Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Hourihane has signed a new contract, no mention of how long just says on official site it's an extension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Patser wrote: »
    Hourihane has signed a new contract, no mention of how long just says on official site it's an extension

Well done to him, feel as though he earned that over the playoffs if nothing else. There is a role for him in the Premier League even though I hope the competition signed will be good enough that it’s not as a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The Engel has landed.
    Surely ye will hit 150 million spend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Panthro wrote: »
    The Engel has landed.
    Surely ye will hit 150 million spend

If Ruiz is also confirmed I think that pushes us over 100m and the Egyptian Trezeguet would make it over 110m but after that I am only expecting maybe 2 more (GK and maybe a forward), unless that keeper is Butland I doubt we will hit 150m but I'd be very happy if we do as that'd mean another close to 40m spent on those two positions. Butland & Maupay would make up that amount from those linked for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Maupay was withdrawn from Brentford's friendly due to 'uncertainty about his future'

I'd say it'll be either Sheff Utd or Villa he ends up at.

Corholio wrote: »
    Maupay was withdrawn from Brentford's friendly due to 'uncertainty about his future'

I'd say it'll be either Sheff Utd or Villa he ends up at.

With them having signed Robinson I guess it increases the likelihood it will be us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Maupay is a real fox in the box, majority of his goals were inside the 6 yard box, scores similar goals to Tammy in that regard, obviously gets in dangerous positions and decent movement.

Scored 3 against us last season.

Complete opposite to the style of Wesley, and would compliment him too if played together. More of a replacement for Scott Hogan I'd say, and if we could send him back in the deal, it would be even better again.

Douglas Luiz posted a video online of him walking through a mall in Minnesota, where Villa are playing, so that looks definitely on.

Mings suddenly doesn’t seem so expensive at all if those Dunk and Maguire prices are correct.

• Advertisement

Bjorn Engels has been training with the team in Minnesota. As Corholio also pointed out Luiz has been in Minnesota over the past few days too which seems like too much of a coincidence.

It has also been reported that Villa put in a bid (either £9 or £11m) for Marvelous Nakamba. It was rejected but he is now being reported as trying to force the move. He started following Villa on Instagram (personally I don't care but it got mentioned in a few articles) and is mates with Wesley. Brugge supposidly wanted a similar fee to that we paid for Wesley (close to 20m) but might be willing to sell for around 15m given how he has responded to the current bid being rejected.

Villa do need to replace Whelan & Jedinak and 30m for Phillips was said to be too much with it being reported Villa actually bid 11m and recently I read that they were also willing to offer a player to sweeten the deal but not the money Leeds want. bidding a similar number for the 25yr old Zimbabwean might suggest Villa are looking to bring in 2 CDM to replace the two released. Not a fan of a player going on strike to get a move but it'd be a very nice signing imo (despite again not knowing a whole lot about the lad before this summer) as it'd mean competition / an ability to rotate in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Bjorn Engels has been training with the team in Minnesota. As Corholio also pointed out Luiz has been in Minnesota over the past few days too which seems like too much of a coincidence.

It has also been reported that Villa put in a bid (either £9 or £11m) for Marvelous Nakamba. It was rejected but he is now being reported as trying to force the move. He started following Villa on Instagram (personally I don't care but it got mentioned in a few articles) and is mates with Wesley. Brugge supposidly wanted a similar fee to that we paid for Wesley (close to 20m) but might be willing to sell for around 15m given how he has responded to the current bid being rejected.

Villa do need to replace Whelan & Jedinak and 30m for Phillips was said to be too much with it being reported Villa actually bid 11m and recently I read that they were also willing to offer a player to sweeten the deal but not the money Leeds want. bidding a similar number for the 25yr old Zimbabwean might suggest Villa are looking to bring in 2 CDM to replace the two released. Not a fan of a player going on strike to get a move but it'd be a very nice signing imo (despite again not knowing a whole lot about the lad before this summer) as it'd mean competition / an ability to rotate in that position.

Philip's deal is dead. He signed a 3 year contract a few days ago but has a release clause if Leeds dont get promoted next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Delph signed with Everton from City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd guess that would mean getting rid at least one of Lansbury or Thor.

matrim wrote: »
    I'd guess that would mean getting rid at least one of Lansbury or Thor.

Hopefully both.

Douglas Luiz granted work permit.

Delph to Everton for £8m is a really good bit of business for them.

I'd of taken him back, good attitude on the pitch, winning mentality, exactly the type of player we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

LeBash wrote: »
    Philip's deal is dead. He signed a 3 year contract a few days ago but has a release clause if Leeds dont get promoted next season.
    It was never on IMO, another one of those rumours to get a better deal.

Haven’t seen anything about Phillips signing back with Leeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CSF wrote: »
    Haven’t seen anything about Phillips signing back with Leeds?
    Coming up as rumours but rumours saying in the next few days he will. Specific on the one year release clause in the event of non-promotion.

Esse85 wrote: »

I'd of taken him back, good attitude on the pitch, winning mentality, exactly the type of player we need.

It's a great price for him and tbh I'd have taken him back too but I'd imagine his wages are nowhere near as low and would be a major issue for a club like Villa

Esse85 wrote: »

It's a great price for him and tbh I'd have taken him back too but I'd imagine his wages are nowhere near as low and would be a major issue for a club like Villa
    Is it actually a great price given the wages you’ll have to take on? I wouldn’t think so myself. Feels like a lad who is older in the body than his 29 years, given his injury record.

• Advertisement

Phillips hasn't signed that deal yet but I don't think it'll happen now with the Luiz signing. I do think it was on though, I don't buy that it was all for a new contract. He'd have gone if Villa paid the fee imo, which was too much.

The Trezeguet deal sounding like it might be dead, has returned to club with no deal agreed. That Nakamba link been there all summer, hard to say if that's a genuine one. I think there'll be a fair bit more business and nearer the end of the window probably a loan or two as well. Some local Birmingham journo's mentioning that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lampard letting Ampadu out on loan. Villa keen apparently

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's a pass for me, wouldn't be an improvement on what we have and not one for the future if it's a loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would that be the end of Tuanzebe going back on loan for a season?

Proper battle as to who starts beside Mings now.

Again I haven't heard of him before but the club have been so great at not getting into bidding wars and getting deals done, so refreshing to be getting signings in early rather than 3 games after the season has started.

I'm sure there'll be another couple yet, along with a couple of outgoings.

'....I'm loving Engels instead' is one already :P.

I think Utd might not decide on Tuanzebe till late and Villa can't wait that long I'm sure. I think that's the end of the centre halves. Another winger, striker, keeper and perhaps DM (besides Luiz) is probably needed.

That seems mad to say when so much business has been done already.

What's really good is that we're getting all these lads in now, before even 1st preseason game, and with minimal fuss. Look at Utds Maguire bid dragging on and on, instead we've a rebuilt squad all training together with still weeks to go.

And they all some to be young and hungry to prove what they're worth, delighted to have been selected by Villa and to be given chance in Premier League - very little baggage or laurels to rest on

Don't think I'd be in favour now of going after Tuanzebe unless its with a guaranteed permanent fee in the deal. He was good last year but he is a risk moving up to Premier League level anyway, so why not take the risk on the new signings instead.

Mings, Chester, Hause, Konza and Engels is plenty of cover for this position. If we've saved anything going for Konza, Engel and Luiz instead of some of the more expensive names that have been linked, it'd be nice to able to use that for going for the guys that appeared to be the first choice moves in other areas ie. Butland, Benrahma, Maupay (maybe even Abraham)

• Advertisement

Smith said today 'A lot of the players we have been linked with we haven't even spoken about'

There'll be a few more surprises I'd say. Wesley news came out the day he initially signed, Jota the day before he signed, Engels news was only a few days ago, the Luiz news came out when he was already travelling over to the US.

On another note, there's a photo of Engels chatting to Terry over in the US and he's taller than him. It's a pretty powerful team in the air with him, Mings, Hause and Wesley.

https://youtu.be/bFudZAbkwkc

Engels interview here.

He'd a very good goal scoring record while at Brugge.
    Doesn't look the strongest physically for his height, hoping the strength and conditioning coach works alongside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Cool, I'm on an overnight shift, so that's background entertainment if not busy sorted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

'....I'm loving Engels instead' is one already :P.

I think Utd might not decide on Tuanzebe till late and Villa can't wait that long I'm sure. I think that's the end of the centre halves. Another winger, striker, keeper and perhaps DM (besides Luiz) is probably needed.

That seems mad to say when so much business has been done already.

And if Man U, were to offer us Tuanzebe, I think I might say maybe.

I'm loving Engels instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

There isnt room for tuanzebe now..we have 5 centre backs,latest im hearing is that a top 6 club have come in for luiz,he was expected to sign today and appear at kit unveiling,villa were mystified why he flew to london on such a short notice,as apparently his work visa was issued..very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Can't see City sanctioning that, he's meannt to be very highly regarded by Pep and a Top 6 move would mean no buy back you'd imagine

I don't think there's anything clear either way in the Luiz situation, it could just also be protocol. I haven't seen anywhere reliable that he flew to London specifically, all the reports said he flew 'home'. From Villa side people who might have an idea on twitter, they said it's still going ahead as far as they know.

• Advertisement

Surely Villa applied for the work permit on his behalf and thus it's only valid if he signs for the club. Anyone else would have to restart the process.

First half team v Minnesota at 1am Irish time.

Bizarrely it looks like it's only available to stream in Minnesota and the UK, and nowhere else. That's on Minnesota's site.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1151627801356918784?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

First half team v Minnesota at 1am Irish time.

Bizarrely it looks like it's only available to stream in Minnesota and the UK, and nowhere else

Hopefully it'll be ok, they're American and probably think Ireland is in the UK

Stream working for me

Camera angle is shocking, high in a corner back past stand (so half blocked) - like someone on a cherry picker trying to peak in.

American anthem singer enjoyed his moment - right up to 11 he went

Great goal from Jack. Some strike.

Great goal from Jack. Some strike.

Did you see it? The official stream was showing replays of a Minnesota attack that Steer had saved, while commentator was shouting what a strike by Grealish, nothing keeper could do....

1st half - very much friendly mode, and weather looks very hot judging by amount of sweat on jersies (which look lovely with no sponsor or names on them, old school claret and blue and just numbers)

Steer - in action a few times and looking composed

Bree - missing so often, massive space behind him
    Hause, Kansa - caught out a few times trying tricks but look to have speed and strength
    Targett - looks good. Composed on ball and linking well with El Ghazi and Grealish, getting forward a lot, into box once or twice

Hourihane- on his own as holding mid, good with ball but often swamped without
    El Ghazi and Grealish on left- constant threat and Targett helping
    Jota and O'Hare in right - poor. Jota is trying, and is being everywhere but often headless, O'Hare offering little, Bree not helping.

Wesley - huge looking lad, almost curled in a screamer early on, and in a straight sprint looks amazing (Young Gabby) in speed. But so far isolated and hasn't had any real chance to show exactly what he can do.

• Advertisement

Saw the goal on twitter from different angle, stream had actually frozen for me on my end.

I thought Jota did well, very natural on the ball. Lovely nutmeg pass to Bree during half as well. Hard to be too judging of players though. I think O'Hare needs a very good pre season though, looks fairly well off it in that half. Targett impressed I thought too.

2-0 Lansbury. Great work from Guilbert down the right, have liked the look of him in this half.

Edit: 3-0 Bjarnason, great cross from Green.

2nd half had completely different team out, Minnesota knackered as they are midseason and wouldn't play key players, so much more of stroll

Kalinic - Solid but little to do
    Guilbert- very good, has a bit of McGinn about him, especially in nicking ball and run to set up 2nd
    Chester - great to see back, could have scored and made great block. He could still have a big role
    Mings - still a bit on holiday, occasionally lackadaisical
    Taylor - still Taylor (bad thing)

McGinn - still McGinn (good thing)
    Bjarnason - great diving header, Whelan like in midfield
    Lansbury - solid and great volley for 2nd
    Green - ran everywhere, messy at times then great cross for Bjarnason
    Davis - somehow ended up on wing a lot taking on defenders, blatantly fouled for peno not given

Hogan - still Hogan, lots of running and sniffs of chances, no goals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Jota seemed to create several chances for Wesley looking at those highlights including a lovely ball over the top.

Could Bjarnason slot into the Whelan role?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement