Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Corholio wrote: »
    Mbaye Diagne the latest name linked. Senegalese striker with Galatasaray.

Interesting character to try and judge. 27 years old and has already been playing in China and only 6 months ago got his move to the biggest club he has played for in Galatasaray (he didn't play a game when he was on Juve's books several years ago).

That said it is hard to argue with his goals to games ratio (Career total 147games 98goals), in particular his past year in Turkey where he scroed 30 goals in 29 games. Half of that year was not at Galatasaray too as he had been playing alongside Trezeguet at Kasımpaşa.

At the mooted 12m fee he could prove a bargain especially when you see some of the fees being thrown around (think I saw a similar fee in a story today for Dybala's agent) but who knows if there is even substance behind that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ya I think this week there will be agents touting players everywhere so will be a lot of dud links. Turkish league isn't great so hard to judge his quality if the link is real.

Benrahma was training with Brentford today as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That recent goal scoring record is crazy to be fair

Hogan going on loan to Stoke it seems, Villa reported to have replacements lined up.

Douglas Luiz was granted his visa last night, he is flying to the UK today (Brazilian time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice earrings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

McGinn signed a new 5 year deal. Hopefully theres no release clauses in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Get Jack a new one now and get his release clause removed

Smith confirmed in press conference no other players in today, may be some out.

Maybe a bit worried about striking options if Wesley doesn't bed in quick but style of play does mean goals can come from a few places. Hopefully Kodj can step up as well when needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Judging from comments he's expecting goal contributions from midfield.

• Advertisement

The hold up on Douglas Luiz's move was his passport delayed in returning to him, nothing to do with permit.

How does everyone see the team lining up for Spurs then?

My guess:

Heaton.

Elmo. Engels. Mings Targett.

Jota. Grealish. McGinn. Hourihane. El-Ghazi.

Wesley.

Could be Guilbert for Elmo but I think for the first game he might go for experience. Trezeguet for Jota possible too, he looks pacier too and he might use that for tracking back etc.

The hold up on Douglas Luiz's move was his passport delayed in returning to him, nothing to do with permit.

How does everyone see the team lining up for Spurs then?

My guess:

Heaton.

Elmo. Engels. Mings Targett.

Jota. Grealish. McGinn. Hourihane. El-Ghazi.

Wesley.

Could be Guilbert for Elmo but I think for the first game he might go for experience. Trezeguet for Jota possible too, he looks pacier too and he might use that for tracking back etc.

Is El Ghazi fit? He was down a long time and hobbled off against RB Leipzig. Either way, he was poor in that game.

Smith confirmed in press conference no other players in today, may be some out.

Maybe a bit worried about striking options if Wesley doesn't bed in quick but style of play does mean goals can come from a few places. Hopefully Kodj can step up as well when needed.

Can't complain too much given how the window has gone but that's a pity. Was getting excited about the ikes of the lad from Galatasaray, Ben Yedder, Benhrama. The fact that they were still in for players until now though means we might be active again in January.

I'd be starting Guilbert & Trezequet myself and wouldn't be surprised to see one of our DM signings getting 30m vs Spurs

Can't complain too much given how the window has gone but that's a pity. Was getting excited about the ikes of the lad from Galatasaray, Ben Yedder, Benhrama. The fact that they were still in for players until now though means we might be active again in January.

I'd be starting Guilbert & Trezequet myself and wouldn't be surprised to see one of our DM signings getting 30m vs Spurs

Smith mentioned January as well if they felt they needed someone. I could see Benrahma being a possibility then, reports saying he was a top target at start of the summer. Could see Nakamba starting if he's up to speed, he sounds much more of whats needed there than Hourihane away to Spurs.

I'd expect Guilbert and Jota to start, they both had good pre seasons

Bree to Luton on loan supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bit disappointed. Thought Benrahama was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

JPA wrote: »
    Bit disappointed. Thought Benrahama was happening.

This, would also be majorly worried if Wesley picked up an injury or doesn't hit the ground running.

Kodjia is not good enough to deliver on the PL stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Thor released by mutual agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd like another striker and another winger. Otherwise happy enough. I'd be aiming for a nice boring 13th - 15th place finish (well clear of trouble).

Esse85 wrote: »
    This, would also be majorly worried if Wesley picked up an injury or doesn't hit the ground running.

Kodjia is not good enough to deliver on the PL stage.

Hard to argue with the amount of players we got in and the timing of getting them in.

Nobody has back up everywhere and if a striker is willing to sit on the bench, hes not good enough for the PL, De Jesus and Origi probably being 2 of the very few exceptions. An in form Kodjia is probably about the weight of a back up striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd like another striker and another winger. Otherwise happy enough. I'd be aiming for a nice boring 13th - 15th place finish (well clear of trouble).

Ballax. Take up uniteds spot in top six.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

After spending so much would that really keep the owners happy?

sc86 wrote: »

I think it's realistic if not a little ambitious, money doesn't guarantee success. I'm mildly optimistic about the season but you can pick holes in the squad if you look at it objectively.

This season should be a consolidation season. Yes we've spent a lot but we had to spend a good chunk of it just to keep the squad together.

• Advertisement

I'd hope they'd be absolutely fine with a 15th place finish, I know I would be. Long term view is what's needed to build ourselves up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I think looking at the teams around us 10th - 12th is a very realistic target

Some really poor teams in the bottom half.

Key is not to get spanked by Spurs and the next 6 or 7 games are winnable decent points tally by new year and we can kick on with relegation monkey of our back.

Sheff Utd, Norwich, Brighton, Newcastle, Southampton, Burnley & Palace are poor teams we should easily finish above

Staying up should be all that matters imo. I am confident that there are enough weaker teams in the league that Villa can do that but especially in the first few months while the side is still gelling the expectations will need to be kept in check. If they are in any kind of battle at the bottom heading into January though it is good to know that the club were already to invest more on a couple of big signings.

Course minimum hope for season is to stay up for sure , but with level of investment and more to come in january id would hope for mid table , there is some really bad teams at the bottom , while we are no wolves they have shown what can be done with correct investment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

If Wesley gets injured then we are looking at a very threadbare attacking force. Kodjia has not done it for 2 years and Davis is not a goal scorer at championship level.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    If Wesley gets injured then we are looking at a very threadbare attacking force. Kodjia has not done it for 2 years and Davis is not a goal scorer at championship level.

That's our main worry. Wesley either getting injured or not performing. Most other positions we have at least ok cover but I wouldn't trust our cover up front.

The only up side is that we did get a decent amount of goals from other areas of the team last year and if we can keep that up some of the pressure is off Wesley.

Staying up should be the target and I hope fans are somewhat reasonable as the season goes on. Villa will lose a good few games this season, it's just how it will be, some possibly in the first few weeks. Making Villa Park a tough place to come to will be key, most promoted teams who do well become tough to beat at home. Because of the way the team plays, points should be obtainable in quite a lot of away games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sure,

Roll on tomorrow !

Interesting article from Percy about Villa's summer. Apparently Villa bid for Webster the day after the play off final but it was rejected. He's since signed for Brighton of course. Villa then bought Engels for a third of what Bristol City wanted for Webster.

https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1159855536625672192?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Balls, pay wall. Can't believe season starts tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Heading to the game tomorrow. Sitting in the Spurs end. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

remoteboy wrote: »
    Heading to the game tomorrow. Sitting in the Spurs end. Can’t wait.

Same here though I'll be in the Villa end.

Looking forward to seeing their new ground, a Villa win and the start of a new chapter in our history.

A bit corny I know but lets get completely carried away with the occasion and indulge ourselves.

'That's it . . . the fallen giants are back on their feet. Aston Villa one of the great clubs in English football return to the elite . . . and Dean Smith a man steeped in the cause has guided them there. '

https://twitter.com/i/status/1133116027464818688

Interesting lineup. Taylor, Elmo and Trezeguet all start. Luiz on bench, no Marvelous or Guilbert in squad.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1160211750454747137?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

I don't think its a gigantic shock that he has stuck with many of the lads who went on a 10 game winning run and won the playoffs. Plenty of time to integrate the newbies.

Shocked taylor playing !

• Advertisement

Shocked taylor playing !

And Hourihane, thought he would start with one of the 2 new lads but his frees and corners against Leipzig were top notch.

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think its a gigantic shock that he has stuck with many of the lads who went on a 10 game winning run and won the playoffs. Plenty of time to integrate the newbies.

Ya I think first few games of the season can be like that, trying to leverage experience and those that are already well integrated. Away to Spurs probably wasn't the ideal game either with new signings. Hopefully Taylor and Hourihane can have solid games. Those two bring the most worry in their positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Nakamba and Guilbert not on the bench. Nakamba is looking like a strange signing when we had Luiz and Hourihane already for the DM spot.

Panrich wrote: »
    Nakamba and Guilbert not on the bench. Nakamba is looking like a strange signing when we had Luiz and Hourihane already for the DM spot.
    I don't think Hourihane's spot in this squad will be the DM spot. I think the only reason he plays there today is because Luiz and Nakamba haven't been much of a part of the pre-season. Hourihane will be Grealish and McGinn's backup IMO, because there isn't really anyone else there.

Unless we expect Lansbury to see minutes. Which I don't.

That is a seriously depleted Spurs team by the way. You've got Lo Celso, Son, Eriksen, Alli, Aurier, Vertonghen, Sessegnon all to come into the equation later.

Worth a mention that they don't have a proper striker on the bench either for if anything happens Kane here.

You won't get easy games away to Spurs but this is about as weakened as anyone will play them all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Strange lineup from DS

Super John.

Super finish from McGinn!

Super finish from McGinn!

Great ball by Grealish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thought it was mings long ball

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement