Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

If we're going for Etheridge then we're obviously giving up on Kalinac seems a weird move, he was Smith's first signing and I kind of expected him to start next season as No.1 after having had time to settle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

If we're going for Etheridge then we're obviously giving up on Kalinac seems a weird move, he was Smith's first signing and I kind of expected him to start next season as No.1 after having had time to settle in.

I'd say he was Bruce's last signing. He was in very early in the window and we had been linked with him a long time. I would imagine it was all agreed when Nyland wasnt coming good in between the windows.

He hasn't looked great but in fairness he only had 1 semi fit centre half in front of him for most of his games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

sc86 wrote: »
    Great servant to the club

Should get testimonial

Who ever is arranging all these releases? McCormack, Richards gone. Is Tshibola the only non squad player still lingering

Everyone has just been out of contract and not renewed with the exception of McCormack, hopefully we can ship Hogan and Lansbury out for a few quid. Might be some potential to use Lansbury as part of a deal for Lolley, Lansbury had done very well at Forest before we bought him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

We should be able to recoup some cash for the likes of Hogan, Lansbury, Thisbola, Thor. But they might need an extra payoff to buy out part of their contracts as they might not get the same wages with a new club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Its very refreshing to see the swift exodus of players with no future at the club.

Previous era would of seen players lingering on for the sake of it.

You get the sense that anyone joining the club going forward will offer value in terms of the contribution they make on the pitch and akin to their transfer value whereas the vast majority of Bruce signings have given us no return on investment be it on the pitch or resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Glenn whelan not happy

Got off a flight - had missed called from journalist asking about his release and missed called from dean smith
    You would think they would have contacted him first with the news.
    bad form for a player who tried his best.

It's not like it would have been a surprise to him, his contract was up and they obviously hadn't offered him a new one

no it wasnt a surprise and he said that , but its a lack of respect to post it on facebook before you tell him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Read that Whelan interview and thought it was weird. Wouldn't a missed call from Smith indicate that they did try to inform him first? Just bad luck he was getting a flight and couldn't answer the call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Probably no direct link between management and social media team, they would have been given a time schedule release the statement/post on social media. Probably were unaware Smith was unable to contact him and in the meantime he missed the call and it went to press.

Non-issue really.

Probably no direct link between management and social media team, they would have been given a time schedule release the statement/post on social media. Probably were unaware Smith was unable to contact him and in the meantime he missed the call and it went to press.

Non-issue really.

I think it's fairly disrespectful myself.

Nobody should have been informed within the club until the player was informed, let alone a sub-contracted social media team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Honestly never seen him play but maybe the Rongier link will be more to people’s liking. Nantes captain, deep lying midfielder (needed) and also wanted by Lyon and Southampton

Sky sports saying the Jota/Gardener deal will be done shortly.

Some talk around that some deals may already be done but won't be finalised and announced until after this Friday (7th) when Premier League certification kicks in. Apparently doing them before this would still fall under EFL and their rules.

Bowen from Hull would be a great signing although there's bound to be big interest in him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Honestly never seen him play but maybe the Rongier link will be more to people’s liking. Nantes captain, deep lying midfielder (needed) and also wanted by Lyon and Southampton

Buying French midfielders is what relegated us in the first place.

Jota/Gardner confirmed. Two year deal, quite short.

Jota signing confirmed. Gardner also confirmed to Birmingham.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1136297889930588161?s=19

Happy with Jota. Never seen a 2 year deal handed out to a player his age before. Has pros and cons I suppose.

Hause deal has been triggered apparently. Fee of around £3m. For a young centre back who can/will improve I think that's good business.

Some loose links to Edouard of Celtic today as well, with Celtic in return linked to Maupay. Certainly don't think they could afford him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hause is only 23 and would be happy not being a guaranteed starter and is liked at Villa so at 3m it seems like a no brained given how well he did on loan

Dack at Blackburn is being linked now and could be a decent acquisition and if Villa mostly added s core of young English players maybe we wouldn’t get as much of a veretout etc feeling from the odd linked foreign player like Nantes captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rumours that Hause and El Ghazi will have clauses triggered.

So the first team squad as it stands is:

Steer
    Kalinic

Elmohamady
    Guilbert
    Taylor
    Chester

Hourihane
    McGinn
    Lansbury
    Grealish
    Green
    Jota

Kodjia
    Davis

O’Hare and Bree to come back from loans also, but remains to be seen whether they will be back out on loan or in the first team setup. Am I missing anyone?

Thor and Hogan

matrim wrote: »
    Thor and Hogan

Ah yes. I suspect they’ll be omitted from that list also before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Tishbola ?

Blavkburn would want serious money for Dack, around £15m+ is being quoted. Not sure he'd be worth that, especially when had a poor enough 2nd half of the season.

I wouldn't have much qualms about foreign players really. There's a system to fit into now which there wasn't even a glimpse of before. Most of the foreign players were actually pretty decent, just was a terrible time to be a Villa player imo. Veretout has done great since leaving.

The likes of Benrahma at Brentford, Bowen and Lolley would all be good signings. Fees would all be substantial though. Will be interesting the actual clout Villa will have in paying fees regard.

No interest in Dack. It’s a Premier League club now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Nyland is still with us too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

8m pounds for el ghazi,release was triggered today..hopefully after mings is done we can get down to building rest of squad

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    8m pounds for el ghazi,release was triggered today..hopefully after mings is done we can get down to building rest of squad

A bit more that I would have liked to spend on him but he was good for the end of last year. Hopefully he can kick on more next year.

tammy has a post up on insta thanking the club so looks like hes not come back , same with axel

not to upset , i would be if mings does the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

tammy has a post up on insta thanking the club so looks like hes not come back , same with axel

not to upset , i would be if mings does the same

Would have loved to have signed axel.

Both of those situations will probably have more story to tell. Whether they end up at Villa or not, I’m sure this won’t be the end of the pursuit.

Wouldn’t read too much into an Instagram post in June.

if the players themselves dont want to join then let them off
    if the clubs dont want to sell them at present then thats a diff story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

The best thing that can happen is that Tammy doesn't come back. He really isn't good enough, too many area's in his game that are weak IMO and I would worry if he was our number one striker going into the start of next season, I think we would struggle.

• Advertisement

if the players themselves dont want to join then let them off
    if the clubs dont want to sell them at present then thats a diff story

Well I think it goes without saying that if Chelsea want Tammy to be their starting striker and United want Axel to be their starting CB then they want to be there.

However, as the window progresses their future will become more clear and I suspect that it won’t be the case. So I think there’s a good chance at least one of the deals happens. Was never gonna be the case that these deals happen easy.

If for no other reason that all the clubs know Villa want the players so they will want to try and get an extra million or 2 out of it if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

El Ghazi has signed a permanent deal with us apparently, good business imo

Few people on Twitter saying Mings is done now, wages, fee etc all agreed.

A Leeds related media site complaining and Middlesbrough complaining about Derby, two teams who either missed out on the play offs or the final itself. Funny that.

• Advertisement

Talk about clutching at straws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

That story surfaced weeks ago they have literally copied it word for word and published it like it's a new story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

El Ghazi is confirmed. See now if he steps up to a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

El Ghazi is confirmed. See now if he steps up to a higher level.

I have my doubts if he can. Too inconsistent from what ive seen this season. Ok if he is to used from the bench but I think we need better then him as a starting wide player in the formation we have been using the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

He could be a decent Premier league player, in time.

He needs to bulk up and become stronger to shake off, he'll take time adjusting to the premier league.

Sky reporting Villa been knocked back in bid for Benrahma. Would love to sign him but sounds like Brentford would want crazy money, which they'd have a right to of course.

Corholio wrote: »
    Sky reporting Villa been knocked back in bid for Benrahma. Would love to sign him but sounds like Brentford would want crazy money, which they'd have a right to of course.

Was reading that this morning alright. But Brentford wont be able to keep him or name their price if he wants to leave.

What a well run club though. They've been decent for a few years and have half the team whipped from under them every year, then they get a replacement in who's as good if not better.

Barbet who's out of contract in a few days is being heavily linked as well. Hes top notch and I'd say he'll be good enough for the Premiership.

LeBash wrote: »
    Was reading that this morning alright. But Brentford wont be able to keep him or name their price if he wants to leave.

What a well run club though. They've been decent for a few years and have half the team whipped from under them every year, then they get a replacement in who's as good if not better.

Barbet who's out of contract in a few days is being heavily linked as well. Hes top notch and I'd say he'll be good enough for the Premiership.

I google Barbet to so who you were on about. Result was not a footballer but I am happy nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Happy with El Ghazi. Hope he will improve under Smith. Funnily enough I think the PL will suit him better. Teams won't be sitting back against us next season. Consistency will make or break him.

I think in reference to Tammy and Axel then we won't know or give up till last minute of window. My guess is they would both like to try and break into their respective club first eleven (hard to blame them). Who each club sign or don't will decide their availability imo.

I would predict we will keep our two PL loan places open until then.

I'd say Hause and Mings are both only a matter of time hopefully.

I still think we will sign another 5 players on top of that. Possibly a RB, LB, DM, LW and ST.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement