be available. He might fancy staying if enough money is offered and he knows he will get game time.

Mings is absolutely essential. He’s been our Van Dijk. Calmness personified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Deano has to be backed now. If worst comes to worst and we go back down he has to get another shot at coming right back up.

These kind of coach/club relationships don’t come around often.

remoteboy wrote: »
    Mings is absolutely essential. He’s been our Van Dijk. Calmness personified.

I read today hes only on 13.5k a week. Sure we pay McCormack 70k a week now and he hasn't even got a squad number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How was Tuanzebe this season?

RasTa wrote: »
    Sh*te, should probably sell him to us for about 2 million.

It is great that we can talk about transfers again now. Benteke for a return to compete with either Tammy or Maupay anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For 14m i'd take Tammy. Don't thing we'll get better for the price.

Could we try for Axel on another loan for a year? He was good when played a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Congrats to you all, great to see Villa going back to the Premier league.
    You have a manager who loves the club which is great.
    Hopefully you can set everything up right and not have to face relegation again.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Top notch but hes a sick note. 2 really long lay offs in 2 seasons. I'd say any club that has him would need a very good back up.

I wouldn't fancy Benteke back.

Too injury prone, plus I'd question his hunger.

Tammy could be a dodgy one timing wise. He's the type of striker that Chelsea would probably sell but only if they have 1 in too, even if their ban is frozen that could mean one of those up to the window sagas and I'd really like to avoid that with a centre forward being such an important position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Loved Grealish's post match interview, he had a nice dig at the Blues. Never change Jack :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I wouldn't be terribly upset if Tammy left.

I'm not sure I'd be either, as much as he contributed to going up. It's a whole other world now quality wise but it's also a whole new one financially and I think having a higher calibre of striker will be essential. I think question marks over Tammy is something that I don't think is worth the risk if it's either/or.

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd be either, as much as he contributed to going up. It's a whole other world now quality wise but it's also a whole new one financially and I think having a higher calibre of striker will be essential. I think question marks over Tammy is something that I don't think is worth the risk if it's either/or.
    He drives me crazy sometimes but he didn't score that many goals without having something to offer that would probably come in quite handy in the Premier League.

Definitely would want competition to keep him on his toes though/someone better at leading the line for games where we will never be able to dream of winning the possession battle.

It's difficult. 14 million is almost giveaway on this market, I wouldn't actually believe that.
    Tammy is one of these players who's a standout for the championship but might struggle in the PL.
    But then it's extremely difficult to sign a striker who will be (a) value, (b) fit in and (c) proven.

The amount of recruitment needed is huge.
    Will Steer be no.1?

Both FBs are not PL standard.
    Both first choice CBs are not our players.

In midfield, the wingers weren't great for championship level. Hourihane will be limited.

Strikers, Tammy not ours, Kodjia and Scott Hogan not PL level.

Then you've the likes of Elmo, Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak, Adomah, Elphick, Lansbury who will all likely move on.

The good this is Smith seems to know the player and attributes he wants, and when you know what you want it's easier get it as opposed to signing lads and no plan how to use them like Fulham.

I have thought back to Steve Bruce a couple of times today and I'm grateful he got in Tammy, Axel, McGinn, and Hourihane as they played a massive role in getting promotion.

• Advertisement

Every player is a hero today.

Grealish, McGinn and Mings top 3 for the season.
    Hourihane and El Ghazi have had some great moments.

Steer as number 1 in the Premier League wouldn’t be sensible but he should certainly be given the chance to compete with someone. Maybe Kalinic if he is as good as they previously thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Delighted with that, roll on 13th June for the fixtures.

CSF wrote: »
    Sh*te, should probably sell him to us for about 2 million.

It is great that we can talk about transfers again now. Benteke for a return to compete with either Tammy or Maupay anyone?

No thanks

I'd take Benteke back.

There is huge work to be done on this squad, last thing I would do would bring back Benteke who hasn’t done it for a long time.

We need hungry players mixed with some good experience, I understand he has experience but he really has gone to ****.

Ryan Sessegnon as LB would be one player I would definitely sign.

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »

Ryan Sessegnon as LB would be one player I would definitely sign.

Not Joe Bryan? 😂

I’d take Mitrovic as well, he would be a good fit once he gets good service. Wingers are a big problem also. Only one I would be happy to keep is El Ghazi, the others are very average.

I've my doubts over El Ghazi performing in the Premier League.

I've my doubts over El Ghazi performing in the Premier League.

Defo blows hot and cold but if we got him cheap I think he would certainly add something to the team/squad. Wouldn’t be bothered about any of the rest of our wingers at all.

Desperate need of a defensive midfielder, there are so many positions that need work, big job now to get it right in the next few weeks.

For now I’m just happy to be back in the premier league.

Pity Whelan is probably just a little bit too old for the Prem. He'd have been perfect for that sitting position.

• Advertisement

It's great we are talking about what players will and won't be good enough for Premier League next year, rather than those days of lamenting only signing older players on free transfers during the summer for another Championship campaign.

Ryan Kent is a name that's cropped up in the past few days. Liverpool winger on loan at Rangers last season.

I'll just leave this here :)

https://youtu.be/VwVOfmz2f_g

Pity Whelan is probably just a little bit too old for the Prem. He'd have been perfect for that sitting position.

I think he will be signed back all the same. There’ll probably be games he will be brought on late in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

No analysis of that game necessary, today was all about the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Great win, even though we made hard work of it in the end. But we are back where we belong.

Makes it even better the fact I put €50 on villa to get promoted at 25/1 after we beat Derby 3 nil away when Jack came back. :) I couldn't believe the odds Villa were at that stage when we were only 6 points off the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Non Villa fan here.

But well done, good to have you back where you belong.

You must all be buzzing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

huge problem now is do you buy a load of players or a couple , look what happened fulham
    really only 4 or 5 of that team would be prem standard , but if you split the team up you risk lose the spirit thats there now
    mitrovic from fulham would fit that system
    dont think tammy is up to 12 or 14 goal in prem league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

sc86 wrote: »
    huge problem now is do you buy a load of players or a couple , look what happened fulham
    really only 4 or 5 of that team would be prem standard , but if you split the team up you risk lose the spirit thats there now

Really we need at least 10 players to come in. Dean Smith got us promoted with a lot of players im sure he would never have brought to the club. We have no full backs or wingers that are nearly good enough for the PL. That's 4 to start. We managed to get promoted without having any decent quality out wide and I think teams figured this out recently and just defended the middle ground knowing out wide we don't have much quality.

Most of our CB's are on loan, that's 3 more to be brought in so that's 7 already. If we got Mings, Tenzabe and Hause in again id be delighted. New goalkeeper probably required. Another good DM needs to be brought in and also 2 strikers.

Tammy Abraham is not good enough for the PL and im sure he will be hugely over priced. He all round game is poor. His hold up play for a large , athletic striker is appalling (yesterday he was poor again) and while he scored 26 goals, his finishing is not good enough either, he missed so many easy chances during the season he could easily have finished with 40 goals this season. I would love to see us go for Malpay, I think he would suit us very well.

I trust Dean Smiths ability to bring in much improved players then what we have. His loan signings in Jan were top notch and got us promoted.

sc86 wrote: »

You buy what you need. You either sign a keeper or decide Kalinic is able to compete with Steer for number 1 at Premier League. You need a left back to compete with Taylor (someone better obviously). You don’t need any new CBs if you sign the loan guys permanently. We’ve Guilbert in, so you’ve to decide if he’s good enough or if you need more competition for him than just Elmohamady.

Badly need a midfielder to battle with Hourihane, a wide player and a striker (2 if Abraham goes).

Wouldn’t go too much further than that to avoid doing a Fulham. The key is to ensure that the players that you do sign are quality rather than squad filler.

I think the problem Fulham had was that the players signed were done so by other personnel other than the manager.

These players were just signed for the sake of it with no real plan or purpose.

I'd expect a lot of championship signings, Smith will know the division inside out. He'll pinpoint the players with the right character.

Did anyone see Lansbury celebrating yesterday, he must of had a clause in his contract that doubles his salary due to promotion, he was overly ecstatic for a guy who's hardly kicked a ball since he joined.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement