Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So Guilbert could be a good man for assists?

He'll get a few yellows as well.
    The question of picking Villa players is how good Villa are going to be. Bit unknown really.
    Mcginn is the stand out for FF anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Davies not up to it at all imo. Would be a decent for mid championship side. 3rd choice for me. Will be shown the door next season if Smith gets more reinforcements up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

A fit Kodjia is ahead of him. We haven't seen much of a fit Kodjia but hes one of those players that will probably score as many super individual goals in the PL as he would in the Championship and frustrate just as much as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Davis is almost the opposite of Kodjia, too selfless in a way and doesn't be greedy enough to go for goal. His hold up play in second half was excellent though and glad he got his goal. I think he might surprise because of the system the team plays, he'll bring the likes of McGinn and Grealish much more into the game than Kodjia would.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Away jersey looked nice, but can't justify 70 beans for something I'll only wear when hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Away jersey looked nice, but can't justify 70 beans for something I'll only wear when hungover.

Thought so too. Might take a trip to ebay and pick up a knock off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I bought the home one off one of the sites I saw mentioned in the thread about online shirts, for $20 it's absolutely flawless.

I've ordered the away and should have it next week.

Away to Brighton in the next round of the league Cup. The only Premier League draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Esse85 wrote: »
    I bought the home one off one of the sites I saw mentioned in the thread about online shirts, for $20 it's absolutely flawless.

Throw a link on pm cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LeBash wrote: »
    A fit Kodjia is ahead of him. We haven't seen much of a fit Kodjia but hes one of those players that will probably score as many super individual goals in the PL as he would in the Championship and frustrate just as much as well.

Can't stand kodjia he frustrates me more than he frustrates the opposition

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Can't stand kodjia he frustrates me more than he frustrates the opposition

Yeah, but his record is 29 goals in 90 games. Considering he had 2 really long lay offs and plenty of those 90 were off the bench, that's seriously good. He does do 5 bad things for every 1 good thing but he will score more than Davies.

Lads Kodjia is muck and the more he plays the lower down the table we'll finish.

He's 30 next month, never played in a top league, there's a reason why.

30 goals in 90 games for Villa, all in championship or Cup games, hardly any assists, sulky attitude, holds onto the ball too long, little footballing intelligence.

Offers very little to a premier league club. He's only still here because we couldn't get in a replacement on time.

Reports that Mings called up to England squad. Well deserved.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

In Ireland there's the magic plane that LOI players get when they sign for an English club, suddenly they're good enough.

In England it seems it's the magic promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Well deserved for Mings. Obviously given his injury history it’s better for us that he has those weeks off, but how could you not be delighted for the guy.

Huge for him.

Think we will see a huge performance from Grealish this weekend. He will be seeing Mings get his first callup, Heaton in there also, and I think the hunger to make sure he joins them will intensify.

Interesting observation, on 4 of the 6 European midweeks, we will play teams following a midweek european game. 3 of them Europa League games, Man United, Arsenal and Wolves. Man City on the early game on a Saturday following Champions League is the other.

Obviously this is dependent on Wolves getting through, and all those opponents will be games where points are hard to come by, but that has to increase our expected points tally by a point or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

CSF wrote: »
    Think we will see a huge performance from Grealish this weekend. He will be seeing Mings get his first callup, Heaton in there also, and I think the hunger to make sure he joins them will intensify.

Id have him in there ahead of lingard. Only a matter of time for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Link?

• Advertisement

I think Grealish has been pretty good this season but in a quieter way. Everything goes through him, his ball retention and keeping the flow of passing is superb, it's things that don't stand out as much as direct assists etc. He'll get his chance I'm sure, only De Bruyne has more key passes this season than Grealish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Corholio wrote: »
    I think Grealish has been pretty good this season but in a quieter way. Everything goes through him, his ball retention and keeping the flow of passing is superb, it's things that don't stand out as much as direct assists etc. He'll get his chance I'm sure, only De Bruyne has more key passes this season than Grealish.

Me too and im a city fan. I know grealish got stick for the spurs goal but i think hes been excellent in a different kind of way than I expected. I always had him down as an unnecessary showboater but he isnt. Hes a very intelligent footballer prepared to take huge responsibility for the ball in difficult areas of the pitch. Would love him at city!

Tish looks like he will be gone today/tomorrow to Belgium.

Apparently 1 million. I'd give him away for free just to save the wages. Must be worth close to 1 million.

Word has it the club are trying to get Kalinic out the door as well and will accept similar money. He was woeful in the few games he had but the back 4 was a shambles at the time as well so hard to judge. Must have been a deer in headlights moment.

POKERKING wrote: »
    Me too and im a city fan. I know grealish got stick for the spurs goal but i think hes been excellent in a different kind of way than I expected. I always had him down as an unnecessary showboater but he isnt. Hes a very intelligent footballer prepared to take huge responsibility for the ball in difficult areas of the pitch. Would love him at city!

I'd love if he were good enough for City! He's miles off as much as we rate him.
    If he was to step up a level or 2 it would benefit Villa even if was to eventually move on.

Unchanged side from the Everton win.

Bit scrappy so far, a few silly misplaced passes from Villa players nearly leading to something. Palace will be tough to break down the way they all drop back. Trezeguet has had a rough start.

• Advertisement

Given away some silly free kicks this half although some have been quite soft, ref very quick to give them, booked 3 Villa players already.

Given away some silly free kicks this half although some have been quite soft, ref very quick to give them, booked 3 Villa players already.

4 booked now. 0-0 HT.

Making Palace look like a Guardiola team here. Truly horrendous stuff.

Hoping Smith goes through them at half time because despite all that, it’s nil all and all to play for.

Would be taking Douglas Luiz off at HT because he’s been horribly exposed, provided no protection and he’s already booked.

Problem has been down the wings, Trez and Jota not up to pace yet required to provide cover. Every attack Palace have managed has come from the sides and then crosses. With the bookings I think subs could come early though, some of those bookings were really harsh though.

Could really do with Marvellous on instead of Luiz, he's not on the bench, had he a knock?

• Advertisement

Trezeguet red card.

Silly to get booked after already been on one. Ref was card happy in first half though, put undeserved pressure on players.

Ill discipline from Trez, frustrated at running back all game.
    Harsh second yellow.
    Refs aren't giving us much benefit of the doubt so far this season.

Could really do with Marvellous on instead of Luiz, he's not on the bench, had he a knock?

Must be deemed as not ready yet.

Moronic from Trezeguet and will probably cost a point. El Ghazi and Jota for a spell now while he develops a bit of basic common sense.

Interesting change. Davis for Jota, help to hold ball up more perhaps.

Palace fouled loads this half already and not getting anywhere near same treatment by ref.

1-0 Ayew.

Pressure told in end, although he shouldn't have got passed Jack and Mings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

1-0 Ayew.

Pressure told in end, although he shouldn't have got passed Jack and Mings there.

We have looked poor in large chunks of every game. Second half against Spurs, first half against Bournemouth, big chunks of both halves against Everton, Crewe had periods of domination as well and today both halves.

Now it’s not just that we are second best it’s that we have often looked totally overrun and can’t get a foothold in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Controversial finish there. That ref is not going to be popular with Villa fans after that.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. Lansbury goal ruled out after ref booked Grealish for diving. Grealish looked to actually be fouled twice.

As poor as Villa were today, the ref was horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Panrich wrote: »
    Controversial finish there. That ref is not going to be popular with Villa fans after that.

Outrageous decision. Thought VAR would sort this sh1t out.

Kevin Friend is hopeless.

Absolutely disgraceful and embarrassing from this ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Missed the end.

Should the goal have stood?

Honestly, there is no point in having VAR in England. Refs are actively trying to sabotage it.

Friend booked 4 Villa players after they each made 1 tackle each, let plenty of Palace ones go and then that outrageous decision.

Villa were poor today but a lot of points are picked up when a team isn't at their best. Inexcusable from the ref, doubly so when VAR doesn't seem to have been consulted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

mdwexford wrote: »
    Missed the end.

Should the goal have stood?

Yes, grealish clipped and pushed by Zaha on the edge of box, keeps his balance, stretches to pass the ball off to Lansbury, collides with Cahill in the box and goes down. Doesn’t look for a foul and then Lansbury finishes nicely in the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just saw a replay of the disallowed goal. I've no idea how that was judged a dive and free against Villa. Was actually great play be Grealish to get the ball off to Lansbury.

Definitely should have stood but I think it's a case of Grealish going down easy (not for that one) too often has backfired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Clip here. Should be sacked but will continue his rubbish.

Really are some terrible ref's in the PL

https://twitter.com/JACKGREALlSH/status/1167829852268969989

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement