Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Honestly, the time to let McGinn or Grealish go is the summer after we sign their replacement.

Any premium you gain on selling McGinn would be lost on the extra 5-10 million teams are looking for his replacement, knowing we just received 50 million.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think the club will hang on to him if he wants to stay. It would certainly be a litmus test to see if the club has any ambition to go further than just settling back in to mid-table mediocrity.

I think the club will hang on to him if he wants to stay. It would certainly be a litmus test to see if the club has any ambition to go further than just settling back in to mid-table mediocrity.

Yup, only way I’d sell is if he proper throws his toys out of the pram about leaving. Which everything I’ve seen from the lad, suggests he would not do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Every player has his price but McGinn is integral to our team and it's no suprise he won both supporters player of the year and player's player of the year. Stats don't tell the whole story and I think this applies to Grealish as well. Their role is to get possession in midfield and create opportunities for the forward players.

I'll be glad when all the transfer speculation is over football is just one big cycle next we'll be discussing how long it's going to take for the new players to gel.

Incidentally here's our goals and assists stats from last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/top-scorers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Craig Dawson, who looks to be going to Watford, would have been a decent signing and for very little relative payout.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Craig Dawson, who looks to be going to Watford, would have been a decent signing and for very little relative payout.

You think? More than happy with our policy of looking to spend on some young players who we will have for quite a while. Chester is more than ok for that experienced CB option.

CSF wrote: »
    You think? More than happy with our policy of looking to spend on some young players who we will have for quite a while. Chester is more than ok for that experienced CB option.

Only just turned 29 and at the quoted £5.5m it's a very good bit of business for Watford. I'm one of Chester's biggest fans here but his injury sent his form off a cliff and now that it's out that its something he'll be always fighting against, it would have been a cheap but experienced option there. Always been a fan of Dawson.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yup, only way I’d sell is if he proper throws his toys out of the pram about leaving. Which everything I’ve seen from the lad, suggests he would not do.

Personally if he came to me and said "Manchester United are in for me, I'd like to talk to them." I wouldn't stand in his way.

Personally if he came to me and said "Manchester United are in for me, I'd like to talk to them." I wouldn't stand in his way.

Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

Potential earnings way above what Villa could offer.

Potential earnings way above what Villa could offer.

Yes but Villa need to put the interests of the club before any player. If you don’t have a ready made replacement, you shouldn’t sell one of your best players.

Next think you know you’re spending 30 million on some lad Fiorentina can buy for 10 million and only hoping that he can contribute nearly as much as McGinn has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Richards contract is up today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

cant see man united wanting mcginn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rafael Leao Being linked is interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭LeBash

Fer being linked on a free. Thought he would have been snapped up by now.

Llorente and Bony are both released and if we are clearing Hogan and Davis (Kodjia is more than likely leaving as well), those 2 wouldn't be bad back up.

Neither are on fire these days, but free is free when you consider the quotes we are getting lately.

LeBash wrote: »
    Fer being linked on a free. Thought he would have been snapped up by now.

Llorente and Bony are both released and if we are clearing Hogan and Davis (Kodjia is more than likely leaving as well), those 2 wouldn't be bad back up.

Neither are on fire these days, but free is free when you consider the quotes we are getting lately.

Bony hasn’t been a Championship player of late, would take Llorente.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

would take Llorente.

In a heartbeat.

Some slight rumour that might be close to agreeing a fee for Phillips. I'd be a bit surprised if Fer was a target now, I like him but the move that fell through in January seemed a very in the moment transfer and wouldn't have expected to go back in with more options around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Bony, absolutely not.
    We are done with signing this sort of player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Would Lorente fit into the Smiths style of football? I don't think he would. He isn't mobile or technically good and I doubt he would join villa to be used as he was at Spurs, to come on for the last few minutes of games when they needed a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

CucaFace wrote: »
    Would Lorente fit into the Smiths style of football? I don't think he would. He isn't mobile or technically good and I doubt he would join villa to be used as he was at Spurs, to come on for the last few minutes of games when they needed a goal.

Not for me either, not to mention the big wages he'd command. He's 34 too.
    No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

So Wesley is all officially wrapped up now. Next up a CB or two and a DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Panrich wrote: »
    So Wesley is all officially wrapped up now. Next up a CB or two and a DM

Yes that's what is urgently needed , and then the rest. We really have no squad at the moment which is a little worrying when I see the crazy money being touted for decent footballers. What would have cost 5/6 million 4 years ago is now 20 million now it seems.

I just hope Dean Smith has a few bargains lined up from France or another league as really I think we need at the very least 7 more players to come in to have a squad capable of staying up next season. Doesn't seem like its viable to buy too many English based players as they are vastly over priced no matter what division they are playing in.

I'm sure we'll see some more European signings as well. Pitarch was brought on board to identify these so hopefully a few with quality can be brought in. If the likes of Butland and Phillips are too expensive, just move on. Although I would like to get Phillips, I think he's exactly what the team needs and less bedding in than a European player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

United bidding for Maguire. Might open up Axel to us. Fingers crossed.

Some slight rumour that might be close to agreeing a fee for Phillips. I'd be a bit surprised if Fer was a target now, I like him but the move that fell through in January seemed a very in the moment transfer and wouldn't have expected to go back in with more options around now.

Is it certain Fer turned us down or was it media noticed we were talking with Swansea and thought Fer, not Carrol.

Is it certain Fer turned us down or was it media noticed we were talking with Swansea and thought Fer, not Carrol.

Fer had an injury I think and move broke down over that. Carroll seemed to be a late replacement option.

Fer had an injury I think and move broke down over that. Carroll seemed to be a late replacement option.

I wouldn't turn him down, think hes very good player myself.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't turn him down, think hes very good player myself.

The serial relagationist can stay where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Patser

sugarman wrote: »
    Bargain for €22m

Seen this tweet showing his pace, he's the one that goes out of frame to right at start of clip....

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1146183877314174976

I'll wait till I see him play before passing judgement. We all look good on YouTube.

Kasimpasa winger Trezeguet being linked with 8 million move. Came out today and said he wants to go.

Scored 25 goals from the wing in 18 months.

Didn't make it at Anderlecht. Dont know if he was woeful or someone else was ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just speculating here but the talk of an incoming goalkeeper has gone quiet. I wonder if we say we bought Sam Johnstone from WBA (he went for 6.5 million from Man U) would him and Steer be strong enough for the PL.

I know they lack PL experience but I'd take Johnstone over goalies such as Nyland, Gollini or even Kalinic. And Is there that much of a gap in skill level from Johnstone & Steer compared to Etheridge or Butland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Of those if we can't get Butland I'd be happy with what we have at the moment I think. Butland would be a significant upgrade, depends on if Kalinic has his head set on leaving otherwise I'd be alright with Steer and him competing for the spot

One of Nyland or Kalinic, or both have to leave before another lad comes in.

Of those if we can't get Butland I'd be happy with what we have at the moment I think. Butland would be a significant upgrade, depends on if Kalinic has his head set on leaving otherwise I'd be alright with Steer and him competing for the spot

I'd say the plan is get rid of Kalinic and Nyland and sign a number one. It's not something to gamble with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Is Nyland capable of leaving? Is he not still injured?

Tuanzebe new deal for United so that kills any hope of them selling him if Maguire comes in

Tuanzebe new deal for United so that kills any hope of them selling him if Maguire comes in

Back in training.

Possibly get Tuanzebe on loan again. Best we can hope for.

• Advertisement

He is back training anyway. How far ahead he is in his recovery I do not know.

We send the young lad (starik?) out on loan, so we'd probably want to keep one of Nyland or Kalinic so that we have 3 keepers on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

JPA wrote: »
    Back in training.

Possibly get Tuanzebe on loan again. Best we can hope for.

I don’t think we’ll be looking to develop Tuanzebe any further for United. He’s had two seasons with us already and while it has been a good fit there’s nothing in it for us any more. He never seemed to be all in like Mings for instance and seems to be a bit injury prone in any case.

Some reports this morning that Cahill might be close to signing on a 1 year deal. If it happens I don't think it's a bad signing, although I know some may not be too gone on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Some reports this morning that Cahill might be close to signing on a 1 year deal. If it happens I don't think it's a bad signing, although I know some may not be too gone on it.

Especially on just a 1yr deal I’d be happy enough with that. Lots of experience and a guy who knows the club. Hopefully Ming’s still signs too. Also considering the amount of players Villa need to get in still being able to get a CB like Cahill for free would probably mean a bit more money can be spent elsewhere.

Cahill's next club odds have shifted dramatically this morning with Villa now 4/6 to sign the centre-back and the next best priced club out at 11/1.

Hoping we don’t sign him, but think the decision makers have earned a fair bit of rope for me to just go along with what they think is best without being too cynical about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭basillarkin

would be great to have him at the club for a year for his experience alone

Hes free, that's a good call with all the mad prices been thrown at us for players.

Brentford look like they are signing Pontus Jansson, which in itself seems a strange one. I wonder would Konsa there be on the move, would be a very good signing for the right price.

Gonna be a lot of business in the last week or so I think. With Ake being linked away, Bournemouth might stall the Mings signing, although I don't think Howe wants to keep hold of Mings anyway.

Apparently Bournemouth want 25m for Mings. I wouldn't pay that, it's way too much for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement