Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Esse85 wrote: »
    He's 24 in September, will he still qualify as a "young player", I presume so if the bookies are quoting him.

23 or under at start of the season, so should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some Welsh media are reporting that Villa and Newcastle both want Harry Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    Some Welsh media are reporting that Villa and Newcastle both want Harry Wilson.

Happy enough to let Bruce have him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I honestly still think Villa are in for a new GK and players in the position of the Brentford duoe (Benrahma & Maupay) before the window closes and if those are signed we should see a few players leave - 1GK, Thor, maybe Green/Bree/other young players on loan or Scott Hogan if a striker is signed. However as things stand a 25 man squad for Villa could be something like this

GK (2):
    L Kalanic
    Jed Steer
    O Nyland (in reserve)

DEF (10):
    James Bree
    James Chester
    Ahmed Elmohamady
    Björn Engels
    Frederic Guilbert
    Kortney Hause
    Ezri Konsa
    Tyrone Mings
    Matt Targett
    Neil Taylor

MID (10):
    Marvelous Nakamba
    Anwar El Ghazi
    Jack Grealish (c)
    Conor Hourihane
    Jota
    H Lansbury
    James McGinn
    MH Trezeguet
    Douglas Luiz
    Andre Green

ST (3):
    Scott Hogan
    Jonathan Kodjia
    Wesley Moraes

Surplus / Youth
    B Bjarnason, A Tshibola
    Douglas, O'Hare, Suliman, Doyle-Hayes, Hepburn-Murphy, Davis
    abR1rv3anC.png

Chester for me is backup to Mings atm
    Konsa & Engels fighting it out for the other starting spot
    Chester/Hause as the cup CB pairing

El Ghazi to be pushing Trezeguet to his best hopefully and rotate in some games
    Hourihane a good offensive option from the bench / replaces McGinn or Grealish in cup games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Nyland as it stands is probably be behind Steer and Kalinic will be sold I'd say.

I cant see Hogan or Kodjia going, both were on big pay increases if we went up. I'd keep O'Hare as well. He looked good in the 20 mins against Walsal. First 5 mins he got a lot of the ball and his movement into the box and chasing down was excellent after that. Pity he didn't get any clean passes into his feet.

Getting Hourihane into the team will be tough, even off the bench but his set pieces will cause teams problems. 12 assists and 8 goals from 46 games (11 of those off the bench) is not something we have in the squad at the moment. Grealish and McGinn look great but they dont have that type of impact on a game, but they are both much better on the ball.

McGinn, Grealish and El Ghazi are the 3 biggest wasters over set pieces since Westwood and when you see some of the quality on the moving ball it's hard to understand why they cant do it at dead ball.

• Advertisement

Wesley injured?

CSF wrote: »
    Wesley injured?

Apparently had a runout in a behind closed doors friendly against Kuwait and picked up a slight knock.

Apparently had a runout in a behind closed doors friendly against Kuwait and picked up a slight knock.

As long as that’s all it is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Stunning team goal.

Lots of one touch pass and moves, ball ended up at the feet of Grealish, he poked it through to El Ghazi to score.

1-0 at half time on YouTube.

Lovely passing again and nice finish by Green.

• Advertisement

2-0 Villa

Grealish with the assist for Green with a calm finish.

3-0 McGinn with a strike from outside the box.

3rd goal from McGinn. Good to see him shooting from there, probably doesn't do it enough.

If Davis can develop a goal scoring instinct he'll be a very good player. His hold up play and awareness of players around him is really good. He just doesn't look threatening enough to be playing up front.

If Davis can develop a goal scoring instinct he'll be a very good player. His hold up play and awareness of players around him is really good. He just doesn't look threatening enough to be playing up front.

Yeah i was hoping he'd score today, it would really boost his confidence, he does a lot of things well, I think going out on loan to a championship club and starting games would really benefit him.

Messi like goal from McGinn there.

What a goal by McGinn. Ridiculous. Skating around Charlton players and keeper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I honestly still think Villa are in for a new GK and players in the position of the Brentford duoe (Benrahma & Maupay) before the window closes and if those are signed we should see a few players leave - 1GK, Thor, maybe Green/Bree/other young players on loan or Scott Hogan if a striker is signed. However as things stand a 25 man squad for Villa could be something like this

GK (2):
    L Kalanic
    Jed Steer
    O Nyland (in reserve)

DEF (10):
    James Bree
    James Chester
    Ahmed Elmohamady
    Björn Engels
    Frederic Guilbert
    Kortney Hause
    Ezri Konsa
    Tyrone Mings
    Matt Targett
    Neil Taylor

MID (10):
    Marvelous Nakamba
    Anwar El Ghazi
    Jack Grealish (c)
    Conor Hourihane
    Jota
    H Lansbury
    James McGinn
    MH Trezeguet
    Douglas Luiz
    Andre Green

ST (3):
    Scott Hogan
    Jonathan Kodjia
    Wesley Moraes

Surplus / Youth
    B Bjarnason, A Tshibola
    Douglas, O'Hare, Suliman, Doyle-Hayes, Hepburn-Murphy, Davis
    abR1rv3anC.png

Chester for me is backup to Mings atm
    Konsa & Engels fighting it out for the other starting spot
    Chester/Hause as the cup CB pairing

El Ghazi to be pushing Trezeguet to his best hopefully and rotate in some games
    Hourihane a good offensive option from the bench / replaces McGinn or Grealish in cup games

Sorry for hijacking this for FPL purposes :pac: - but, how likely is it that Taylor and Elmohamady are both dropped this season? They seem to have been nailed on last season.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking this for FPL purposes :pac: - but, how likely is it that Taylor and Elmohamady are both dropped this season? They seem to have been nailed on last season.

New full backs on both sides brought in this season. Targett will almost certainly be starting left back whereas Elmo and Guilbert will probably be battling it out for a while. Guilbert has looked very impressive in pre season, although wouldn't be shocked to see Elmo start the season there initially, for his experience.

I honestly think that early on, it’s tricky to call in both fullback positions. Think Guilbert is probably in the better position with Elmohamady having come back later from AFCON.

George Boateng is back at the club as U-18's assistant manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

LeBash wrote: »
    33/1

Cheers for that, i'll be putting some money on this for sure. I think that's a great bet.

He seems to have bulked up a bit more in pre season and he will at last have some good skilful players around him which will make him a far more dangerous player.

Perin apparently getting another offer. Just reading though that he has a shoulder injury that killed his deal to Benfica but he is out for 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Heaton to sign for £8 million according to the Telegraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Not as exciting as Butland or Walter Benitez would have been but that's a position that's plagued us for years now in a safe pair of hand for the next 3/4 years easy so I'm happy with that.

Delighted its Heaton and not Hart. Burnley are hoarding decent keepers there.

8 million plus add ons believed to be 500k.

Good signing, safe goalkeeper without being spectacular, a bit like what I would have thought of Friedel before he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

I feel sorry for Steer, he's waited his time, never moaned and when his chance finally came last year stood up and became a hero - looked solid too. Curious he got a long contract extension while club was reportedly bidding up £30 million to replace him.

That's great news if Heaton signs.

Just need another striker now and that would be it I'd guess.
    Would be happy to see Thor leave, Kodjia or Hogan too, maybe send Green and Davis out on loan.

Patser wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Steer, he's waited his time, never moaned and when his chance finally came last year stood up and became a hero - looked solid too. Curious he got a long contract extension while club was reportedly bidding up £30 million to replace him.

Premier League level is a big jump. His task now is to rise to the level and outperform Heaton in the process. Taylor, Elmohamady and Hourihane face similar challenges.

But that’s what competition should be, a challenge. Any of the lads who feel they’ve been replaced, are not the kinds of lads I would have been betting on to handle the jump in level.

A lot of Burnley fans are very disappointed he is gone. Considering what English players cost and what keepers cost, it could be a very good signing. It's also the first time in a while with a keeper signing that it's not being much of a gamble with the likes of Kalinic, Gollini, Moreira, Nyland the last 4 keepers to sign permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Esse85 wrote: »
    That's great news if Heaton signs.

Just need another striker now and that would be it I'd guess.
    Would be happy to see Thor leave, Kodjia or Hogan too, maybe send Green and Davis out on loan.

I think the Villa management are better equipped to make a judgement than I am but I'd be making Brentford an offer for Maupay and or Benerhama. As part of the deal I'd offer some combination of Taylor, Bree, Thor, Lansbury or Hogan on permanent, Hepburn Murphy, O'Hare, Doyle Hayes, Green and Davies on loan.

I'd probably keep Kodjia for now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

A lot of Burnley fans are very disappointed he is gone. Considering what English players cost and what keepers cost, it could be a very good signing. It's also the first time in a while with a keeper signing that it's not being much of a gamble with the likes of Kalinic, Gollini, Moreira, Nyland the last 4 keepers to sign permanently.

I'd def agree with that and it's probably why I feel secure that this one won't go sideways too. His return to Burnley's side coincided with Burnley's run of games without defeat and them staying up iirc. Not saying he kept them up but I have seen Burnley fan's saying he was one of the factors in their turn around. Also despite me perhaps having Butland as 1st choice it is probably good to have such an experienced head in there among what is primarily a pretty young group now

Confirm Nakamba & sign another striker and this really will be a great window in terms of building a squad. Lot's of those players could go either way bu t as much as they were needed I never thought Villa would recruit so many in one go.

Speaking of a forward, Maupay is back being linked again especially after Sheff Utd who were also interested in him look to have done a £18m deal that will bring Oliver McBurnie to Bramall Lane instead of him. He would be my preference for that striker position too as not only could he play the striker role but also the RW role, allowing Jota to be rotated. Also that RW spot is the same position Benrahma/Phillips play who were both also linked recently so maybe a position Villa also want to fill. Plus he's still only 22 and most likely can improve further still.

Some rumours that Villa are pursuing a mystery striker that would break the clubs transfer record again and is 'ambitious'. Maupay is said to be Plan B to this.

Dan Bardell from the Villa View podcast is one of the guys who's said he has heard this.

Probably that lad from Benfica that's been rumoured for a while. I'd prefer Maupay myself. At least we know he can do it in England. Could end up with 2 strikers who cant do it in England that both broke the club record.

Tom Heaton deal is complete.

Solid signing that, I'm pleased we've a proven, reliable and experienced keeper on board.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Marvelous signed.

• Advertisement

Just a striker needed now. Have to be odds on to win the league at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

I cant keep track of all these lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

We are being linked now with every 40m striker in europe now haha.Plan A was leao and Plan B was maupay..leao gone to AC milan.
    Im not convinced on Maupay signing either,rumour of dries mertens being approached on twitter..now that would be madness!

It could be pretty much anyone, most deals this summer have been pretty much done by the time it's got in the media, with only permits etc holding up the official announcements. When I read that Villa were being linked to a big striker, Belotti was someone who first came to mind, although that may be too big of a one to pull off.

Great business done so far though, with all the releases and loans gone back, to have 11 players signed permanently is superb, even though I think the first few months could be a bit rocky while everyone beds in.

I dunno if it’s gonna be someone of the reputation of Belotti or Mertens. Having already signed Wesley for a record breaking fee.

Someone like Maupay or Tammy (if he becomes available) sounds more like it.

• Advertisement

Ps Do we dare revert to olden times and run a Villa boards FPL league?

Where all entrants pay 10 euro which then purchases a voucher for the Villa club shop to be won by the winner?

Green going on loan to Preston it looks like. I think he needs a move like that. He did play a lot in pre season so will be interesting if someone else comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Where all entrants pay 10 euro which then purchases a voucher for the Villa club shop to be won by the winner?

I’d do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Count me in

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I’d do it
    If there was even 7 or 8 people interested I'd be happy to collect the cash/buy the voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Up for it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I'm in

Jake Doyle-Hayes going to Cheltenham on loan.

Sky reporting Villa want 2 more in before the deadline. Would love if the Benrahma deal could be done.

Seems like Douglas Luiz is joining up with squad tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

CSF wrote:

CSF wrote:

Count me in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement