Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Looks like it is Sheff Utd. I'd be a bit surprised if Villa were in for him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Strange one, unless they have a buy-back or first option clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Patser wrote: »
    We still have Davis and Hogan, same as Kodjia untested at this level, but probably need moving on before replacing - although I still have hope for Davis

Think I'd be loaning Davies back to the championship until Jan at least, he had a long time out injured last season. I do think we need another striker as I don't think we can rely on Kodjia or Hogan so I'd be looking at Maupay or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    Looks like it is Sheff Utd. I'd be a bit surprised if Villa were in for him.

I wouldn’t have a huge amount of interest in him myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CSF wrote: »
    I think Phillips will be more than happy to leave if he gets an opportunity to play Premier League while earning more cash. He may not pull a Koscielny/Griezmann on it but it will ultimately come down to whether Villa or Leeds can agree a fee. Leeds clearly aren’t eager to sell him but they’ll also have a price in mind at which they will change their mind and I heavily doubt it’s actually the 30 million that’s being reported.

Phillips may be a big part of that team but they could still so wonders with say 22-25 million people especially given the FFP frenzied financial environment that is the Championship at the moment.

Villa faced similar dilemmas with Grealish last summer but obviously Grealish was already much closer to the top half Premier League level then than Phillips is now.
    I think they'll hold out for a lot closer to £30m if they can't agree. After all they've already got £15m+ from sales so far so FFP issues sorted and no real need for any more big sales. I reckon both want to do a deal and the current Villa noise is a tactic to leverage what he wants,which is only £30K a week like the other top earners. That said Championship sides just can't hang onto assets in the face of Premiership wealth.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they'll hold out for a lot closer to £30m if they can't agree. After all they've already got £15m+ from sales so far so FFP issues sorted and no real need for any more big sales. I reckon both want to do a deal and the current Villa noise is a tactic to leverage what he wants,which is only £30K a week like the other top earners. That said Championship sides just can't hang onto assets in the face of Premiership wealth.
    Think you might be placing yourself inside his head too much there. I'm sure he likes Leeds and all, but like Grealish with Spurs last year, while he never kicked up a fuss, if a fee gets agreed he won't be turning that move down. He'll be wanting to prove himself in the Premier League. Leeds have a good chance of going up this year I think, but even at that, in the sh*tshow that is the Championship its like a 50% chance max at best right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

He'll be wanting to prove himself in the Premier League.

That's a good spin for doing the same job for more money and less hours.

Percy reporting the Engels move now. Says it's in discussions.

Douglas Luiz joining from Man City. Not familiar with him but based on his position I’d imagine that makes the likelihood of agreeing a fee with Leeds a lot less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Douglas Luiz joining from Man City. Not familiar with him but based on his position I’d imagine that makes the likelihood of agreeing a fee with Leeds a lot less likely.

Very highly rated at City and there’s a buyback clause for them. I think this is a deal to get them past work permit issues and so we’ll be having him for a season until that works out.

Now ideally City will get hit with a transfer ban and can’t enforce that buyback

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Very highly rated at City and there’s a buyback clause for them. I think this is a deal to get them past work permit issues and so we’ll be having him for a season until that works out.

Now ideally City will get hit with a transfer ban and can’t enforce that buyback

How does this deal get them past work permit issues though I wonder?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just got there ahead of me, has one been issued or will he be out on loan again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

He'll news to play a certain amount of games to meet the requirements of the work permit, games he wouldn't get at City but will at Villa.

Another young players, and Brazilian U23 captain, so hopefully a leader on the pitch. Anyone know is he the DM we wanted or is he in competition with Hourihane, McGinn etc

As an aside, he goes by the name Douglas, which along with our other Brazilian signing Wesley, just sounds wrong compared to the glorious Brazilian names of the past like Socrates, Pele, Juninho, Jairzinho, Zico.

Zico passes to Socrates to Pele sounds so much more exciting and exotic than Douglas kicks ball to Wesley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

The fee will help with the points system too for permit application

rebelomar wrote: »
    The fee will help with the points system too for permit application

But does he not need to get one in the first place anyway to join Villa?

Percy reporting the Engels move now. Says it's in discussions.

That's looking done as well, another U21 international, so that's 3 young international players in in 24 hours. Futures looking a lot brighter than when it was Hutton, Taylor, Jedinak, Thor and Whelan

From the sounds of it it seems more than just a 'loan' type deal to Villa. Villa will sign him permanently, and like most youngsters they sell, a buy back clause is inserted, but it'll be a permanent transfer. City are in a different position now squad wise than they were 2 years ago as well so unless he's an absolute revelation, they might not have a need for him.

Permit pending of course, the reports seem to say they are pretty confident of getting it. The 2 years at Girona will have helped I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Also the buy back clause only means Villa would need to accept a bid of the agreed amount. The player is still free to reject any move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Feel weird not knowing much about a Brazillian U-23 captain already at an English club (but I guess he has been out on loan since getting there). This would indicate that Phillips might not be signing but it is addressing a very big need Villa have, doing so fast and with a player who one would think has a lot of potential and a fellow Brazilian to help Wesley settle in. Alongside McGinn & Grealish in midfield there is a lot of potential there and I do like how many young players who can get even better we are signing - Douglas (21), Wesley (22), Konsa (21) Guilbert (24) Trezeguet (24) Hause (23) Targett (23) - Mings is actually the auld lad at 26!

Apparently talks are still ongoing for Engels (24) - 7m reported for the Belgian U-21 which kind of catches me off guard unless Chester is done from injury or one of the CBs is deployed at DM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Permits are more weighted towards fees these days so the 15m we're spending will go a long way towards securing it whereas City got him for next to nothing so had to loan out

Permits are more weighted towards fees these days so the 15m we're spending will go a long way towards securing it whereas City got him for next to nothing so had to loan out

Is that a thing? That seems bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

2 Brazilians at Villa. Long gone are the days when we missed out on Juhnino because Doug Ellis wouldn't cough up an extra 500k.

Yeah it changed a few years back, there's points allocated if you're within the top 40% of wages at your club I think it is and if you're within a certain % of the average transfer fee for the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've never seen my Villa mate so happy. He's lighting up our football chat WhatsApp group on the daily with transfer news.
    Must be an exciting time for the villains faithful!

Panthro wrote: »
    I've never seen my Villa mate so happy. He's lighting up our football chat WhatsApp group on the daily with transfer news.
    Must be an exciting time for the villains faithful!

Would be even more exciting if I knew the players in question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Today's was Douglas Luiz Brazil under 21 captain.
    Yesterdays was a Bid in for Leeds player Kevin Philips. Leeds want 30, villa offer 11.
    I'm not reading back any further!

I'd be kicked out of my friends group if I did that. Bad enough with the Bohs propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

€11m bid from Aston Villa for Trezeguet accepted.

Some bloke tweeted a picture of him and Gary Cahill, saying he was flying out to the US to meet the Villa squad.

We're trending on Twitter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

I do a few hours work, check my phone at lunch and we’ve nearly signed 3 players, it’s exciting for sure just hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Watched Douglas Luiz in the Toulon Tournament against Ireland last month and his talent was unquestionable. Very good passer.

Hadn't seen him before and according to what I've read this morning he was pretty average at Girona where he would play really well in one game and then wouldn't want to know about the next one. They were relegated last season so it was difficult for him.

Looks like the deal will be a win-win for Man City though as it appears there will be a buy-back clause similar to how they have got Angelino back from PSV. If he does well at Villa, then City will probably buy him back and if he doesn't then he is Villa's problem.

Will need to get a work-permit so the new points system like Wesley's deal will have to be achieved. To meet this, the fee and his wages should meet the quota but it will still be up to the exceptions panel to grant him one.

Good for Wesley I guess, to have another Brazillian around the club so that two of them can settle in together.

I was reading somewhere that the buy back price is high though. Saw 65 million mentioned on Twitter but this certainly wasn’t from a reputable source so could well be absolute tripe.

Is he a general midfielder of defensive midfielder? Most things I've read say general. I'd still like to get in someone who is better at the defensive side of things

matrim wrote: »
    Is he a general midfielder of defensive midfielder? Most things I've read say general. I'd still like to get in someone who is better at the defensive side of things

Defensive midfielder but capable of playing further up the field is what I've seen. Everything I've read suggests Man City had hopes for him to be a Fernandinho replacement in the long term. If what's written is to be believed he at least has the potential to be exactly what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Many of the players I'm unfamiliar with but I'm happy to trust the judgement of Smith and the scouts, the speed and efficiency of getting the signings across the line has been immaculate, I'm highly impressed at the clubs ability to get transfer deals complete in a short space of time while going under the radar, long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Jota - £2m plus Gardner
    El Ghazi - £5m
    Hause - £3m
    Wesley - £22m
    Targett - £11m raising to £14m
    Mings - £21.5m raising to £26.5m
    Konsa - £12m

Almost Completed
    Douglas Luiz - £15m
    Engels - £7m

Total - £97m

infacteh wrote: »
    Jota - £2m plus Gardner
    El Ghazi - £5m
    Hause - £3m
    Wesley - £22m
    Targett - £11m raising to £14m
    Mings - £21.5m raising to £26.5m
    Konsa - £12m

Almost Completed
    Douglas Luiz - £15m
    Engels - £7m

Total - £97m

Trezeguet almost done at 11m too I think, still a keeper and a striker needed really

What do you all reckon is the plan if Engels does indeed sign. 4 CBs signed who would all expect game time and Chester already at the club. Hause to cover LB, Konsa to do the same with DM. 3 CBs and 2 wing backs in some games. if Luiz is being signed instead of Phillips maybe there is a few extra million in to get a GK or CF as he would have likely cost closer to 20m minimum.

Depends on how Chester is, he sounds like he's fairly damaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Surely not going to play 3 at the back. Good to have cover there with mings and Chester so injury prone.

4-2-3-1 or some varient of it. Dont like the 532/352 but it does bring me back to the days of Charles and wright as our attacking wing backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Think you might be placing yourself inside his head too much there. I'm sure he likes Leeds and all, but like Grealish with Spurs last year, while he never kicked up a fuss, if a fee gets agreed he won't be turning that move down. He'll be wanting to prove himself in the Premier League. Leeds have a good chance of going up this year I think, but even at that, in the sh*tshow that is the Championship its like a 50% chance max at best right?
    He doesn't want a lot, just to match the £30K or so that Bamford and Casilla are getting. Match that and he'll sign a new contract. I think it's a negotiating ploy by the agent. It's also getting quite late in this window for protracted negotiations. Judging by the latest Villa shopping he doesn't seem such a priority. The initial derisory offer to me shows they weren't all that serious and I don't see them coming up anywhere close to what Leeds will accept but anything is possible.

Surely not going to play 3 at the back. Good to have cover there with mings and Chester so injury prone.

4-2-3-1 or some varient of it. Dont like the 532/352 but it does bring me back to the days of Charles and wright as our attacking wing backs.

There was some really awful seasons playing 5 at the back. I remember Saunders being top scorer with 9 goals one year.

We were consistently super at the back though.

Robinson rumour is gathering legs now. Hes been good at Preston up until Neil took over but he has found his level.

is_that_so wrote: »
    He doesn't want a lot, just to match the £30K or so that Bamford and Casilla are getting. Match that and he'll sign a new contract. I think it's a negotiating ploy by the agent. It's also getting quite late in this window for protracted negotiations. Judging by the latest Villa shopping he doesn't seem such a priority. The initial derisory offer to me shows they weren't all that serious and I don't see them coming up anywhere close to what Leeds will accept but anything is possible.
    Again, I think it’s a lot to claim to know exactly what he wants. A whole load of scenarios come into play but I think with us signing the City lad, us having a bid accepted probably won’t end up being one of the scenarios that come up to test his will to stay.

I wouldn't be surprised if kosna was signed as backup this year with a view to being a starter next year

LeBash wrote: »
    There was some really awful seasons playing 5 at the back. I remember Saunders being top scorer with 9 goals one year.

We were consistently super at the back though.

Robinson rumour is gathering legs now. Hes been good at Preston up until Neil took over but he has found his level.

Sheffield Utd signed Robinson.

matrim wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if kosna was signed as backup this year with a view to being a starter next year

Would be surprised if that wasn’t the case. He will have to earn his way in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That Trezeguet lad came to my attention last year just before and during the World Cup. There was a lot to like about him apart from his final ball which let him down. Lots of energy and he can beat players, just needs to improve that final ball and you have got yourselves a real good one.
    He played as a winger/attacking mid for Egypt.

I think Konsa could surprise some, I would expect him to be a serious contender for that position alongside Mings from the get go.

Sheffield Utd signed Robinson.

That's some lazy journalism, article posted 40 mins ago says hes on the way to Villa. Not a bad signing for them. Sharp has plenty of mileage on the clock and Mcgoldrick isn't much younger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement