Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    Would expect Luiz to start tomorrow with Hourihane benched, we need more defensive cover in midfield.

Until the Brighton sending off we were getting over run in midfield.
    Big game needed from Wesley too in terms of pressing, holding the ball up and taking any chance that comes his way.

Hopefully Luiz does start but Smith is a manager reluctant to change a winning team. We'll need some level of control or it could go fairly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bit weird to say when back in the PL but I'm already looking ahead to the Carabao cup game. Anything from the game tomorrow will be a bonus. No hammering and no injuries too. I think there will be some chances there though, not many but some with the way the team plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fearing the worst today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

The good news is if we keep it to conceding 5 or 6, the Southampton result will blow over it.

I remember when we had the record win the the PL. 7-1 against either Swindon or Ipswich and I think it was 2 weeks later Man U spanked Ipswich 9-0.

Our record lasted a couple of weeks, theirs about 27 years.

Luiz and Trezeguet in, Hourihane and El Ghazi out.
    Good call, we'll see what happens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd take a draw here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I'd take a draw here.

I’d bite the hand off you for a draw. We’re working hard but it’s not clicking for us when we get forward. City look dangerous but wasteful. That won’t last.

Solid half that. Only Silva's missed chance was only big one I could recall. Douglas Luiz has played well, has beautiful control of the ball at times. Trez needs to calm at times, feels like he tries really difficult things sometimes. Will be even tougher in 2nd half of course, will be hard to keep up rearguard effort.

That Grealish yellow card was nonsense as well, that's the type of terrible decision that leads to a second yellow and a red.

I know it's City but we're giving the ball away an awful lot.

Corholio wrote: »

That Grealish yellow card was nonsense as well, that's the type of terrible decision that leads to a second yellow and a red.

Yep, absolute bs yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The ref was right in line for it too.

Ridiculous clearly see sterling was leaning in with his head basically prefailing , yellow should have been his

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Defo take a draw now.

Disappointing goal to give away. Amazing how many times that happens in matches not long after the restart after a whole half of good defending.

Disappointing goal to give away. Amazing how many times that happens in matches not long after the restart after a whole half of good defending.

Probably thinking "we're doing ok here" and then starting to relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

If thats for villa its no goal

3 nil. Let's try keep it there.

Blow it up ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

No watching to flash score is bouncing. I assume we are falling apart now

Might want to take off Grealish here.

• Advertisement

Grealish going off with knock, hopefully just a small one. El Ghazi on.

McGinn hits the post. Davis unlucky there too. Has played good since he came on.

Full time. Sloppy start to second half was the difference. Would have been interesting to see if hadn't conceded right after half time.

Radio 5 live cant understand how var goal stood
    Bt sport couldnt see why it wouldnt stand

Shows the var madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

sc86 wrote: »
    Radio 5 live cant understand how var goal stood
    Bt sport couldnt see why it wouldnt stand

Shows the var madness

In fairness I couldn't figure it out either, if it's KDB's goal it's ok if it's Silva then Sterling is offside and interfering with play but I couldn't figure out if Silva touched it

The laws of the game are designed around the referee seeing and making a decision.

Silva was literally telling the ref that he touched it. If VAR can't tell conclusively surely the ref can pass on that. It was already tough, doesn't help when VAR makes it harder. Villa pretty hard hit by it a lot this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Davis looks to be more of a physical threat than Wesley. He certainly left his mark (literally) when he came on.

It’s becoming a joke. They say these things even up over the course of a season. If that’s genuinely the case, we’ve a wonderful 2020 awaiting us because referees with the aid of video technology have been royally screwing Villa.

Panrich wrote: »
    Davis looks to be more of a physical threat than Wesley. He certainly left his mark (literally) when he came on.

He is more physical but he also has 2 goals in his whole Villa career. Wesley got that in 1 game. Have to stick with him and let him settle into English football.

Grealish has a calf injury, left the ground on crutches, although that seems to be just precautionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Grealish has a calf injury, left the ground on crutches, although that seems to be just precautionary.

I really think he should of came off after the 3rd goal, pointless leaving him on. It may seem like throwing in the towel but our season won't be defined by an away game at city.

I'd even have no problem resting him for the next game against Liverpool if he's not 100%

Poor from Wesley again, I'm not sure what his attributes are, he's not physical or powerful, technically he's weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

We did well in the first half managed to contain them and had a few counter attacks. The first goal was a setback but the second did the damage we didn't look like scoring two.

Through no fault of their own the game bypassed McGinn and Jack in midfield same scenario as Spurs & Arsenal we couldn't get out from our 18 yard box. We were a bit unlucky and couldnt get the second ball summed up byMcGinn's shot off the post which went straight to their keeper.

I don't think we played badly the difference being not only do they have very talented players City are exceptionally well drilled as a team.

I think Dean Smith is spot on when he says we were 28/1 to win today the challenge is to be 4/1 next season

Benrahma outstanding for Brentford tonight against QPR. With perhaps being in for a striker it mightn't be a priority, but would love to see him at Villa Park.

Benrahma outstanding for Brentford tonight against QPR. With perhaps being in for a striker it mightn't be a priority, but would love to see him at Villa Park.

Wide is probably the weakest area of the team right now.

Sign him up, he's a starter.

Fantastic talent, ticks all the boxes of the player profile the club want.

I think someone like Benrahma in the team may get more out of Wesley as well, had great link up with Watkins tonight.

This was great.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1188915583779246081?s=19

Starting XI - Steer, Elmohamady, Konsa, Hause, Taylor, Hourihane, Douglas Luiz, Lansbury, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Davis.

Decent starting team.

Wolves made lots of changes including two 16 year olds starting.

Great to see Chester back in the squad. Put his body on the line to help the team so hopefully he is able to contribute something this season if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Any links for the game tonight?

I fancy us to go far in this comp. Obviously just jinxed it but just a feeling.

• Advertisement

1-0 El Ghazi.

Davis off with a knock, Kodjia on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Jaysus, what happened to Kodjia- I knew he was injured - but just came in with clear protective face mask and I wrist in a cast. Looks like he survived a serious fire and accident

Wolves have equalized. Think it goes straight to penos in the event?

1-1 but that looked well offside

2-1 Villa now.

2-1 instant reply

Elmo who was at fault for equaliser flicking in Hourihane free

This is really the sort of game you want to see Douglas Luiz step up and control midfield - opposition is youngsters or b team, so it'd be great to see someone with the potential of Luiz or for a Lansbury, Trezeguet or Hause to shout 'look at me!!!'

Patser wrote: »
    2-1 instant reply

Elmo who was at fault for equaliser flicking in Hourihane free

Looked to be Lansbury.

• Advertisement

Looked to be Lansbury.

At fault? Was it not Elmo caught with ball that went down injured.

Either way defo Lansbury who just missed free header, perfect cross, Lansbury arriving perfectly, lovely jump and ball......hits side of head and trickles away softly well wide.

Then subbed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement