Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

LeBash wrote: »
    Cant believe I dropped Wesley out of my fantasy team

You weren't the only one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I have had enough of wesley now..i was on the fence for ages..but he is a 22m donkey,he was absolutely knackered before half time.
    January cant come soon enough

Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Guendouzi is a joke, diving and moaning at ref in desperation all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Feck sake Villa - playing so deep with an extra man - 2-2 now!!!!

Arsenal playing like they are up a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Gunners level again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

We are shocking lads.

Poor from Mings there, should have headed it way out instead of cushioning it.

3-2 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

This is pathetic.

Second game running vs 10 men and still rubbish.:mad:

Pressure from team trying to score, even with man down, is a natural thing that happens but team were falling back lot extra than they needed to. Subs should have been on sooner as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

That was a cracking free kick but arsenal are as cynical as anything.

Smiths fault IMO - 10 minutes of sustained pressure before that, with our 2 wingers acting as passengers and needing a boot up their hole, while Marvelous was being roasted and Smith didnt react

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Surely that was a handball in the box by sokratis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Patser wrote: »
    Smiths fault IMO - 10 minutes of sustained pressure before that, with our 2 wingers acting as passengers and needing a boot up their hole, while Marvelous was being roasted and Smith didnt react

Very poor game management two games in a row unfortunately. Love Smith but he needs to react to situations much quicker

Game over - we blew it.

Fair play Arsenal for going for it, but we blew it. Didn't even try to counter for last 20 minutes when Arsenal were throwing everyone forward and down a man.

It's an embarrassing loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That was an embarrassment. Expected nothing from that game but the manner of that defeat suggests this is gonna be a long long season.

Poor game and sub management is definitely fair. Hard to take especially when did very well for the majority of the game. The mistake from Mings was crucial, let Arsenal back into the game when, although they were putting on pressure, they were struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Relagation form, we are in a fight for our lives, make no mistake about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rebelomar wrote: »
    Very poor game management two games in a row unfortunately. Love Smith but he needs to react to situations much quicker

Didn't see it but he seems to struggle or is reluctant to go defensive or at least try to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Esse85 wrote: »
    Relagation form, we are in a fight for our lives, make no mistake about it.

The last time we went down we threw away a game against Leicester and that started a slide that we never corrected.
    Teams that get relegated capitulate like we did today and we lacked enough bravery to get anything out of that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Wasn't expecting a win today but goal up and Arsenal a man down!! you have to ask questions about the changes and tactics. Really like Smith and all but thats two games with an extra man...

JPA wrote: »
    Didn't see it but he seems to struggle or is reluctant to go defensive or at least try to be.
    It was actually the opposite. Were regressing so deep at 2-1 vs 10 men that I started to worry we'd have 11 men on the goalline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Absolutely gutted with that result and the performance in the last half hour. Thought Trez had a good game. When we took him off we lost an attacking outlet. Elmo offered nothing. Mings quite panicky. Jack drifted in and out. Deano needs to up his game management quickly. We’re in a lot of bother right now and there are worse fixtures ahead.

CSF wrote: »
    It was actually the opposite. Were regressing so deep at 2-1 vs 10 men that I started to worry we'd have 11 men on the goalline.

When that happens it tends to be panic rather than instruction.

We can't go on effectively playing 4141, whoever is in midfield needs a partner beside them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

It's way too early to panic yet. 6 of those starters are new players and all of them are in a new league that's better than the Championship. I'm fairly confident we will go on a 5 or 6 game unbeaten run soon.

It's way too early to panic yet. 6 of those starters are new players and all of them are in a new league that's better than the Championship. I'm fairly confident we will go on a 5 or 6 game unbeaten run soon.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say I’m confident but I’m certainly not despondent yet either.

Yet to be completely outclassed by anyone but still some stupidity costing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I think we need to solidify the midfield by moving Grealish out left and bringing in Luiz alongside nakamba with mcginn ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Work to be done, but we are still scoring.

Positives to be taken. I wouldn't be running around in circles screaming yet.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I think we need to solidify the midfield by moving Grealish out left and bringing in Luiz alongside nakamba with mcginn ahead of them.

Think there is an argument to this aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Well that game reminded me a lot of when we lost to Leicester from 2 nil up the year we got relegated. I just hope the result doesn't have the same effect as it did that season.

For 60/65 mins we looked brilliant. Our CM were dominate, breaking the play up and then counter attacking and creating great chances. Even the guys out wide looked dangerous for a change. McGinn up to this point was looking like a world class player and i mean that he was truly class in all aspects of his game and was easily the best player on the pitch.

Then out of no where the 3 CM's just disappeared against 10 men. The second time this has happened in a week and its just not good enough. And Dean Smith who I really think is a good manager has been the root cause of this by not reacting to what was clearly happening out there in time. The 3 CM's had run themselves into the ground and were dead on their legs and changes were badly needed in there. Arsenal were breaking through the centre from the 65 min until they got their 3rd goal and what did Smith do? Nothing, except for bringing on a slow full back to replace Trezege which was a terrible decision.

How he left Luiz out of the squad is just truly shocking and its beginning to show tactical weakness in him big time. Had he been there to replace one of the CM's we would have won that game easily. Had he reacted in time to the obvious problems on the field in the last 2 games we should have 5 more points then we currently do...

Also its time to look at Grealsh in the CM of games after 65/70 mins, he seems to be spent and is a liability in his tackling and tracking back and has cost us a lot of points now (look at him in the wall for the last goal yesterday). I think we need to have a plan at the 65 mins stage to move Greslesh to the left wing at this stage in games and bring on another CM.

Easy Rod wrote: »

Couldn't agree more with this.

Where is all the Luiz love coming from. He doesnt look great to me, hes here on a free ride, and he most certainly wont be too upset if we gone down. Marvelous and Hourihane are our players. Luiz is basically on an extended loan to get paperwork.

If we hit 40 points with 5 games to go, I wouldnt be picking him.

He comes out of the holding role way too often for me and I reckon that's why he wasnt in the squad.

Where is all the Luiz love coming from. He doesnt look great to me, hes here on a free ride, and he most certainly wont be too upset if we gone down. Marvelous and Hourihane are our players. Luiz is basically on an extended loan to get paperwork.

He comes out of the holding role way too often for me and I reckon that's why he wasnt in the squad.

City won't be buying him back if he's not playing well though, the clause is just that, more made of it than should be really. City will pay more than they got as well so that's unlikely unless he's performing. Luiz could easily outlast Hourihane at the club too. In my opinion it's way too early to be fully judging players, positively or negatively. Guilbert and Targett have been left out of the squad and with Guilbert now a starter, I would expect both to be playing together soon.

It's just picking a specific bench to what Smith thinks for each game, rightly or wrongly.

There is no love in for Luiz, he is the only other bloody DM in the club to chose from. Did you watch the game yesterday?

Because another DM was exactly what was needed to win that game yesterday, not bringing in Conor 'The ghost' Horihane who only brings anything to the table when the ball is available to him in a set piece situation.

We have struggled to contain teams with McGinn, Greslish and one of the DM option available so far in this league, god help us if we try to do that with Horihane as the 3rd option. I mean who would you drop to get him into the side?

Better in game management from players and coaches would have had accrued more points this season. To me it seems like a collective fear from players to drop back. This happens naturally to an extent but it was to a disappointing extent yesterday. Better subs would have helped too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

On a plus note Brighton have 8 players out ahead of the cup game

CucaFace wrote: »
    There is no love in for Luiz, he is the only other bloody DM in the club to chose from. Did you watch the game yesterday?

Because another DM was exactly what was needed to win that game yesterday, not bringing in Conor 'The ghost' Horihane who only brings anything to the table when the ball is available to him in a set piece situation.

We have struggled to contain teams with McGinn, Greslish and one of the DM option available so far in this league, god help us if we try to do that with Horihane as the 3rd option. I mean who would you drop to get him into the side?

I would drop El Ghazi for Hourihane because hes Pele 1 game in 10 and a lazy Bambi on Ice the other 9, move Grealish left. Said that about 3 weeks ago.

Hourihane should have won us a penalty yesterday except VAR was wrong again. For all his shortcomings he actually does things that win teams points with goals and assists.

Weve 3 pretty tall, pretty good players in the air and we cant get the ball 2 foot off the ground from a corner or free kick. El Ghazi, Jack and McGinn are as bad as Westwood at set pieces. We probably get on average 8-10 between corners and frees near the box, especially when Jack plays and we dont have anyone decent to take them.

I'd say playing a regular 90 mins, Hourihane will score or assist 1 in 3 games in the PL. We have nobody else who'll do that.

I'm not overly worried about things at the moment. I think we are worth more points from the games played so far, been robbed by bad decisions as well. Should have had pens at Palace and yesterday, 2 extra points would have had us 15th with a bit of an easier run of games to come.

Luiz has started 3 games so very quick to be judging him. I wouldn't classify him as a pure DM, ideally he's the player with the highest passes per game so working with a DM like Nakamba might be a good combo.

There's also no indication of what the buyback amount is. And City aren't going to buy him back if he's not performing for us. If they do decide to sign him back it's because he's playing well and helped keep us in the division.

Away to Brighton in the league cup tonight.

Another loss heaps more pressure and the losing mentality onto the club, whereas a win means another game for an already thin squad.

I'd like to see the fringe players start, Davies, Hourihane, Lansbury, Luiz, Target, Konza etc and if we get a win then great, the worst outcome is starting with our strongest line up and losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Esse85 wrote:
    Away to Brighton in the league cup tonight.

They have 8 players out injured so would be shocked if we loose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

kilburn wrote: »
    They have 8 players out injured so would be shocked if we loose

Quoted for posterity.

Fair few changes alright. Hopefully Targett holds up well. Brighton's team is very young, only 2 senior players in the team. Some talk that Lansbury was supposed to play but may have picked up a knock, hence McGinn in.

Bench is: Nyland, Guilbert, Mings, Grealish, El Ghazi, Ramsey, Wesley.

https://twitter.com/mjmarr_star/status/1176916817111146498?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

You'd think there's enough quality there to get the job done. Spurs probably thought that last night too.
    Biggest hurdle will be scoring.

1-0. Jota.

Conor assist?

2-0. Hourihane.

Goal now for conor

Think Hourihane has to be knocking on that door for a start now. Grealish and Jota in the wide positions with Nakamba and Hourihane behind McGinn on Saturday for me.

Would give Hourihane a try for sure. Maybe Trez instead of Jota, would be hard to drop him after shift he put in against Arsenal.

All Villa this half it seems, Brighton camped in their own half.

2-1 now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement