Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Think it might have been a bit more useful to keep in reserve until after we won a game :) I do not suspect the extent of Hourihane’s delight is merely to play in the Premier League but the tweet kind of reads that way.

Here’s hoping there are plenty more milestones to come in Conor proving people wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think he'd be better off not remembering negative tweets from 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Any word on why Guilbert wasn't in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Purslow is on sky sports news now if anyone is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

LeBash wrote: »
    Purslow is on sky sports news now if anyone is interested

Missed it, what did he say?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Missed it, what did he say?

Quite a lot as usual.

When asked about the money spent, he said it was 120 million, average of 10 million per player is what he kept stressing but did say there was add ons.

Was asked where he expected to see Villa at the end of the season and when pressed he responded "I'd be delighted to see us finish just outside the top 6".

Talked about why he brought in a sporting director etc.

Always comes across as a shrewd bloke but he knows it and likes to rub it is. Every answer started with "that's a very good question" except when asked was he involved in McGinn signing where he said "that's not a good question at all".

Said hes not happy with the timing of the window because it big Spanish teams can still poach players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Surprised tammy is getting so much game time at chelsea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

sc86 wrote: »
    Surprised tammy is getting so much game time at chelsea

I think a CF will be the first signing Chelsea will look to make when they can make signings but until then Lampard is hanging his hat on youth development so Tammy will see plenty of game time, especially with them having European games too.

From the pool thread
    Last 3 English winners of the Super cup are ............

2001 Liverpool
    2005 Liverpool
    2019 Liverpool

Total number of English winners 8, 4 of them from Liverpool

1 of those, Aston Villa defeating Barcelona 3-1 over two legs!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Chester, Hause and Kodjia all out of Bournemouth game. Kodjia out for 10-12 days.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Chester, Hause and Kodjia all out of Bournemouth game. Kodjia out for 10-12 days.

None of them would have started anyway I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

CSF wrote: »
    None of them would have started anyway I think.

So Davis on the bench then. It shows we’re short of genuine quality up front. Wesley has a lot to prove and the others were not doing it last season in the championship. Do we have any youth players waiting to come in for even a cameo role?

Panrich wrote: »
    So Davis on the bench then. It shows we’re short of genuine quality up front. Wesley has a lot to prove and the others were not doing it last season in the championship. Do we have any youth players waiting to come in for even a cameo role?

Not sure there is, no. I’d have Davis ahead of Kodjia in the pecking order, personally. Think there’s a player there if given a chance. Obviously the Premier League is tougher for him to get that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Kodjia is out injured for 5 weeks with a high up ankle strain,Leaves us very tight up front,not signing maupay is really coming back to bite us.
    Off topic a bit but the abuse poor tammy is getting both verbal and racist is a disgrace on social media,kick it out is investigating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Rumours of Kodjia off to Besiktas floating around. Would be madness to sell him at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

remoteboy wrote: »
    Rumours of Kodjia off to Besiktas floating around. Would be madness to sell him at this point.

Yea madness to sell him.. too tight up front and window closed. Nobody decent free agent either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Tomorrow's game should be a better measure of where we are compared to last week's game against Spurs.

To stay and succeed in this division we need to have a strong home form so I'm hoping we show more attacking intent and performance and hopefully a 3 -1 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Yea madness to sell him.. too tight up front and window closed. Nobody decent free agent either.

Sturridge llorente?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

POKERKING wrote: »

Sturridge llorente?

I'd say both would want over €100k weekly, and they've no hunger.
    Both are likely behind in terms of fitness.

I'd say no thanks.

I'd say no thanks.

Any club signing either on anything other than a pay as you play contract would be nuts and or desperate.

I'd like to see a count on how many games Sturridge was unavailable for at liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

LeBash wrote: »

I'd say no thanks.

Any club signing either on anything other than a pay as you play contract would be nuts and or desperate.

I'd like to see a count on how many games Sturridge was unavailable for at liverpool.

Balotelli so :)

• Advertisement

Doodee wrote: »
    Balotelli so :)

Nah, Duffys circus have him in for a medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Luiz in for Hourihane but otherwise same as last week

:) Soo much easier to get streams for Premiership games :)

Cmon lads time for the first (home) win of the season! Expecting a big game from Grealish & Wesley and hopefully Luiz can impress on his full debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

1 down.

Well that wasn’t ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Spurs fan here hopefully you can destroy Bournemouth today and get your season up flying!
    As an Irish fan I'm praying hourihan keeps up his more than impressive couple of seasons with Ye. ...

2 down, this is not going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Starting to miss championship

Luiz at fault unfortunately for the 2nd. Rough start. Wilson shot took a big deflection.

2 mistakes, a penalty and a deflection and 2 down, not how I was expecting this to start... Next goal has to be a Villa one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

We'll see which players are up for the fight now.

I'd say the team is setup wrong. The management were going for an attacking lineup but Luiz is being left with too much work to do with Grealish and Mcginn pushing on.

Working fairly well on the attack but can be opened too easily in the counter.

Billing should be off for that. 2nd yellow for sure.

Pity about the nightmare start, grown into it the last 15 min or so.

Corholio wrote: »
    Billing should be off for that. 2nd yellow for sure.

In a world of VAR I'm not sure how that wasn't a 2nd yellow.

JPA wrote: »
    In a world of VAR I'm not sure how that wasn't a 2nd yellow.

VAR doesn’t cover 2nd yellows unfortunately

Ridiculous Billing isn't off. Has had 2 fouls since the one he should have been booked for.

He'll just get subbed at half time and the ref will get away with it.

Half time will probably be good for Villa. Just reset after a nightmare start.

CSF wrote: »
    VAR doesn’t cover 2nd yellows unfortunately

Ok. Does it cover 1st yellows?

Free and corners have been really poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Our set pieces once again a farce without Hourihane.

Can't believe we haven't addressed it

• Advertisement

The ref checked VAR after the foul so it definitely covers something with it.

Trezeguet nearly scored after great work from Wes. Half time. Just need a bit of flow to Villa's game and settle down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

rebelomar wrote: »
    Our set pieces once again a farce without Hourihane.

Can't believe we haven't addressed it

You start him simple.

McGinn has had a few decent long distance chances, Trezeguet had a great chance. Billings on a yellow keeps fouling and is a risk of a red... but it's still 2-0 to Bournemouth and the worry is that they might try to pick Villa off on the counter in the second half.

Heaton won't make many mistakes like the 1st minute pen this season. Douglas Luiz who made the second mistake 10m later hasn't really impressed me either but I'm going to try to remember that I wasn't expecting a huge amount form the early season (despite decent fixtures) as the team gelled. This is one of those games where you do worry about the lack of attacking options off the bench too

You start him simple.

Instead of who though ? he's not a DM. Drop Grealish or McGinn. As much as I like Hourihane I wouldn't be starting him ahead of either of them.

Surman on for Billing. Crazy he wasn't off in that half.

So close from Jack. Just wide of the post.

Should be 1 back. Taylor shot blocked.

Villa well on top now. Luiz looking much better this half. Would like to see Targett on to stretch Bournemouth bit more, Taylor tentative going forward.

Grealish misses sitter of a header. Not sure how he misses.

• Advertisement

What a goal from Luiz!!

Bent an unbelievable shot into the top corner. Beauty!

Well that makes up for his 1st half mistake, nice finish. 20m left , 70% possession this half gotta keep pushing forward now

Fantastic goal. Hopefully we can get at least a point here.

Jota on for El Ghazi.

Full time. 2-1.

Frustrating after that very good 2nd half, the nightmare start was costly. Had plenty of chances in 2nd half. I think the midfield needs to get closer to Wesley at times, left him bit isolated with passes into him and no follow up.

Lot to build on though. Luiz had a very good second half. I think Targett should be in for Taylor next game, especially for going forward. McGinn was superb again. Engels looks a real find too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement