Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Some great touches from Jota so far, looks so much more dangerous than El Ghazi.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Taylor's balls out from the back. Brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

fullstop wrote: »
    Some great touches from Jota so far, looks so much more dangerous than El Ghazi.

The fact he looks like he is putting in an effort going the other way helps. El Ghazi can be frustrating to look at most of the time, lack of product, half heart tracking back and on occasion looks like a superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The goal has defo given the lads a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good half. Still gonna be a few shaky moments this early in the season but a lot to be positive about. Wes has dominated Mina in most battles. Jota great on the ball, does leave his side a bit open and more for Guilbert to do. I notice McGinn coming over a lot to try and cover it.

• Advertisement

Jaysus never has a game embodied the 'goals change games' cliche as much as this one. Well, maybe not literally, but yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Excellent. One of those games where Everton will have to be better 2nd half.

Does McGinn have a twin on the pitch. Hes been everywhere. Must have 8km already covered in this game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Game hasn't really settled down at all, real high energy stuff. McGinn is ridiculous, Jota working his bollocks off with Guilibert showing great pace.

Wesley looks ok, needs to drop the attitude a bit I think. Grealish hasn't really got on the ball and Trezguet been anonymous but looks like Everton have targeted him and also no support from Taylor.

Andre Gomes seems to be getting the same unlimited amount of fouls without a yellow that Sissoko and Ndombele got a few weeks back.

• Advertisement

I actually think they are targeting Grealish who is on the same side as Trezguet so he's getting the same by default nearly, and why Jota is having joy on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Could do with fresh legs now

matrim wrote: »
    Could do with fresh legs now
    Elmo for Guilbert please

LeBash wrote: »
    Does McGinn have a twin on the pitch. Hes been everywhere. Must have 8km already covered in this game.

He’s fairly welded into those shorts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Keen looks like a liability, they're just drawing him into fouls for fun.

Where'd he get 5 mins from?

McGinn again. Class front El Ghazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

We're back, we're back, we're not doing a Fulham, we're not here to make up numbers.!!!!

And I'm taking a lot of credit for this - firstly I'm on holidays which is my normal good luck token, secondly I sold Guilbert from my fantasy team, and thirdly I benched Wesley (played Grealish....)

Well that was nice. Great to see the fight while actually playing football!

Engels and Mings fantastic, turning into a great partnership. Engels especially looks an unbelievable find. Wes was excellent, took the ridiculous criticism in his stride. Some nervy moments but playing against a top 8 Prem side and limit them to not much is great going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Thought Guilbert had a great debut. Offers a real threat. Wesley was class. Held the line brilliantly. Second goal entirely down to him. Not a fan of Taylor. Constantly loses possession from throw ins. Worked hard in fairness but limited. Looking forward to Targett getting a shot. Thought he was great on loan at Fulham. Sessegnon didn’t look the same without him behind him.

Corholio wrote: »
    Engels and Mings fantastic, turning into a great partnership. Engels especially looks an unbelievable find. Wes was excellent, took the ridiculous criticism in his stride. Some nervy moments but playing against a top 8 Prem side and limit them to not much is great going.

Agreed on Engels. Look like an absolute bargain, straight in the team and only €8 million. Already formed a partnership.

Mings is class. Looks really composed on the ball and reads things brilliantly.

fullstop wrote: »
    Mings is class. Looks really composed on the ball and reads things brilliantly.
    Unreal tonight and Engels looked great too.

We rode our luck with a few of their missed chances, but I still think the overall performance deserved a win.

Felt we were unlucky in the first two matches. We were due a bit of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

What a performance.engels and mings have a great understanding,Jota was immense,guildbert was excellent and i think he cemented his place in the team,
    Wesley showed what he can offer tonight and a woirthy motm..onward to CP next and a win..vtid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Looking forward to seeing what Konsa and Marvelous have to offer in the league cup now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Brilliant stuff, now let’s kick on.

Engels, Mings, Jota, Wesley and Guilbert all very very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

We can say it now but it was very important to get points on the board and we got those tonight.

We sat back a bit like the spurs match but got the rub of the green this time. I hope that with the win on the board we’ll not sit back as much next time. Great performances from Wesley, Guilbert, Engels and McGinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

cloud 9 , what a performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Engels looks like he absolutely loves defending, it's great to see.

Jota was class.

Guilberts attacking runs were great, he really bombs on.

Douglas Luiz was quite.
    Set pieces were poor again.

Delighted big Wes scored, that should do his confidence wonders.

Heaton was never really troubled, Everton were wasteful.

It's brilliant to finally have a win in the Premier League again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

I thought it was a great team performance and though we sat back 36% possession I think they never really troubled us in the final third, Heaton had very little to do. Some lovely passing and interchanges especially first half. Got a bit of luck with them hitting the post and Walcott's miss but that result will do wonders for our confidence especially Wesley who looked a handful.

Looks like the Holte was rocking, think 2-0 belies the performance a little bit, was very scrappy, Everton were poor but you got the feeling on another day that would have been easy enough for them.

I think it will be a long season but there were some good signs and it's nice to get a win on the board. I also think at this stage there are at least three worse teams than us.

I see what you're saying Artane, Everton seemed to have the ball more comfortably and move together better; but I put a lit of that down to our team being fairly new and not yet integrated/tuned in to each other. As is Smith's style lots of fast, low passes and playing out from back but a fair few passes missed or were just to far ahead or behind players. Another few games together (a league cup run would be ideal, if only to help those not in 1st team regular action) and if those passes start sticking, and the team click more, then we could really kick on.

But for confidence and throwing pressure on to other teams, tonight's result was immense.

Agree with Patser. Some lovely touches in midfield when Villa got into the game after the first 15 mins. There was always going to be the spell of pressure with trying to get the first win on the board, but Everton didn't really create that much and Villa will get better from here I think.

• Advertisement

It’s great to have a team of players that know their job and are disciplined and working their socks off for each other, gonna need that in every game.

Not every side will have as much possession as Everton did against us last night so I’m not worried about our low possession, we will improve.

From Twitter

ECsAEx2XYAUm2Jw.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The one late game of the 3 so far which meant due to time difference it was the one I missed... and we win 2-0

After the performances (not saying we should have won em or anything) in the first 2 games I felt 0 points after 3 games would have been harsh and am very happy to see a win. Glad Wes got his first goal in the league too and happy Guilbert started and impressed, hopefully he can keep his spot now and next we will see Targett trying to do the same on the other side.

Himself, Nakamba, Konsa and co should at least get a run out in the cup.

McGinn is at home in this league as well, him along with Luiz snuffed out Sigurdsson and Gomes almost completely. I liked that Luiz did the little scrappy bits too, counted 3 times he just stuck his leg in and nicked the ball away near edge of the box. As said above the team is well disciplined and organised, and in that central defence it's never going to be easy against them.

Have to say Taylor was solid as well last night, got behind him once in the first but he has definitely improved that side. I think Targett going forward, in both meanings, will eventually come in. I think Trez isn't helped by Taylors reluctance and apprehension on the ball when he's forward.

The one late game of the 3 so far which meant due to time difference it was the one I missed... and we win 2-0

After the performances (not saying we should have won em or anything) in the first 2 games I felt 0 points after 3 games would have been harsh and am very happy to see a win. Glad Wes got his first goal in the league too and happy Guilbert started and impressed, hopefully he can keep his spot now and next we will see Targett trying to do the same on the other side.

Himself, Nakamba, Konsa and co should at least get a run out in the cup.

Would you mind missing all the games until we are on 40 points?

• Advertisement

LeBash wrote: »
    Would you mind missing all the games until we are on 40 points?

Yes, take one for the team. . . should only be until the middle of December so he'll have most of the season left to watch the title challenge.

Palace away next, barring injuries it’s the same 11 as Friday for me.

Crewe on Tuesday 1st, so chance for Guilbert to build fitness, Konsa, Hause or Targett to get a run, also Steer and Hourihane in for me, Marvelous and maybe Davis too - but how many changes are too many?

Yes, just needs to make some changes for Tuesday night, Targett, Hause, Hourihane, Elmo maybe Steer. When you look at the starting line up against Everton there's no one you'd leave out.

I'd be making wholesale changes, couldn't care less about going out.

Guilbert, Konsa, Hause, Targett, Marvelous, Hourihane, Davies, Steer all start for me if fit

pavb2 wrote: »
    Yes, just needs to make some changes for Tuesday night, Targett, Hause, Hourihane, Elmo maybe Steer. When you look at the starting line up against Everton there's no one you'd leave out.

If Targett gets on well against Crewe I'd be more than happy for Taylor to make way next gam

Lansbury was on the bench on Friday so I'd say he's also in Smith's plans

I'd be making wholesale changes, couldn't care less about going out.

Guilbert, Konsa, Hause, Targett, Marvelous, Hourihane, Davies, Steer all start for me if fit

I would - for a few reasons:

League cup we could possibly win
    Even staying in means more games to gel new players or give game time to
    Winning breeds winning

Patser wrote: »
    I would - for a few reasons:

League cup we could possibly win
    Even staying in means more games to gel new players or give game time to
    Winning breeds winning

Agreed I think to go out against Crewe would be a backward step

No reason we should go out even with wholesale changes, we have an actual squad now so time to see the rest of them in action.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement