Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Elphick signed for Huddersfield today, actually think he would have been worth hanging onto as a squad option given Chesters injury problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Elphick signed for Huddersfield today, actually think he would have been worth hanging onto as a squad option given Chesters injury problems

Elphick not good enough for a side competing for top 6 in the championship never mind trying the jump to the premier league. I like him cos he never complained(publically anyway and was very professional even though he wasn’t always treated well)

Will be very happy with Butland signing, a very solid keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes, Butland and Steer for me there's room for both, jury is out on Kalinic and I don't think we can afford to take a risk with Nyland.

Steer is an odd one he saved those penalties against Albion and the one against Sheff Wed other than that I don't see that he had a lot to do but that's as much a measure of how our defence performed in the 2nd half of the season. I see people saying he should be given a chance as a No 1 but we've got to be ruthless and no room for sentimentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Some chatter online of Spurs chasing Grealish again, this time for around £60 million, which is some jump on last year, and possibly worrying if it's a signal of intent and an opening bid.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/jack-grealish-told-resist-tottenham-16525092

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Patser wrote: »
    Some chatter online of Spurs chasing Grealish again, this time for around £60 million, which is some jump on last year, and possibly worrying if it's a signal of intent and an opening bid.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/jack-grealish-told-resist-tottenham-16525092

60 would trigger his release clause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd be stunned if he left.

matrim wrote: »
    60 would trigger his release clause

Oh! So a test of loyalty then?

Patser wrote: »

Should have took the 3 million plus Onomah when we had the chance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There is literally nothing in that article to suggest Spurs are looking at Grealish.

There is literally nothing in that article to suggest Spurs are looking at Grealish.

True. There are a few articles that all seem to reference Allardyce talking about Grealish, but probably no more to it than that. Sam Allardyce makes a quip while in chippy one night, and now its Spurs want Grealish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hause confirmed as signed permanently now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    Hause confirmed as signed permanently now.

Good squad signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Maupays agent was in Seville talking about a move at the weekend. They are saying 8.9 million. That's a bargain compared to the prices going around for the top championship players.

LeBash wrote: »
    Maupays agent was in Seville talking about a move at the weekend. They are saying 8.9 million. That's a bargain compared to the prices going around for the top championship players.

Whole different story if we were in for them

Linked with highly rated Bristol City centre back Adam Webster today. Rumoured to be a £12m bid. A few other Prem clubs looking at him too.

It’s Mings we want!!

15.5 million bid gone in for Maupay.

Barbet signing for QPR over Villa.

Barbet signing for QPR over Villa.

Don’t think anybody doing that is doing that because they believe they can get in the Villa side

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Don’t think anybody doing that is doing that because they believe they can get in the Villa side

I'd say its probably because the club are London based. It's a huge draw for people. Even on the bench he'd earn more at Villa. Hes a bloody good player, hard to tell if hes PL quality but he is better than what we have.

Poor aul Brentford are going to get torn to shreds this summer. Amazing recruitment job they've been doing for years and years. Villas next signings should be the team that have been scouting and assessing those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jed steer signed a contract extension

listermint wrote: »
    Jed steer signed a contract extension

4 years as well and he's only 26 so let's hope he gets plenty of game time and establishes himself as a solid PL goalkeeper, the opportunity is certainly there for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Players I’ve seen linked in the past day or two:

Heston / Butland - Steer may have signed a new deal but we need a new keeper, Butland probably the favorite and although some might think Butland a little over priced he is definitely premiership quality and young enough that I’d expect him to improve further still.

Marvelous Nakamba / Valentin Rongier (15m): his name is marvelous and I’ve seen him called the African Kante... I’m sold. TBH I don’t know a whole lot about either but that’s a nice review for Nakamba and Rongier is Nantes captain and they are looking for 15m for him. Both play in a position villa need more in after releasing Whelan/ Jedinak.

Tammy Abraham / Said Benrahma/ Neal Maupay - Villa signed a striker but even our new record isn’t exactly huge money these days and he will need competition or help up front

Hause has signed and we still have Chester

Tyrone Mings
    Adam Webster
    Terence Kongolo

Kongolo probably cost too much given how many we are recruiting but despite the relegation he seems to be highly rated.

Saw reports Brentford might welcome back Scott Hogan if we are to do a deal for Maupay or Said Benrahma. Similarly saw him linked to Bristol City where Adam Webster currently plies his trade so would not be shocked to see him moved on.

Villa in talks with Southampton over signing left back Matt Targett. Tried to sign him last year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Turns out Villa sold Villa Park to another company in the group to get around FFP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kilburn wrote: »
    Turns out Villa sold Villa Park to another company in the group to get around FFP

WTF?! So the current owner gets bored, sells the club, and...no stadium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Villa in talks with Southampton over signing left back Matt Targett. Tried to sign him last year as well.

A slight upgrade on taylor

A slight upgrade on taylor

He's better than that imo. Think he'd be a very decent signing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

fullstop wrote: »

He would probably be nice enough to sell the stadium back to the club.

fullstop wrote: »

It’s a worry alright, but they may have not had a choice here to avoid failing FFP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He would probably be nice enough to sell the stadium back to the club.

Well he probably would, but it's the sort of thing that could become a sticking point. Crazy situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Deal agreed for Targett apparently, 14m is a bit more than I expected but for a young English player who could be our starting lb in the premiership I guess it’s just the modern price to be expected

Fee for Targett seems to be £11.5m rising to £17m with add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Southampton fans seem to think they’re getting the best end of this deal. Consensus seems to be that he’s slow and weak in a challenge. We have to trust that DS sees something to work with.

Panrich wrote: »
    Southampton fans seem to think they’re getting the best end of this deal. Consensus seems to be that he’s slow and weak in a challenge. We have to trust that DS sees something to work with.

I’m sure Taylor and Hause will keep him on his toes in any case. When you look at the Wan Bissaka few we can’t complain too much here I think. It’s the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Man utd to bid 50m for mcginn..thats doing the rounds right now on ****tersphere
    maybe 50m plus tuanzebe then we will talk

Sounds like BS, plus as much as we like him I don't think he's a top 6 PL player.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Man utd to bid 50m for mcginn..thats doing the rounds right now on ****tersphere
    maybe 50m plus tuanzebe then we will talk
    No. No talking. Just no.

sugarman wrote: »
    Hes not and never will be.

Sure Conor Hourihane played 400 less minutes than him last season in the same team and both scored more and assisted more goals than him. 7/12 against 6/10.

He must be worth about £60m :p

Whatever about stats, McGinn was absolutely head and shoulders above Hourihane last season. McGinn's worst games in general play was about Hourihanes best imo.

I think McGinn's style of play and quality could step up into a 'higher' team, whether that's regularly in a top 6 team I'm not sure. Hope we don't find out either :P

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Hes not and never will be.

Sure Conor Hourihane played 400 less minutes than him last season in the same team and both scored more and assisted more goals than him. 7/12 against 6/10.

He must be worth about £60m :p

I wouldn't say he never will be, but comparing him to Hourihane doesn't make sense, different type of players.
    I expect he'll have a new contract soon.

Whatever about stats, McGinn was absolutely head and shoulders above Hourihane last season. McGinn's worst games in general play was about Hourihanes best imo.

I think McGinn's style of play and quality could step up into a 'higher' team, whether that's regularly in a top 6 team I'm not sure. Hope we don't find out either :P

McGinn looks great on the ball and his work rate is top notch but he is seriously lacking goals for someone so advanced and hes not massively creative. I wouldn't like to lose him but nobody would be parting with anything near 50 million for him.

If anyone was willing we could probably pick up Bowen, Lolley, Dack and if the 8 million figure for Axel in the papers is right, you could pay for a bit of him too.

I love McGinn but if we got offered 50m I'd sell with no hesitation.

The only player in our squad worth that (or more) is Grealish

I love McGinn but if we got offered 50m I'd sell with no hesitation.

The only player in our squad worth that (or more) is Grealish
    Getting promoted was about avoiding losing these kinds of players. You can't just go out into the market and replace McGinn.

McGinn, Grealish and hopefully Mings are the difference between being a normal newly promoted side, and possibly being better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Getting promoted was about avoiding losing these kinds of players. You can't just go out into the market and replace McGinn.

McGinn, Grealish and hopefully Mings are the difference between being a normal newly promoted side, and possibly being better than that.

I’d be a little concerned about McGinn at the next level as he’s unproven and doesn’t look as good playing international football as he does for Villa.

Now that’s a small sample of data but at £50m it’s getting close to be too good to turn down. If we could work Tuanzebe into the deal as well, I’d certainly be tempted.

Grealish is top 6 in the PL. Mings was brilliant last season but he cant get onto the bench at Bournemouth. Maybe hes not the type of defender they want or maybe he isn't good enough. We'll see soon I reckon but hes definitely a leader on the pitch

Grealish is top 6 in the PL. Mings was brilliant last season but he cant get onto the bench at Bournemouth. Maybe hes not the type of defender they want or maybe he isn't good enough. We'll see soon I reckon but hes definitely a leader on the pitch

I’m willing to take the risk on McGinn and Mings in the Premier League. Want them here at basically any cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It’s a worry alright, but they may have not had a choice here to avoid failing FFP.
    Derby pulled a similar stunt but it's all within the rules!

Buying player cheap getting a couple of good seasons out of them and selling them on for multiples of what you paid is the sustainable model for a club like us. It doesn't matter how rich the owners are they can't keep pumping in money because of FFP.

• Advertisement

Buying player cheap getting a couple of good seasons out of them and selling them on for multiples of what you paid is the sustainable model for a club like us. It doesn't matter how rich the owners are they can't keep pumping in money because of FFP.

First season in the Premier League. Need that stability first and foremost. Perhaps in the future offers will become too good to refuse but right now is about avoiding replicating Fulham and Cardiff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement