Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The balance in the team is wrong. Jack, Mcginn and another will not work in this league IMO.

Put Luiz and marvelous in the team, let Jack push on instead of patrolling the entire midfield and maybe we're forced to put Mcginn wide.

The lack of quality out wide is going to lead to some decisions being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

JPA wrote: »
    The balance in the team is wrong. Jack, Mcginn and another will not work in this league IMO.

Put Luiz and marvelous in the team, let Jack push on instead of patrolling the entire midfield and maybe we're forced to put Mcginn wide.

The lack of quality out wide is going to lead to some decisions being made.

I'd shove Jack out wide, McGinn is more important to keep central at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

We are in big trouble, thats what im taking from last night. West Ham dominated us for 20 mins after that sending off.

We have failed to solve the problems we had last season which were that out wide we are piss poor.

El Gazi is a complete phoney of a player and coupled with his bad attitude is a massive liability. As is his North African cousin Trezege who spent most of the game againest Palace trying to get sent off before he finally managed it. Both are idiots and cannot even be dropped because our squad is paper thin in this area. Jota has ability, but has zero pace which is why he has been playing at the level he was up to now. And that useless p#ick at left back makes me sick watching him for Villa. He is clueless (his positioning is appaling) and was out of his depth last season in championship, how can Smith think he will get away with him palying in the PL? Add to fact Taylor has El Gazi in front of him and we may as well not have any left side to this team.

Really what the hell was Smith doing sending O'Hare and Green out on loan? Madness.

The CM had an off night last night with their passing thats for sure, but even when they are on form, the issues out wide (bar Guilbert who looks a good player) will cost us hugely. You can blame Wesley all you want, but him playing in a 1 up top formation he needs the wide players urgently to be good players, but they are just mid table championhip level players.

I think as someone said above we should maybe try and move Jack to the left side and see if this helps us in some way out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

if you want to be positive we got a point playing poor
    if you want to be realistic then the team is short players and while i think we have enough to be ok it will be very interesting to see what happens in jan transfer window , el gazi wasnt exactly beating many players last year so was hardly gona start this year

how many times did grealish have ball on edge of his own box ? thats not where you want him on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Green and O'Hare aren't ready for the PL and aren't going to get there sitting in the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Think we need to reign it in a tiny bit. We talked all pre-season about how with the amount of signings made over the summer that it would definitely take some time to settle as a team.

We’re now 5 games in and while that adjustment period might not be too enjoyable to watch, it’s not entirely unexpected.

I think we will certainly be in the relegation battle (as most promoted teams are) but have to have faith that Smith can steer through the other side of that battle.

I'd be starting Grealish and Trez on the wings against Arsenal, have Jack cut in to support Wesley and tell him to run his bollocks off tracking back. Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

It's a wake up call just how much tougher the Premier League is, especially after the buzz from last season's finish.

But it's still such early days and with a near entirely new squad, with debuts still being made, maybe it's time we realised it will be a battle, it will be fine margins and to take points where we get them.

Grealish sticks in that volley with 2 minutes to go and now we'd be mid table and thinking ourselves great. And to take positives Guilbert looks very good, Engels also has stepped right in, McGinn still impresses, Mings seems up for it (maybe too much) and Smith doesn't seem to be panicking, just patiently sussing out the team.

matrim wrote: »
    Green and O'Hare aren't ready for the PL and aren't going to get there sitting in the bench

They would still be better then having nobody to come on in that position.

Last night we were crying out to replace the wingers and our only option in the whole club was a very average RB. We have 3 wingers in the whole club and none are really going to set the PL alight and its a huge weakness in the side.

Next we will be seeing the great Kodja being played in this position.... :mad:

CSF wrote: »
    Think we need to reign it in a tiny bit. We talked all pre-season about how with the amount of signings made over the summer that it would definitely take some time to settle as a team.

We’re now 5 games in and while that adjustment period might not be too enjoyable to watch, it’s not entirely unexpected.

I think we will certainly be in the relegation battle (as most promoted teams are) but have to have faith that Smith can steer through the other side of that battle.

Problem is its not really the new players who are the issue, its the ones who have been here for a year and were not really anything special in the Championship who are the major problems in the side.

The new players I think have gelled pretty well and look good signings.

• Advertisement

CucaFace wrote: »
    Problem is its not really the new players who are the issue, its the ones who have been here for a year and were not really anything special in the Championship who are the major problems in the side.

The new players I think have gelled pretty well and look good signings.

The team as a whole doesn’t look gelled. It’s not about individuals.

The only starters last night that were there last season were Taylor, Mings, El Ghazi, Grealish and McGinn. El Ghazi is the only one of those that I don’t think has performed to a reasonable standard this season.

Grealish may not be at the same heights he has been in the Championship this year but he’s still one of the best players and drives forward most of the attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

West ham are top 10 side lads. Relax a bit.

Every game is a learning exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

listermint wrote: »
    West ham are top 10 side lads. Relax a bit.

Every game is a learning exercise.

With 11 men they are.

I think the worry here is based on the 5 games to date, we're struggling.
    If the defence or GK has an off day we can't rely on midfield or attack to compensate.

New 3rd kit released- cant make up my mind. It's a futuristic throwback to an older stand out kit with possibly too much going on, but it's cool and different and looks like Cameroon should be wearing it........

Y3UDzsqi_t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

I Iike that, this season has been a good one for jerseys as a villa fan.

Great jerseys ruined with sponsors.

Great jerseys ruined with sponsors.

You can buy them without the sponsor from the Kappa website, look a lot better

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can buy them without the sponsor from the Kappa website, look a lot better

In adult sizes?

Website is criminally bad but I definitely saw them on it a few weeks ago, were more expensive without the sponsor at €110 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Just looking at the Europa fixtures. Good time to get Arsenal assuming they put out a full team, which after being beaten by Watford, they probably will have to. Just a pity it's in Frankfurt and not somewhere in East Russia.

Hopefully they get a tough game and come back wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'd be starting Grealish and Trez on the wings against Arsenal, have Jack cut in to support Wesley and tell him to run his bollocks off tracking back. Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn in the middle.

I'd prefer Conor than Nakamba at this stage. I think Marvellous needs more time to settle, and Luiz and Conor offer more going forward.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I'd prefer Conor than Nakamba at this stage. I think Marvellous needs more time to settle, and Luiz and Conor offer more going forward.

Luiz going forward is half the problem I think. It means Jack is the deepest midfielder. Whether Jack plays well or not, he gets the most free kicks.

Palace, Bournemouth and Everton games Jack was the holding player far too often and it's not really his game.

Jack and or McGinn being able to take a competent dead ball is the biggest problem imo. These no doubt they are better players than Connor but they dont score or assist as often. McGinn had similar assists last season but played almost twice the amount of minutes.

Think Arsenal away might be a pasting. They’re a whole different animal at home to bottom half teams.

It's never nice to see a team getting trounced, but City's hammering of Watford has to be good for us. Disaster for their goal difference and confidence, hopefully that's already 1 relegation rival down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Patser wrote: »
    It's never nice to see a team getting trounced, but City's hammering of Watford has to be good for us.
    Hope they’ve burnt themselves out before we go there next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gonna be a lot of up and down moments in this league between now and christmas in the bottom half. Anything from Arsenal tomorrow would be a bonus. Norwich are pretty bad away from home, Sheffield won 2-0 with 1 shot on target. There's very little that's following any sort of pattern. Villa are bit blunt up front at the moment but the defence has been a nice surprise how good it's been and I still think the 'creative' players haven't hit their stride yet.

Corholio wrote: »

Nakamba started the last game.

Hopefully an off day for PEA.

Anyone cooking with any recipes that they can PM today?

I'm out and about but reading the report, sounds like we are trying to catch them on the break.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well, VAR aside (should be fine) not a bad start

Great goal by McGinn

John Mcginn?

John Mcginn?

Well it ain't Sergio

Taylor being ripped apart again and again, but great cross by El Ghazi and run from McGinn and we're ahead

Patser wrote: »
    Taylor being ripped apart again and again, but great cross by El Ghazi and run from McGinn and we're ahead

Pity our newly signed LB isn't even on the bench

We have Hourihane......... worked for Ireland.......

Edit: Actually Guilbert filled in at LB in a match earlier this season I'm fairley sure

Mings with a big miss from an open goal - free header well wide

Edit: was offide anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Anywhere in Turkey showing the game?

Arsenal down to 10!!!! And we're up!!

So many chickens I don't want to count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Awful behaviour from Socrates there.

Trez was very good in that half, worked his ass off and mostly used ball well. The odd time he trusts his pace too much against a quick player. Mings and Engels excellent again. El Ghazi put in a shift too with the assist and drawing fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I have had enough of wesley now..i was on the fence for ages..but he is a 22m donkey,he was absolutely knackered before half time.
    January cant come soon enough

circadian wrote: »
    Awful behaviour from Socrates there.

Yeah that was pathetic, outmuscled by Wesley, sits down holding his leg like a lost little boy, then keels over crying as if Wesley kneed him - think ref was soft on him as he'd just sent off another player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Grealish been poor again so far

Peno Arsenal

1-1

Bit soft peno, letting Luis walk in, but fair enough on the challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Grealish been poor again so far

Lol

WESLEY!!!!

2_1

Grealish brilliant in build up, 2 players that needed to switch on

Cant believe I dropped Wesley out of my fantasy team

• Advertisement

Thats big, straight back infront and Grealish & Wes could use a goal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement