Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Luiz was the one caught for the goal. Scrappy second half really, with Villa still being well on top with everything going through Luiz. He's been very good, bar the slip for the goal.

Full time. 2-1.

Very scrappy 2nd half, definitely could see it was a mix of players. Trez was pretty poor tonight, his decision making can be way off sometimes.

Good to be in the quarters though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice result with all the changes.

Colchester or Oxford please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Trez is just trying too hard - always trying to beat the man or score a beauty, like he needs a confidence boost. Not yet content to realise that getting into space, dragging defenders out and feeding on another is enough. Instead its get ball try something singlehandedly, not be bad at it but not good enough, lose ball, throw hands up to suggest it was so close.

Instead for Hourihane or Luiz its get ball, turn and look for space to pass into, Hourihane especially get up to support, oh there's no space, let's go back, keep ball and try something else. Because of that at one point mid 2nd half Villa had 73% possession. Compare that to Bruce era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Hopefully only a hamstring strain for Davis and not something more serious - for himself and for the team.

I think he had a chance to stake a claim for the starting striker role tonight. Kodjia offers very little in that role so we are verrrry light if only him and Wesley fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Not convincing, dominated possession but created very few chances.

Luiz was decent. No standout performers.

Taylor was muck as usual, Trez poor as another poster stated, Davis never looks like he'll score. We miss Jota in a second string team like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Patser wrote: »
    At fault? Was it not Elmo caught with ball that went down injured.

Either way defo Lansbury who just missed free header, perfect cross, Lansbury arriving perfectly, lovely jump and ball......hits side of head and trickles away softly well wide.

Then subbed

Lansbury took the free not Hourihane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

A win is a win!
    Good cup run would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

This is really the sort of game you want to see Douglas Luiz step up and control midfield '
    I think he did it was probably his best game for us so far and we need it because I think we rely on Jack too much and need someone else to create and give us another option in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Corholio wrote: »
    Luiz was the one caught for the goal. Scrappy second half really, with Villa still being well on top with everything going through Luiz. He's been very good, bar the slip for the goal.

Not for the first time he has slipped up for an opposition goal. Hopefully will work on that side of his game as looks a promising signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Lads must be seeing something in Davis that I don't see. Lads saying tonight was a chance for him to lay down a claim for a starting spot. He is miles off this level. Would like to see him get an extended run for a full season at a top champ club so see what he can actually do.

Kodja might be sold in January and hopefully Smith has a good replacement lined up to challenge Wesley for the main striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Lads must be seeing something in Davis that I don't see. Lads saying tonight was a chance for him to lay down a claim for a starting spot. He is miles off this level. Would like to see him get an extended run for a full season at a top champ club so see what he can actually do.

Kodja might be sold in January and hopefully Smith has a good replacement lined up to challenge Wesley for the main striker.

Davis is good but hes not a goal scorer. Holds up the ball well.

Word has it we are looking at that head banger Morales from Rangers. Hes already scored 18 this season but I think he got 5 red cards last year. 20 million is the price.

I still think Wesley will come good. Hes young and in a new league.

davies needs to go on loan somewhere , we need a guy ready to rock straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We've gotten Liverpool in the quarters

At least its a home tie and VP should be rocking.

there going to be at the club world cup , hows that going to work?
    i see liverpool talking about pulling out now

how do city keep getting these handy draws?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not the draw we wanted, but Liverpool wouldn't have wanted it either.

Liverpool likely to play their kids again surely so we should be favourites. You do often find that the youngsters manage to elevate their performances when playing in the ‘first team’ but we should have too much for them.

It’s a matter of fact that last night was a chance for him to lay claim to starting place. Smith has said he’s a big fan, he’s ahead of Kodjia in the pecking order as he works better in our system and Wesley hasn’t quite lived up to expectations yet.

However, it’s more of an indictment of our striking options than an endorsement of Davis an amazing player.

I agree that a striker should be a priority in January and then I’d be Ok with Davis going on loan as I think he needs regular football and scoring opportunities to aid his development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

sc86 wrote: »
    there going to be at the club world cup , hows that going to work?
    i see liverpool talking about pulling out now

I'd take a bye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Easy Rod wrote: »
    It’s a matter of fact that last night was a chance for him to lay claim to starting place. Smith has said he’s a big fan, he’s ahead of Kodjia in the pecking order as he works better in our system and Wesley hasn’t quite lived up to expectations yet.

However, it’s more of an indictment of our striking options than an endorsement of Davis an amazing player.

I agree that a striker should be a priority in January and then I’d be Ok with Davis going on loan as I think he needs regular football and scoring opportunities to aid his development.

Wesley has scored 4 goals in 10 games that included Arsenal, Man City and Spurs. Hes well on his way to 15 in his first PL season. That's pretty impressive.

We've been sitting deeper and deeper in some of those games and he will struggle to score more. I think he will finish ahead of others like Maupay who've just come into the league. The wingers arent helping but they are new to the league as well.

Looking forward to seeing Jota back. If he had a hernia for that long, I'd expect another 20% out of him.

LeBash wrote: »
    Wesley has scored 4 goals in 10 games that included Arsenal, Man City and Spurs. Hes well on his way to 15 in his first PL season. That's pretty impressive.

We've been sitting deeper and deeper in some of those games and he will struggle to score more. I think he will finish ahead of others like Maupay who've just come into the league. The wingers arent helping but they are new to the league as well.

Looking forward to seeing Jota back. If he had a hernia for that long, I'd expect another 20% out of him.

I don’t think Wesley has been terrible by any stretch, he’s still very young and settling into a new club and has performed well in patches but I think any Villa fan would have been hoping for a little more. He has a tendency to go missing when we really need that bit of physicality and energy to hold up the ball up front.

All I was saying was if Davis had scored 2 goals last night and played out of his skin then Dean Smith would have had a difficult decision for Liverpool. He didn’t play well and got injured so Wesley is still a clear first choice.

Wesley isn't a world beater but he's miles ahead of Davis.

LeBash wrote: »

He's scored against Everton, Norwich(x2), Arsenal.
    He missed a penalty.
    He's 1 assist.

Apart from that, he's done very little in games.
    He really needs to at least get physical.
    Technically as I stated a few weeks back, he's poor.
    I'm still not sure what he's strengths are yet.

Davis out for 3-4 weeks. Hopefully Kodjia can show something to take bit of weight off Wesley. Smith says he's undecided on whether Grealish starts against Liverpool or not.

Grealish nominated for the player of the month award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Smith nominated for manager of the month also

No Grealish today, failed fitness test. Had a feeling he wouldn't be playing after Smith's conference yesterday. El Ghazi in to replace him.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1190629654442450944?s=19

• Advertisement

Bit defensive with both Luiz and Nakamba in, would have liked to see Conor in as we might be feeding off set pieces

Bit defensive with both Luiz and Nakamba in, would have liked to see Conor in as we might be feeding off set pieces

I'd guess the emphasis will be on JM to push on and get into the box.

I'm not too upset JG misses out if it means he'll be fully recovered for the next game.

In the lead....

Trezeguet

Trez! 1-0.

Easy goal from a free kick, Trez sweeps home from cross.

Uh oh. VAR. He looks definitely on, Liverpool player ahead of him.

Goal given!

Bloody var , surprised it wasnt overturned

VAR actually allowed us keep a goal, is that allowed. I'll take it

• Advertisement

VAR disallowed a Pool goal (by mms), it's on our side today

He was just off. Line of his shoulder was just ahead of the other line (Mings knee)

Our son..

Great chance for Trez. Brilliant break from McGinn and cross from El Ghazi. Wild swing from Trez though.

Trez with a complete air shot when going for glory volley while free in box after great break - header probably the better option.

And that's a dive by Mané

• Advertisement

1-0 up at half time

But absolute backs to the wall stuff since we went ahead, and scrappy, scrappy defending. No hold up of ball to ease the pressure- Wesley throwing a fit every time he gets out muscled. El Ghazi and Trez head down charge into bodies, Luiz anonymous. McGinn absolutely brilliant, battling for everything, getting involved and in the way of so much.

We're lucky Mané having a poor game, and Firmino but they've been within inches of being through so many times

Id take a draw now
    Backs to wall and a long way to go
    Cant get out of our half

Wesley is offering nothing, nothing!!!

Take him off for Hourihane, shore up midfield and play Trezeguet up front - he's having a good game, chasing everything and looking to get in behind their defence

Edit: instead with get Elmo for Guilbert, that'll change things....

Hard argue with that

Hourihane on for Luiz

And Liverpool missed 2 more great chances

Lucky that handball wasnt spotted

Almost 2 - great play in a break, Hourihane for Wesley for a tap in, defender got toes barely to it

El gazi asleep

1 all

Bollixxxxxxx

1-1 87th minute

In big trouble with this free

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement