Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hourihane drops to the bench for the Swiss game.

He is injured I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Could really do with another win today, 2 wins in row is what you need to propell up the league.

I'd expect the same team that started vs Norwich.

I think Kodjia will be back on the bench but Jota is out for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Could really do with another win today, 2 wins in row is what you need to propell up the league.

I'd expect the same team that started vs Norwich.

I think Kodjia will be back on the bench but Jota is out for a few weeks.

Was Engles passed fit?

LeBash wrote: »
    Was Engles passed fit?

He was fine according to Smith's interview yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Team unchanged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Brighton 1-0 up. Joke of a free kick given against Hourihane. He won the ball and got booked for it. Brighton have been more on the front foot in the early stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

We're in real trouble now, Brighton down to 10 men and you know that's our weakness

Patser wrote: »
    We're in real trouble now, Brighton down to 10 men and you know that's our weakness

Oh man. Get level before HT and hopefully we'll take them.

1-1! Hourihane.

Set up by McGinn. Grealish have a great game despite Brighton previously on top.

• Advertisement

Great defensive block by Wesley denies an open goal, unfortunately it was McGinn about to score.

Conor makes sure no one can block his shot

Disallowed.BS.

JPA wrote: »
    Disallowed.BS.

Absolute nonsense, what was that for, Wesley's challenge on keeper, but there was nothing there. Wtf

Grealish! Hopefully.

It's good! 1-1

Grealish!!!!

But probably better the wait 3 minutes now before commenting on a score to be VAR sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Messy half. Hourihane screwed a little seeing as it wasn't a foul for their free kick that lead to the opening goal. That said it was very poor defensively from Villa. Villa got lucky with Mooy getting sent off for 2 yellows neither of which was really dangerous play but then have a perfectly good goal imho taken away from hourihane by VAR. Thankfully Grealish was still able to level things up and a man up at home things look good at half time despite only being level

Patser wrote: »
    Grealish!!!!

But probably better the wait 3 minutes now before commenting on a score to be VAR sure

I thought I was behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That VAR decision is so out of character with how they’ve been using VAR so far this season. What a joke.

Probably more worrying how we looked like a League 2 side visiting Man City up until they went down to 10, but have to go win this now, which will put a different slant on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ahead of Man Utd on the table as stands :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

El Ghazi having one of those days.

• Advertisement

Chance after chance, Hourihane free on peno spot - saved, El Ghazi on follow up skied, Wesley a few minutes later - wide

Don't like how this is going.

Don't like how this is going.

Me neither. Feel physically ill watching this match.

Why are we firing crosses in against Duffy and Dunk? Need to get in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Lacklustre and dull performance..where is the will to win and the passion villa ffs??

Davis is rotten.

whoever sanctioned the move for wesley should be sacked...jesus the guy cant even play for 80 mins and was missing for most of the match

TARGETTT LAST SECONDS

Targett! Good man Jackie.

Huge win. Cmon.

• Advertisement

A lb that can score, we're going to win the league

GTFI.

jesus what a goal..we needed that win badly.as next 2 games we will be blessed to even get a point over city and pool

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    whoever sanctioned the move for wesley should be sacked...jesus the guy cant even play for 80 mins and was missing for most of the match

Rubbish.

2 wins in a row is excellent.

Delighted Grealish got a goal and an assist in front of Southgate.

The sending off changed it, we were getting outplayed through the middle.

Var is trying to destroy us its shocking.

Some poor individual performances from AEG and Wesley.

Marvellous, McGinn and Guilbert were quieter than usual too.
    Thought Trezeguet did well when he came on.

Top half of table, 5 points off Champions League (sounds a lot better than relegation zone 2 weeks ago)

Rubbish.
    You were obviously watching a different game to me then.as the guy was useless today,didnt track back..and on 2 occasions on the attack he wasnt even in the oppositions half..he was huffing and puffing,He didnt play the target man at all today and i cant see how you can defend him after that display

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    You were obviously watching a different game to me then.as the guy was useless today,didnt track back..and on 2 occasions on the attack he wasnt even in the oppositions half..he was huffing and puffing,He didnt play the target man at all today and i cant see how you can defend him after that display

Bad display but these things are to be expected with new signings. Especially strikers. His price was lowish by today's standards, there'll be ups and downs, it's called a settling in period.

Bad display but these things are to be expected with new signings. Especially strikers. His price was lowish by today's standards, there'll be ups and downs, it's called a settling in period.
    As much as i would like to agree with your post JPA i just think we are going to splash out on a poacher in january and wesley will play backup,the league is unforgiving as you know,and we have to put as many points on the board this side of christmas to have any chance of staying in it.

• Advertisement

Jaysus I’ve no idea how I’ve just logged in and seen Wesley be the whipping boy again, given how poor those around him were. Davis would have fared no better in that team.

Blessed to get the win but what a moment it was to be there for!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Great result but we badly need a new striker , if wesley keeps have off days then davies is shocking back up for a prem team

sc86 wrote: »
    Great result but we badly need a new striker , if wesley keeps have off days then davies is shocking back up for a prem team

El Ghazi is the one that needs replacing. It’s all well and good slaughtering the striker when the players around him don’t create chances. The amount of crosses that end up closer to the opposite corner flag than any recipient in the box is worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Yes hard argue with that also

The points total we have already is decent on the upside , even if var is trying to relegate us

Grealish was fantastic today, even when Brighton were on top he was the guy making things happen. Brighton played well and will feel unlucky although Villa have played better this season and come out with nothing so it's good can still get a win not playing overall that well. Some decisions were ridiculous today, free kick that led to Brightons goal wasn't even a foul and the foul given against Wesley was a crazy decision.

I think the pressing was a bit off today, it seemed not as forceful with it than in previous games, almost in a tired way, which is strange after an international break. Performances will be up and down though, good to see that from both ways 3 points can be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Corholio wrote: »
    Grealish was fantastic today, even when Brighton were on top he was the guy making things happen. Brighton played well and will feel unlucky although Villa have played better this season and come out with nothing so it's good can still get a win not playing overall that well. Some decisions were ridiculous today, free kick that led to Brightons goal wasn't even a foul and the foul given against Wesley was a crazy decision.

I think the pressing was a bit off today, it seemed not as forceful with it than in previous games, almost in a tired way, which is strange after an international break. Performances will be up and down though, good to see that from both ways 3 points can be got.

No, doubt Grealish did have a good game but when we were trying for the second goal it was too easy for Brighton to defend. I thought he was trying to do too much and it did pay off with his pass to Targett but we needed someone else to step up and try a different approach.

I thought we applied pressure from their goal kicks and tried to forcre an error but Brighton managed to create some good chances even with 10 men

VAR is a joke inasmuch as it's too slow, the decision shouldn't be made as the game is about to restart this happened to us in the last match as well. I don't think we've had the benefit of a VAR decision yet and it really does take away from the spontaneity especially for our second goal. I suspect the reaction from the Villa fans to VAR will be suitably muted on Match of Today tonight. The loud cheer when Brighton restarted after our first goal was funny though.

• Advertisement

Will be wearing that, shall we say, divisive third kit tomorrow. I actually like it :P.

Douglas Luiz called up to full Brazil squad for friendly matches in November.

Kodjia and Hause back in contention for City game.

Will be wearing that, shall we say, divisive third kit tomorrow. I actually like it :P.

November internationals. I was wondering what internationals they had in December!

Would expect Luiz to start tomorrow with Hourihane benched, we need more defensive cover in midfield.

Until the Brighton sending off we were getting over run in midfield.
    Big game needed from Wesley too in terms of pressing, holding the ball up and taking any chance that comes his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Would expect Luiz to start tomorrow with Hourihane benched, we need more defensive cover in midfield.

Until the Brighton sending off we were getting over run in midfield.
    Big game needed from Wesley too in terms of pressing, holding the ball up and taking any chance that comes his way.

Agreed about Wesley he's got to be getting more involved, we can't allow them to put us under siege like we were against Spurs and Arsenal. Starting line up and substitutions will play a big part.

I'm going to the game and like most Villa fans expect to get nothing from it but ultimately we can't get too despondant, we'd have been happy playing away to Man City in the PL this time last year and you never know in football.

Please don't let it be us tomorrow-

But Southampton's current implosion has to be good for us

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement