Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Don't like Wesley's playacting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

chases0102 wrote: »

I have been thinking this too, he looks a good way off pace and a little disinterested too if i'm being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

chases0102 wrote: »

Agreed. Not what villa need, can’t afford to carry a player who loses interest when everything doesn’t go his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Can we get refund on wesly please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah can't be too harsh on Wesley yet. He's not feeding off much ball and today won't be the common style over the season. Lone striker types always need more time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would consider Targett on at HT. We're getting slaughtered up that side.

Not impressed by Wesley either, but its 45 mins into the sseason lads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

kilburn wrote: »
    Thought it was mings long ball

I'm sitting a mile away from TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

We need to switch elmo as he is being slaughtered on that wing,and taylor is playing with fire as well..wesley needs a good dose of reality in the premiership...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd like to see us going to a 5-3-2, the back 4 are doing a great job but I think Spurs will change it up and having an extra body in the back line might be needed. Grealish looking good and delighted McGinn signed 5 years.

Thought Taylor did well in that half. Spurs have a lot of ball on the sides but they go back and then infield a lot, Taylor has held alright. It's more the frequency of attack coming onto him that could prove troublesome.

Hourihane doing a lot of good work as well in that half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Looks like McGinn is going to be the guy getting mentioned first when the media talk about villa, the 50m link to Utd through his grandad Ferguson and The Sun will probably pop back up a good bit too.

Engels too is deservedly getting the plaudits at the moment but can’t keep giving people like Kane opportunities, Spurs are capable of better

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Surely VAR gives a peno for that foul on McGinn?

Engels too is deservedly getting the plaudits at the moment but can’t keep giving people like Kane opportunities, Spurs are capable of better
    All 3 of the back 4 have been so shaky with the exception of Engels IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Taylor keeps getting sucked in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Trezeguet looks like hes gasing already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Could just as easily of been El Ghazi coming off.

Look forward to the integration of our new full backs even though things are good at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

LeBash wrote: »
    Trezeguet looks like hes gasing already.

Jota on, I'd like to see Kodija on for Wesley too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Mings and Engles have been brilliant for ye. Very solid partnership going on there.

• Advertisement

Can't say that hasn't been deserved. We've been awful in almost every aspect.

They need to keep the head up, still a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Been coming

Jota has fullon stank the place out since coming on. This will be 2-1.

Hourihane was lot poorer in the second half, his slow feet won't be able to handle that position consistently.

Grealish's fault unfortunately.

Would have been very lucky if that didn’t happen it’s been all Spurs this half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Not the best performance but showing signs of a very organised squad, hopefully it settles soon and outside the top 4 we could be beating quite a few teams.

Its been a truly dreadful performance. This has to be the game that sends the message as to what is required at this level.

• Advertisement

Baptism of fire, will stand well to them. Lot of stuff you'd get away with in Championship punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Corholio wrote: »
    Grealish's fault unfortunately.

Not the first time he's dwelt on the ball too long.

Proper wake up call this for everyone involved with the club.

Few positives to take from the game apart from getting PL minutes into the team.
    El Ghazi like a headless chicken unfortunately. Wesley needs to adjust his attitude.
    Mings and Engels partnership could be OK.

CSF wrote: »
    Its been a truly dreadful performance. This has to be the game that sends the message as to what is required at this level.

I think that's harsh if I'm honest. I think its more a reality check to players AND supporters who think the same things as last season should automatically happen on the first game of the season with new players away to the Champions League finalists.

Spurs were champions league finalists we were playoff finalists and they are at home, this is still a somewhat respectable first game.

Some good points but a lot that can be worked on and hopefully the other new players can help too. Bring on non top half teams

I think that's harsh if I'm honest. I think its more a reality check to players AND supporters who think the same things as last season should automatically happen on the first game of the season with new players away to the Champions League finalists.
    No, I'm not completely surprised at the lessons being learnt. I think alot of players in that team stood out as being poor but the important thing is that the message goes in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hourihane was lot poorer in the second half, his slow feet won't be able to handle that position consistently.

He's a yard away and a yard too slow to react all the time I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    He's a yard away and a yard too slow to react all the time I'm afraid.
    Yeah this was the Hourihane I was so frustrated with in the Championship on a frequent basis. He can't play the actual DM role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Positives:

McGinn, Engels, Mings, Heaton.

Not bad:

Trezeguet, Elmo, Douglas Luiz

Could be better:

Grealish, Taylor, Hourihane, Wesley, El Ghazi, Kodjia, Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Some harsh calls there lads. Super defending for 75 mins, the first goal was going wide and was deflected in off Mings, second was one of those pin ball moments.

Spurs, Liverpool and Man City away are going to be 3 seriously tough fixtures for any team in the league.

Jota was poor when he came on, El Ghazi looked half hearted as he does quite a bit and that shot at 2-1 down sums him up for me, greedy and lazy most of the time.

I thought the 2 full backs were solid enough but Mings and Engels were brilliant. Midfield were just pressed so quickly and they were so deep, we didn't have a chance to actually play.

Gave the ball away too much in the second half. Trezeguet off was a strange sub as he was a great outlet, if he was knackered fair enough. I think organisation mostly was good though.

Matches away to any of the top 4/5 can only be bonus points if got, especially with all the factors around first games of the season.

Villa are the only one of the three promoted teams not tipped for relegation. Villa finished 5th in Championship, a good way behind the top two. Spent a lot of money and I think are improved, but still a long way to go.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Positives:

McGinn, Engels, Mings, Heaton.

Not bad:

Trezeguet, Elmo, Douglas Luiz

Could be better:

Grealish, Taylor, Hourihane, Wesley, El Ghazi, Kodjia, Jota

I thought Mings was a bit all over the place in his reading of the game but was good with some last ditch defending and blocks that always make a CBs performance look better.

Engels I was really impressed with.

In the end, it’s the first game of the season and one we probably didn’t have points marked down for in terms of our expectations.

Bournemouth next week is a different story and Smith needs to be hammering home now that there won’t be ample opportunities to learn the Premier League lessons.

With a few players coming in late in pre-season and a couple of usual star performers having stinkers, I’m expecting it will be different next week.

Eagles looks a snip !
    Hard to believe grealish is rated higher than mcginn

Our season wont be defind by away games to top 4 teams

sc86 wrote: »
    Eagles looks a snip !
    Hard to believe grealish is rated higher than mcginn

Our season wont be defind by away games to top 4 teams

Ah here this needs to be a Grealish negativity free thread.

its more a compliment of how good mcginn is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Thought you boys looked very good first half today and were a desperate Winks challenge away from a 2-0 lead. You looked very threatening whenever you got at us. We did overpower you second half but I can't believe 1 or 2 of the very harsh appraisals of Villa on here. You can't expect to go to the big six and pick up much.

I know he was caught by the mickey for the second goal and was poor for it but I thought Grealish was excellent today and am still a bit sorry we didn't get him. The haircut has to go though :)

Villa will stay up and that'll represent a pretty good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Bit of a reality check for us today and to be fair we'd have took a draw before the game.

Problem was wave after wave of pressure particularly 2nd half we were never going to hold on to a one goal lead. Spurs looked a lot stronger and fitter and didn't allow us to get out and counter attack, Wesley got no service whatsover around the final third. Grealish also got caught in possession before their goal something that just doesn't happen so lessons for everyone.

I would say that in 3 years and maybe it's a measure of the PL that today was the best performance from a team against us, we've never been so completely outplayed and dominated for so long.

The positives are that assuming we've got the right personnel we can only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Disappointed to lose considering we defended so well for so long, feel for Jack making that mistake but he will learn from it, probably would have got away with that in the championship, loads of positives, Mings, Engels, Heaton and Trez look good additions.

Bournemouth next week will be more of an indication as to where we are at, Spurs away was not the game to to be judging us, most teams will lose their this season.

Against a team like Spurs on their own ground you can expect to have to be defending a lot so it's a good enough sign that Mings, Engels & Heaton are coming out of it looking good (McGinn too). Next game (Bournemouth) I'll be expecting more possession/attacking from the side and Westley/Grealish to step up a bit more. Hopefully the new guys, especially A DM and our FBs, can start to get integrated into the team too.

Against a team like Spurs on their own ground you can expect to have to be defending a lot so it's a good enough sign that Mings, Engels & Heaton are coming out of it looking good (McGinn too). Next game (Bournemouth) I'll be expecting more possession/attacking from the side and Westley/Grealish to step up a bit more. Hopefully the new guys, especially A DM and our FBs, can start to get integrated into the team too.
    Grealish will be like a man on fire next week. I’m sure of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Love this from Hourihane 68956611_10157998897410982_1408502776324947968_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&_nc_oc=AQmlBsdwEPCo5WSkNkeYVcTqbVfBtoPM2AnawZwIDChVA8A62PZEoGZgWSlAF3taLw0&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=d4115f7acd4919073882040d3761b282&oe=5DCAF5D5

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement